Tube to compete Brimar 5R4GY in the whole 5V family

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
I like warm sound of Brimar 5R4GY 2 x O getter very much.

But I can use any of the 5 volt rectifier tube, and there are so many types: 5U4, 5AR4, 5R4, 80, 83, 5y3, GZ32-34-37 and some others.

I appreciate your advise.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I like warm sound of Brimar 5R4GY 2 x O getter very much.

But I can use any of the 5 volt rectifier tube, and there are so many types: 5U4, 5AR4, 5R4, 80, 83, 5y3, GZ32-34-37 and some others.

I appreciate your advise.
I guess you want to place the recti in your Lampi DAC?
What model of Lampi DAC you have?
In our big 3 Lampi and 1000 tubes compare, we all liked the RK KR 5u4g the best.
This is with one caveat, though. We didn't have a Takatsuki 274b recti to compare and that is a very highly rated rectifier tube.

Reactions: Golum

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
Thank you Cristoph. I read Lampi threads and saw reports on RK tubes.
My dac is the Lite 7+ model.

I just want to dig deeper into the NOS tube world.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thank you Cristoph. I read Lampi threads and saw reports on RK tubes.
My dac is the Lite 7+ model.

I just want to dig deeper into the NOS tube world.
Maybe the potatoe masher?

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
I had a potatoe masher on a test long time ago, don't remember why, but didn't choose it. At the moment traces generally go to Mullard.
GZ series or CV378 ?
These old, old tubes are so attractive to me, like good old bottle of red wine. They have their long story behind, a secret mystery. I can feel that story, feel those years. They create some magic cloud around the music. Yes, they just do have a soul and It's just what I like.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Trab I can say that I understand you and your quest. There is some magic with those NOS tubes. Honestly I use the new production tubes but have a few of those NOS ones. Both version of potato masher (A and B) and I love them, Mullard GZ34 (First Watt) from '60s which I would say is nothing special, they say metal base is great recti but outrageously priced so I'll skip it, Brimar which you are mentioning is great and I love it. Also good one is 5R4-GY from WW2 era. I tried Mullard GZ37 (nothing special). Choice is really huge but beside the recti tube you need to hit the sweet spot with DHT counterpart to release the magic out of Lampi.

Cheers;
G

Last edited:

Trab

Apr 3, 2017
Cracow / Poland
Thank you Golum for sharing your broad experience. That is nice.

And yeah ... I have a balanced version so, quad hurts : )

That news about GZ37 isn't good. Today I will get an offer for Mullard CV378 black base from early 50's. That's the GZ37 variation.
Life is not so easy !
By the way, I wish I had your dac for a while to compare ... or take mine to you.
... In this moment a thought crossed my mind, connected with my skiing plans for this season : )

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Can't say my experience is huge but I tried few at my place as well as at fellow Lampi owners places (Christoph, Wisnon) and I can say that their experience is broader than mine for sure. I know Wisnon loves some Mazda double mica recti but can't remember which one.
Huh balanced - had GG1 balanced which I was chasing as my system is fully balanced. After a while it became clear that i don't need volume control and quad of tubes just kills the entire fun of tube rolling so i swapped it for GG2 SE and without volume control. Pure bliss :).

Comparison wise I'm always open for those things so send me PM and lets see if we can come up with something.

Cheers;
G

P.S. That Mullard might prove to work great in your combo

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing