TT Lighting

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I hope this is the right place for such a post. If not, I apologize in advance.

After many years I'm finally getting a new TT. Up to a few hours ago, I was planning on the J. Sikora Standard Max Line - awesome sound. However, since this is going in our Great Room, my wife (who wants a TT as well) said she liked the looks of my other consideration - Bergmann Glader with Tri-Planar U-12 Arm. She likes the cleaner lines, etc. Of course, I just want the best sound ... but I don't think I'll be disappointed with either.

Anyway, while the TT decision is still going on, I was wondering which TT light everyone here uses on their TT? Noise also enters into the picture with a light directly over the TT. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I hope this is the right place for such a post. If not, I apologize in advance.

After many years I'm finally getting a new TT. Up to a few hours ago, I was planning on the J. Sikora Standard Max Line - awesome sound. However, since this is going in our Great Room, my wife (who wants a TT as well) said she liked the looks of my other consideration - Bergmann Glader with Tri-Planar U-12 Arm. She likes the cleaner lines, etc. Of course, I just want the best sound ... but I don't think I'll be disappointed with either.

Anyway, while the TT decision is still going on, I was wondering which TT light everyone here uses on their TT? Noise also enters into the picture with a light directly over the TT. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
i use 4 of these. it does use a SMPS but it's located far from the lamp, and should be plugged into a circuit isolated from your signal path.

here is a picture from last year when i only used three.

1633203905163.png

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Mike,

Many thanks and thanks for the link as well.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
full disclosure; those three lamps above are slightly different from the Gen 3 version in the link i provided.

this newest version has a solid light bar across, instead of the little round light points. so i took a hole punch and electricians tape and covered the solid light bar with the tape to mimic the same look for my fourth lamp so it matches. this newer version has an advantage over the older versions in that the adjustment is on the top so it's easy to reach. the old one's have the adjustment lower on the stem and so i have to go behind my tt's to adjust them.

the tape thing works perfectly, and the LED's, which last 30,000 hours, do not give off any heat, so the tape stays perfectly fine.

Reactions: Johan K and Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
full disclosure; those three lamps above are slightly different from the Gen 3 version in the link i provided.

this newest version has a solid light bar across, instead of the little round light points. so i took a hole punch and electricians tape and covered the solid light bar with the tape to mimic the same look for my fourth lamp so it matches. this newer version has an advantage over the older versions in that the adjustment is on the top so it's easy to reach. the old one's have the adjustment lower on the stem and so i have to go behind my tt's to adjust them.

the tape thing works perfectly, and the LED's, which last 30,000 hours, do not give off any heat, so the tape stays perfectly fine.

That‘s extremely innovative. Thanks for the tip.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
chart lamps for boats are very useful for this purpose

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I use 4 of these. it does use a SMPS but it's located far from the lamp, and should be plugged into a circuit isolated from your signal path.

Lol I love this level of detail. Only you can achieve this

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
I bought a portable LED dimmable reading lamp from Amazon UK for about £20 GBP.

It has a rechargeable battery fitted, with a USB plug to accept a cable from an appropriate charger, so no permanent mains connection or noisy SMPS.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
I bought a portable LED dimmable reading lamp from Amazon UK for about £20 GBP.

It has a rechargeable battery fitted, with a USB plug to accept a cable from an appropriate charger, so no permanent mains connection or noisy SMPS.

Attachments

• 0CC49D43-2469-41B9-8DB6-87F3EEBF32F6.jpeg
    0CC49D43-2469-41B9-8DB6-87F3EEBF32F6.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 28

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
XCop5089, Thats very nice!!!

Reactions: XCop5089

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
The Uber light mentioned above. We’ve ordered two more, one for the TT and one for the CD Rack. They come in different configurations - clip on and solid - both with various lighting configurations.

E7B9D8D0-9395-46CE-87F6-0AF8C981DFF2.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
i use 4 of these. it does use a SMPS but it's located far from the lamp, and should be plugged into a circuit isolated from your signal path.

here is a picture from last year when i only used three.

View attachment 82439

I just ordered one of these, in the "cool" daylight color temperature.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I really like your storage cabinet for your records. Where do you find something like that?
Best wishes,
Don

Esty of all places. Paul P. manages RecordCabinets. They come in multiple stain preferences and configurations. Mine holds app 600 lps, others hold many more. Paul does exceptional work. Quick delivery too.

662DA681-0EAF-43A3-B180-AC08AC9488CC.jpeg 341C9EBC-0313-479B-98A6-8A5BF54A3E18.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing