True Detective #3

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I have been very impressed with the third installment of True Detective on HBO. The first two iterations were okay and had their moments but the latest is more interesting to me. With only two of the eight episodes left to go I am still not sure what surprises await. The way the story unfolds it jumps between three timeframes in each episode. The original crime takes place around 1979-80. The case is reopened again ten years later. The story then jumps another 25 years to 2015. Both Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff pull this off nicely. I would be surprised if Ali is not nominated for both an Emmy and Golden Globe for his role. He continues to add to his list of strong performances in House of Cards, Moonlight and Greenbook.

Reactions: AJR

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I really liked season 1 maybe so much that it set the bar way too high for season 2. Season 2 was an absolute disappointment with very little character development. I slept through that one. Season 3 got my attention again. Great characters and acting. I haven't been a fan of Stephen Dorff (Blade) but he's very believable in this role and Ali may as well be Purple Haze. It doesn't seem like acting for him.

Dave

Reactions: ddk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing