Tube Preamp with tube phono section - tube Q's

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
own a tube preamp that I bought used in late 1990's.

Have replaced four E88cc (6922) tubes about every 8-years, never replaced the four PC900's in the med/low phono section (that I can recall).

The replacement tubes have been two in the main line section, and two in the phono hi-gain section.

I have never experienced noise/grain only excessive heat, loss of both channels or weak channels in either R&L that migrate randomly between R&L prior to replacement.

These failings happen in both CD and LP playback, not just one or the other. In other words, in the line stage.

I have always used the medium phono gain at 47k for MM cartridge. Never used a MC and do not plan to.

Question: from the diagram in lower left, the two tubes labeled "phono hi-gain", do you think these are in any way active when using a MM?

Reasoning: if these tubes have never been used then I perhaps can rotate them into the line-stage section, right?

The price of these small preamp tubes is kind of crazy, and I do not have a tube tester. Just looking to be frugal but safe.

20200618_163032.jpg 20200621_172653.jpg 20200621_172733.jpg 20200618_163037.jpg 20200618_163045.jpg 20200621_172944.jpg 20200621_175859.jpg 20200619_094548.jpg

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
You're worried about trying old, possibly non-engaged 6922 tubes as replacements? They aren't going to explode if they are bad...they will just be noisy or one may test stronger than the other you end up with a channel imbalance. I'm not sure what your price threshold is when you say "the price of these preamp tubes is kind of crazy" but they are only $29 each. Sovtek 6922

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
You're worried about trying old, possibly non-engaged 6922 tubes as replacements? They aren't going to explode if they are bad...they will just be noisy or one may test stronger than the other you end up with a channel imbalance. I'm not sure what your price threshold is when you say "the price of these preamp tubes is kind of crazy" but they are only $29 each. Sovtek 6922
Where can I get Sovtek 6922's for $29? The ones in your link are NOT in stock. They want $60 as many other vendors do for Hungarian and Russian NOS. Add more money for matched pairs and quads.

The question is simple, when using MM, are the two 6922's in the "phono hi-gain area" engaged and being worked?

I was thinking (please correct me) hi-gain would be employed when using a MC cartridge via the higher gain settings available with internal switches.

If true, then these two tubes in question have zero hours on them and need not be replaced. They can in fact be used where needed, in the line stage - in theory.

Asking, not stating as fact.

Last edited:

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Where can I get Sovtek 6922's for $29? The ones in your link are NOT in stock. They want $60 as many other vendors do for Hungarian and Russian NOS. Add more money for matched pairs and quads.

The question is simple, when using MM, are the two 6922's in the "phono hi-gain area" engaged and being worked?

I was thinking (please correct me) hi-gain would be employed when using a MC cartridge via the higher gain settings available with internal switches.

If true, then these two tubes in question have zero hours on them and need not be replaced. They can in fact be used where needed, in the line stage - in theory.

Asking, not stating as fact.
Let me see if I can find another source for the Sovtek 6922's.

I'm not 100% certain but the two 6922's labeled "phono high gain" are likely the for the MC gain stage only and aren't used while low or medium MM-only stage is active.

I would give the pair a try and see how they sound.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Let me see if I can find another source for the Sovtek 6922's.

I'm not 100% certain but the two 6922's labeled "phono high gain" are likely the for the MC gain stage only and aren't used while low or medium MM-only stage is active.

I would give the pair a try and see how they sound.
Sourcing affordable 6922's is not the problem. I resolved that days ago, see link below.

https://www.vivatubes.com/search.php?search_query=6922

The problem is my limited understanding of my tube phonostage(s).

The fact that 6 out of 8 tubes are related to phono signal amplification is actually something that never hit me before a few days ago. I always regarded the star grounded PC900's as my phono tubes.

What the heck is hi-gain phono?

The possiblity that the MC section lays dormant under my ownership and that even when I replaced and saved those tube before that they still might be good excites me - I love saving/recycling and reusing things and hate waste.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing