Tube amps with TAD CR-1's ? Recommendations ?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Is any one using tube amps with their TAD speakers? I am actually thinking about trying Conrad Johnson ART amps, either the ARTsa stereo or ART monos. I have to believe that combo will be wonderful. Thoughts?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Go for it! Bet either are great...with TADs which can take and use the extra power...monos possibly even better??

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Lloyd,

I'm thinking hard. I am just waiting for a few emails. :)

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
I can only suggest you:
Viva Audio Amps..
Marriage in the heaven.
Breathtaking...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
I probably wouldn't recommend a tube amp for the TAD CR-1. Its impedance curve averages about 8 ohms north of 400 Hz, and about 4 ohms south of 400 Hz. Most tube amps will sound a little weak south of 400 Hz on that speaker. Yeah I know that's probably counter-intuitive, but that's my take based on looking at the impedance curve and frequency response curve and taking into account that it's a stand-mount speaker.

That being said, low stands and/or placement near the wall would help out down there, so maybe with a little extra boundary reinforcement tube amps would work well. In that case, I'd probably lean towards push-pull tube amps over specialty tube amps (SET or OTL), at least from a frequency response standpoint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stef

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

David

Aug 11, 2012
Is any one using tube amps with their TAD speakers? I am actually thinking about trying Conrad Johnson ART amps, either the ARTsa stereo or ART monos. I have to believe that combo will be wonderful. Thoughts?
You should listen with Doshi Audio setup ... great combination.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
You should listen with Doshi Audio setup ... great combination.

I’m sure the Doshi are wonderful. I tried just about everything (and I mean everything) on my CR-1 but had to move on after about 2 years. Everything was great in its own way, but I could not shake the forwardness of the treble of my TADs. It was just too in my face for me and seemed a couple of dB more pronounced than everything else. It was almost painful to me with some volume. But they were terrific late night or low volume level listening speakers.

Reactions: bonzo75

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I’m sure the Doshi are wonderful. I tried just about everything (and I mean everything) on my CR-1 but had to move on after about 2 years. Everything was great in its own way, but I could not shake the forwardness of the treble of my TADs. It was just too in my face for me and seemed a couple of dB more pronounced than everything else. It was almost painful to me with some volume. But they were terrific late night or low volume level listening speakers.

Hey Joe, Happy New Year. Been a while...I have lost track of your system. What is it these days? I looked up your profile where the system part says "see signature". Would be great to hear how your system has evolved!

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
View attachment 46545 I have the TAD ME1 and find they sound much better with solid state than with tubes. Much more dynamic and alive and I am fan of tubes.

I'm driving my TAD E1 with ARC REF250SE. In the summer, I was using Hegel H30. Once I found a good matching PC on the Hegel, it was more different than one is much better than the other. If I had to choose, I did choose .... sold Hegel, I prefer ARC with superior timbre and more organic.

I'm back in the market for a SS amp again to use in summer. At this moment Agostino and Soulution are tops on the list.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hey Joe, Happy New Year. Been a while...I have lost track of your system. What is it these days? I looked up your profile where the system part says "see signature". Would be great to hear how your system has evolved!

Hi Lloyd,

Yes it’s been a while. I have Avantgarde Duo XD now and a variety of amps. I’m ecstatic with these speakers. Absolutely wonderful.

Reactions: morricab

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats...which amps work well with those amps?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very nice! Have heard good things about First Watt.

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
It´s been a while since last post, but i d´like to share my bi-amping experience:

Driving Mids and Treble of
TAD CR1s with
New Audio Frontiers 845 SE
and bottom end with TAD 2500 MK II

really shines and delivers tight and fast bass at the same time.
As the CR1 crosses at about 300hz with a high slope there is only a small overlap
All the best
Olivier

Reactions: morricab

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
While SS amp shopping for my TAD E1, ended picking up a pair of Convergent Audio Technology JL7. Still have the ARC REF250SE ... triode vs push pull, different sound and very enjoyable. Both high current amps should be able to drive new speakers when I upgrade .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing