TT with platter 50 kg

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
We are talking of AF0 with a platter of 54 kg,
and i think also this TT Horning Sati,with a platter of 50 kg is no bad,with a price list of 24.500 euro
Italian distributor is same of Techdas
He sold one,never compared with Techies but told me is very good

Attachments

• IMG_5387.jpg
    IMG_5387.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: 108CY and bonzo75

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
and i think also this TT Horning Sati,with a platter of 50 kg is no bad,with a price list of 24.500 euro

Dear Gian,

Bon Natale!

You can't value turntables by the kilo like you buy prosciutto, there's a lot of engineering and design involved to build even something above average and things get even more complex when you start looking at high end tts like the AF1, to get into the AS2000, AF0 level many more things come into play including the materials, the Horning might be a nice tt but it's just another one with a simple inverted bearing so common everywhere with all it's shortcomings.

david

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Dear Gian,

Bon Natale!

You can't value turntables by the kilo like you buy prosciutto, there's a lot of engineering and design involved to build even something above average and things get even more complex when you start looking at high end tts like the AF1, to get into the AS2000, AF0 level many more things come into play including the materials, the Horning might be a nice tt but it's just another one with a simple inverted bearing so common everywhere with all it's shortcomings.

david
He sure has high claims describing motor and controller. Has anybody here
heard one ?

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Dear Gian,

Bon Natale!

david
What a sensible comment. Needs to be said more often

Reactions: rockhopper

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear David,
Buon Natale also to you.
I know no comparison between HS and others like AS,AF0 and AF1,but i think for his price can be a good choice,in his price range
It remember me when i had 22 years ago Symphonic line RG 6 with heavy platter
I remember like a very good TT,

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Dear Gian,

a simple inverted bearing so common everywhere with all it's shortcomings.

david

Merry Xmas Dave! Do you mean here that the thrust plate is intimately coupled to the platter so all the friction artefacts, generated during the rotation, reach the record more easily?

Cheers,

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Can someone explain different types of bearings and pros and cons?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Merry Xmas Dave! Do you mean here that the thrust plate is intimately coupled to the platter so all the friction artefacts, generated during the rotation, reach the record more easily?

Cheers,

Merry Christmas Jarek!

In a sense yes :), the inverted bearing design can sound quite nice and it's advantage is that it's simpler manufacture a higher quality than a traditional oil immersed bearing type, on the downside it's limited and there's only so far you go with it; IMO. Basically it's an upside down shaft with a ball bearing sitting on top, hence inverted and the bearing housing is sitting on top now under the platter. Here's the famous Final Labs Parthenon which is now AN Ginga's inverted bearing,

Inverted-1.jpg

Inverted-2.jpg

There's usually some kind of a hood with the built in dry bearing housing and a connected spindle for the platter to sit on.

Inverted-3.jpg

Inverted-4.jpg

Inverted-5.jpg

In the absence of an oil bath some try to dampen the bearing and it's effect on the platter by using magnets which I don't find particularly effective but YMMV.

Inverted-6.jpg

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Can someone explain different types of bearings and pros and cons?

We can find a lot of information concerning the types of bearings, the pros and cons explanations are always too biased ...

Depending on perspective, turntable systems are too simple or too complex by unique, coherent explanations. Each design is an Independent case, made according to designer preferences.

For example, although apparently simple, IMHO David AS2000 is extremely complex - every detail matters and any deviance would ruin the design.

Reactions: carolus and ddk

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
We can find a lot of information concerning the types of bearings, the pros and cons explanations are always too biased ...

Depending on perspective, turntable systems are too simple or too complex by unique, coherent explanations. Each design is an Independent case, made according to designer preferences.

For example, although apparently simple, IMHO David AS2000 is extremely complex - every detail matters and any deviance would ruin the design.

Do you have examples, or better still, general topologies of too complex and too simple? Practical information? More than "depends on the implementation"? What makes complexity too complex?

For instance, vacuum hold down and floating platters? Thanks.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Thank you very much David for the explanations and the pictures. Your are right, the dry character of the inverted bearing is probably its most prominent feature (together with the non-inverted pendulum operation). Fantastic illustrations! I'm wondering why the complicated shape of the hood of the AN TT as compared to the original simple cone. Probably a thicker platter?

Cheers,

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thank you very much David for the explanations and the pictures. Your are right, the dry character of the inverted bearing is probably its most prominent feature (together with the non-inverted pendulum operation). Fantastic illustrations! I'm wondering why the complicated shape of the hood of the AN TT as compared to the original simple cone. Probably a thicker platter?

Cheers,
It's mostly a cosmetic evolution from the original Final Labs Parthenon that they started with and of course access to better machining.
david

Inverted-7.jpg

Reactions: 108CY

108CY

May 4, 2013

The sati can sound very good especially in terms of control and scale with get nuance it is actually a very low grain turntable with a uncluttered midrange. Quite impressive for a simple design.

Reactions: marmota

108CY

May 4, 2013
and Tommy Hørning is the only one who uses the 6C33 tube, as the regulator tube it is, in the SATI powersupply
\

Yes as far I know no one has used it before. I have a Sati somewhere its a very musically capable turntable.

Reactions: hairyderriere

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing