Tube matching? How anal should one be? Can you hear the difference (outside of extreme circumstances)?

caesar

May 30, 2010
What is the value of tube matching?

What is the tolerable difference of tubes being matched vs. unmatched?

How frequently do you match? weekly monthly? yearly? only when you first get them?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
All IME/IMO. Bear in mind I do not have any tube gear in my current systems but have run many tube circuits over the years including several of my own design.

Tube designs tend to be single-ended with relatively low feedback. That makes them more sensitive to matched devices than typical SS circuits. Matching of both sides within a dual tube as well as tube-to-tube can be important to provide the same gain and frequency response from each channel. Matching power tubes in a push-pull design can also reduce distortion.

The tolerable difference depends upon the circuit and how sensitive you are to mismatch in gain (mainly, again IME/IMO). I usually strove for 1% matching but that was not always possible.

With new tubes, I checked matching after a few minutes to check for gross problems, then usually again after they had been running a few hours, and again around the 50~100 hour mark. That meant basically when I plugged them and and they had warmed up, at the end of a day or two of listening, and again after about a month. After that it depends but roughly every six months if using them daily. That said once the tubes had stabilized (which IME happened after 10~100 hours) they would often run for a 1000+ hours (power tubes) to 10,000+ hours (low-level tubes) before nearing EOL. At that point they would start to vary significantly but other things would indicate they were going bad as well (lower gain, higher noise, etc.) My experience is outdated at this point, but 1-5 years for a pair of power tubes and 5-10 years for a preamp/low-level tubes was not out of line, depending upon the design. Some designs run the tubes hotter than normal so they fail more quickly; others run them under-biased and they will last longer. I tended to use DC filament bias and there were claims that shortened their life; I did not observe that but my sample size was small. Running higher B+ voltage and greater current would drastically reduce their life (as some audiophiles and quite a few CB radio fans discovered).

FWIWFM - Don

caesar

May 30, 2010
All IME/IMO. Bear in mind I do not have any tube gear in my current systems but have run many tube circuits over the years including several of my own design.

Tube designs tend to be single-ended with relatively low feedback. That makes them more sensitive to matched devices than typical SS circuits. Matching of both sides within a dual tube as well as tube-to-tube can be important to provide the same gain and frequency response from each channel. Matching power tubes in a push-pull design can also reduce distortion.

The tolerable difference depends upon the circuit and how sensitive you are to mismatch in gain (mainly, again IME/IMO). I usually strove for 1% matching but that was not always possible.

With new tubes, I checked matching after a few minutes to check for gross problems, then usually again after they had been running a few hours, and again around the 50~100 hour mark. That meant basically when I plugged them and and they had warmed up, at the end of a day or two of listening, and again after about a month. After that it depends but roughly every six months if using them daily. That said once the tubes had stabilized (which IME happened after 10~100 hours) they would often run for a 1000+ hours (power tubes) to 10,000+ hours (low-level tubes) before nearing EOL. At that point they would start to vary significantly but other things would indicate they were going bad as well (lower gain, higher noise, etc.) My experience is outdated at this point, but 1-5 years for a pair of power tubes and 5-10 years for a preamp/low-level tubes was not out of line, depending upon the design. Some designs run the tubes hotter than normal so they fail more quickly; others run them under-biased and they will last longer. I tended to use DC filament bias and there were claims that shortened their life; I did not observe that but my sample size was small. Running higher B+ voltage and greater current would drastically reduce their life (as some audiophiles and quite a few CB radio fans discovered).

FWIWFM - Don

Thank you so much for such a comprehensive response!

caesar

May 30, 2010
So as a practical manner, if one has a pair of tubes that has been matched, and one of them blows out, can one just buy a seond tube? Or does one need to bu 2 matched tubes.
Thank you

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
My pleasure!

In a line stage I would just buy another tube. In an output stage I would get a matched pair as matching is more critical for low distortion, and like headlights, if one went out the next is probably on its way.

One caution is that most generic tube testers do not load the tubes anywhere near what the actual circuit does so it may be hard to see how well they are really matched, again and especially power tubes. Back in the day I built a custom tube tester for output tubes (audio and RF).

Finally, I do not know how good tubes are these days, but I found a significant variance in performance (gain, noise, etc.) even in low-level tubes. That is one thing that drove me away from tubes; I was having to buy two or three to find one good one. There has been something of a resurgence so hopefully that is not the cse today!

HTH - Don

Last edited:

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
Without a particular context the question is too ill-defined to warrant a serious answer.

Power tubes? Push pull or parallel SE? Channel to channel matching? Negative feedback or not?

The answer may vary between

- no matching needed at all for cathode follower stages
- matching practically unimportant in low level stages with deep NFB
- matching will reduce distortion in PP stages
- matching will improve interchannel balance and equalise distortion for low feedback preamps or input stages of power amps
- matching will improve distortion and max power for parallel output stages
- matching may be vital for the health of both amp and speakers in OTLs

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

denimhunter

Apr 9, 2020
What is the value of tube matching?

What is the tolerable difference of tubes being matched vs. unmatched?

How frequently do you match? weekly monthly? yearly? only when you first get them?

Matching does not mean just having same measurement. The construction of the tubes are sometimes more important. For example, Mullard 12ax7 long plate v short plate, they have very different tone and character even though the long and short plate tubes may measure very similar.

Analogsa is right, depends heavily what the tubes are used for

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thanks for the replies... For example, do 300B tubes need to be matched across the monoblocks for Audion Golden Nights (1 300b tube in each amp)?

Do all 6550s need to be matched in a VTL 750? Within a single monoblock? Across both monoblocks?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing