(Tube) phono stage with multiple equalization curves

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Waedenswil, near Zuerich, Switzerland
Dear all,

I’m looking for a phono stage that has not only RIAA, but multiple equalization curves, suitable for mono / microgrooves LPs (first priority) and may be also some for Shellac records (of lesser priority)

In addition to this above feature, I like:
All to be selected by remote control​
Tube stage preferred​
It could be a MM only stage, as I already have a very suitable step-up-transformer, matching my collection of “Very-Low Output” cartridges​

Price range : it would be nice to remain below 10 K Euros or so, (but maybe this unrealistic :rolleyes:)

I already own the Lab12 MELTO2, with excellent value for money, but I hope to have more EQ-Curves to select from .
For normal “RIAA –Service” I also use a MM-RIAA Tube phono amp

My short-list of names currently consists of :
  • Audio Research Phono Reference 2 and 3 (the "10" is out of budget !)
  • Thöress (no Remote)
  • TW-Acustic “Raven” RPS 100 (probably no remote)
  • AMR Phono PH-77 - THIS would be my favourite, but sadly it’s out of production and very rare
  • EM (=EMT) , FM-Acoustic (both out of budget – and no remote)

Who could help me with completing my attempt of a market overview and knows other / new models ?

AND: Who owns or has direct experience with any model of the above list - or other ?

Thanks for your help !

Regards

Urs

Last edited:
Reactions: shakti

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Allnic. The models which end with V, like 3000v, 7000v, are a bit more expensive than the one without the V and have the EQ curve.

Phasemation has two curves, I compa red their middle phono with the twice priced thrax. There is a write up on my blog. Decca and one more curve I forget. As does a small Italian brand that I compared with the FM 123

EMT of course.

And this
https://www.esotericsound.com/REEQ.pdf

Reactions: gian60

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I own an Allnic 7000v phono stage in excellent condition, which I can sell for 7500 pounds with the KR 5u4g special rectifier. You can take the stock rectifier as well but the performance boosts with the Allnic.

I am selling because I don't have a system. I buy to send around to friends and do compares. For example, I bought this to compare with Ypsilon phono. I have already compared the 3000 with trulife and zesto and heard it many times, so bought the 7000v. You can see a long history of posts from me of praising Allnic provided the recti is rolled

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Bonzo,
" Merci" as well
Yes, I forgot the ALLNIC, and ZANDEN that also have various EQ curves.
With "EM" I meant EMT - one the absolute Top of the Line Phono stages - regretfully with a matching price tag

Regards
Urs

PS: I have the "Re-Equalizer" as well - but it interfers with some of my applications; that's why I'm after a "High-End" ;) integrated amp with eq-curves

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Montesquieu had the thoress as well as my Allnic to try side by side next to his Ear. He ended up buying the Allnic. I have heard the thoress many times and prefer the Allnic. I found the Allnic 3000 superior to Trulife 25k phono and to the lesser priced zesto but only after rolling the rectifier. Recently we compared to the 26k Ypsilon. Both are very good. Ypsilon is more inflexible and needs a SUT with every cart. It has a cleaner high than Allnic, while Allnic has more dynamic contrast and a nice flow. The Allnic with stock recti was much less compared to the Ypsilon but with the KR recti was comparable, with both having attributes where if you owned one you wouldn't want to change to the other. I have also compared the 5000 with Aesthetix IO eclipse and preferred the 5000 though Aesthetix you can make it sound any way you want if you roll 26 tubes

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I considered the AMR before due to the flexibility and remote, but based on some user feedback-without listening to it myself, picked up the Allnic. If I wanted SS I would go for an used FM 122 their EQ is good and effective. Touraj of Vertere demonstrated it to me at his place

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Gold Note PH-10 - not tube but certainly one of the cheaper phono stages with curve choices.

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Thanks for your interesting info !

As I'm based in Switzerland, I would need at least some European service facility - or even manufacturing.
(Purchasing directly from outside Europe could be problematic, due to voltage differences, especially if it’s e.g. a US / Canadian brand, which may only be wired for 120 Volts / 60 Hz ?)

Regards

Urs

BTW: The ZANDEN I had a check in the "Net" - they get most excellent reviews; curves are changed manually, and , afaik, they only have an MC input - is this correct ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
However I think the equalization curves are changed manually rather than by remote but I could be wrong

Only AMR allowed EQ curves to be changed by remote as far as I know

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Bonzo,
Remotes have the AMR , and I think the Audio Research Reference 2 & 3 - but they only have 2 or 3 extra curves.
that's why I'd like to know more about the AMR - IF I CAN EVER FIND ONE ?!?

Regards
Urs

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I heard the Zanden 2 weeks ago at Marty’s house. It was spectacular. It was a 1200 Mk3

The Zanden 1200 Mk3 does not have a MM input as far as I know and the EQ curves are changed manually on the front panel using a rotary dial. There are two schools of thought on the various EQ curves offered. Roy Gregory thinks they are essential. Valin thinks they are basically tone controls and prefers to stick with the RIAA curve option since almost everyone who made records after 1956/7 adheres to the RIAA curve. I'm sort of in the middle. I think the RIAA curve works beautifully for everything but one can improve upon it when playing Deccas. I thought I had some great sounding Decca's but I never knew just how great. Using them with the Decca curve elevates them to the "holy cow" category. I'm now in pursuit of acquiring more of them than I would have ordinarily thought to do. It's kind of a classic "rediscovering what you have" experience when you get a new piece of highly revealing gear. In general, the Zanden playback of Deccas using the Decca curve has made me far more appreciative of the Decca recording engineers of the 60's. These guys were damn good and knew what they were doing. Such beautiful tone and balance. Not a surprise from the folks who pioneered the Decca microphone tree, which is still in widespread use today.

Reactions: Lagonda

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Zanden 1200 Mk3 does not have a MM input as far as I know and the EQ curves are changed manually on the front panel using a rotary dial. There are two schools of thought on the various EQ curves offered. Roy Gregory thinks they are essential. Valin thinks they are basically tone controls and prefers to stick with the RIAA curve option since almost everyone who made records after 1956/7 adheres to the RIAA curve. I'm sort of in the middle. I think the RIAA curve works beautifully for everything but one can improve upon it when playing Deccas. I thought I had some great sounding Decca's but I never knew just how great. Using them with the Decca curve elevates them to the "holy cow" category. I'm now in pursuit of acquiring more of them than I would have ordinarily thought to do. It's kind of a classic "rediscovering what you have" experience when you get a new piece of highly revealing gear. In general, the Zanden playback of Deccas using the Decca curve has made me far more appreciative of the Decca recording engineers of the 60's. These guys were damn good and knew what they were doing. Such beautiful tone and balance. Not a surprise from the folks who pioneered the Decca microphone tree, which is still in widespread use today.

Well, there is a lot of dispute about playing the Decca LPs of the 60's using the Decca equalization. This curve overboosts treble around 2 db compared to the RIAA and , as far as I have read, in reality these recordings were cut using RIAA. The UK made Acoustical (QUAD) manual of the 22 preamplfier was also clear - all recordings issued after 1954 should be considered as having a single common equalization. The issue was also addressed by M Fremer in extension https://www.analogplanet.com/content/phono-equalization-bs-continues

Anyway, our cartridges will probably have deviations higher than the difference between RIAA/DECCA equalization.
a1.jpg

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Interesting. I see that the chart you showed lists 2 different "Decca" settings, one for UK LPs and the other for US. I'll have to keep that in mind as I do a deeper dive. Thanks Francisco.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I considered the AMR before due to the flexibility and remote, but based on some user feedback-without listening to it myself, picked up the Allnic. If I wanted SS I would go for an used FM 122 their EQ is good and effective. Touraj of Vertere demonstrated it to me at his place

Hmm-- with John Curl now consulting with AMR there could be a cracker stage in the works soon--worth a listen then maybe?
Yes the FMs are wondrous super clean and detailed -but nothing that I've heard stumps the Mares Connoisser Phono--I even prefer it to the EMT.

Interesting on the Allnics--I've heard them excellent units--robust fullness and body , but tad syrupy for my taste -didn't dig the Shindos
either much after awhile the slightly slow "thick" presentation became obvious.

Enjoy your journey;)

BruceD

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing