Truth

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
WBF members,

When people say finding the musical truth, how is this defined?

Does one really know especially when they did not perform, record, or engineer it?

Thoughts?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think the answer to this question must begin with another question: "What is your definition of musical truth?"

Here are four possible definitions of "musical truth":

1) recreate the sound of an original musical event

2) reproduce exactly what is on the tape, vinyl or digital source being played

3) create a sound subjectively pleasing to the audiophile

4) create a sound that seems live

I think the answer to this question drives the answer to your question.

Reactions: Coimbra and KeithR

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
WBF members,

Does one really know especially when they did not perform, record, or engineer it?

Thoughts?

It's not defined. Every time we hear some tiny improvement we're convinced we're hearing musical truth. And if the improvement was legit, then indeed we are hearing just a tad more musical truth than before the improvement. Of course our ability to discern what we hear is crucial.

But the important thing to remember is that we can only strive toward 100% of the "musical truth" embedded in the recording and not from the actual live performance. The musical truth of the live performance and the hall it was captured in occurred in a moment in time and is now long gone. The only thing we have left is what was captured in the recording.

Hence, our focus is limited to keeping the vast majority of the musical truth (music info) read from a given recoridng audible at the speaker rather than remaining inaudible buried beneath a much raised noise floor. The lower a given system's noise floor the more musical truth you shall hear.

If it helps any, I think it's impossible for any to hear 100% of a recording's musical truth as that requires perfection and that technology does not exist. But that's the goal or should be as that seems to be the only reasonably and logically achievable goal.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
WBF members,

Thoughts?

when it moves me, It’s close enough.. It’s a facsimile of the live event.. I don’t expect it to sound quite the same.. its gets better with each attempt..

Reactions: PeterA

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
I think the answer to this question must begin with another question: "What is your definition of musical truth?"

I’ll pick what’s behind door # 3......

Cheers....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

You get good recordings, on that engineers have recorded quite well the sound of the original event. You reproduce that accurately, you will get the original event which will then obviously seem live. And if you like live sound it will be subjectively overseeing pleasing. There. I hit all cases

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing