Tube Pre with Rowland Amp

shakey

Mar 13, 2018
Has anyone tried a tube preamp with their Rowland amp? I recently took delivery of a Continuum S2 and I am so impressed with the sound and build quality that I started wondering if I could use my Emotive Audio Epifania preamp with a 625 S2. I realize that one issue is that I would have to use Cardas RCA to XLR converter because the preamp is only single ended.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Prior to selling my JR 625 S2, I tried an Audio Research Ref 6 with it. The sound was thin, 2-dimensional, and bright in my system. I think my results had nothing to do with the sound quality of the Ref 6. I submit it was a direct result of lack of synergy between the two components.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Has anyone tried a tube preamp with their Rowland amp? I recently took delivery of a Continuum S2 and I am so impressed with the sound and build quality that I started wondering if I could use my Emotive Audio Epifania preamp with a 625 S2. I realize that one issue is that I would have to use Cardas RCA to XLR converter because the preamp is only single ended.
Rowland preamps are pretty good also. Then you can maintain true balanced mode. Just thinking ouy loud.

Reactions: paolo

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Sorry to be late.
I haven't tried tube preamplifier with Jeff Rowland 625 ( First version ).
I have tried Jeff Rowland Corus with Audio Research Ref 75 and the combination of the two is poor.
I have a great synergy with Jeff Rowland Corus and Jeff Rowland 625. My loudspeakers are Magnepan 3.7i.
In this configuration, Jeff Rowland 625 is better than Audio Research Ref 75, there is no doubt.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing