Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Wow! Where did you get them? Cost?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Your response is perhaps a bit terse; not exactly narrowing it down for the rest us, those who might be wanting to try them in our own amps...

would you be so kind as to elaborate where it was you were able to buy these tubes? did you learn from allnic these were a drop in replacement in your amp? If not, what convinced you?

i see this similar to all the churn when the KT150 first showed up, many folks wanting to give them a try where Kt120s were used but unsure if the mfg of a particular brand had “blessed” them for use.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Your response is perhaps a bit terse; not exactly narrowing it down for the rest us, those who might be wanting to try them in our own amps...

If you care to look in the Allnic section under T2000 anniversary you will see these were confirmed ok by the designer to be used! I did not elaborate to you where I got them simply because Iam Uk and you being Canada, that is all. I have been told by my supplier that they are a drop in replacement from the kt150.

would you be so kind as to elaborate where it was you were able to buy these tubes? did you learn from allnic these were a drop in replacement in your amp? If not, what convinced you?

i see this similar to all the churn when the KT150 first showed up, many folks wanting to give them a try where Kt120s were used but unsure if the mfg of a particular brand had “blessed” them for use.

Attachments

• 28708C8F-B15F-4F9D-AC3A-360447D5AFD6.png
    28708C8F-B15F-4F9D-AC3A-360447D5AFD6.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
Reactions: Bobvin

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

MikeHorns

Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles
Very curious how these might sound in my ARC REF160M amps.
If you do buy them, let us know.

I didn't like the sound of the KT-150 vs the Gold Lion KT-88. More power? yes. Better sound? may be an amp to amp match and personal preferences.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
It doesn't take too long before you realise these play at a higher level, the lower noise floor, LOWER COLOURATION, and additional headroom is very apparent, much more grace-full, taking everything in their stride, able to reach much deeper into the soundscape rendering instruments/ nuances not heard before! so easily heard on piano and wind instruments, Faster with increased focus and believability. On certain crescendos you are able to define the kettle drums with such vividness like never before, tonal density and textures/timbre very much improved. To compare against the KT 150 is pointless, I have just finished a session listening to Tulls Aqualung and had to grab my wooly jumper half way through! Only 26 hrs in, Iam sure the highs have become more nuanced/articulate.
Of course this is in my particular system but totally wrapped and easily the most apparent of tube rolling I have ever done be it pre or power. I think the Tung sol boys will be rolling up their sleeves and working overtime with these ones!

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I’d need 18 of them for my monoblocks!
as my 150 valves have only 260 hours in them it gives me time to save up.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Here we go

Attachments

• EC598BE7-2527-4B85-B9EF-E5624AF47801.jpeg
    EC598BE7-2527-4B85-B9EF-E5624AF47801.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 31

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
Got the spec sheet? Need to look at the heater current etc.

At least they dont have the, shall we say 'unfortunate' looks of the KT150.

Edit: found it - https://shop.ehx.com/catalog/addimages/kt170-tung-sol-specs-curves.pdf

Getting quite far from KT88 though ... this looks like a stretch too far for many amps.

My Leben CS1000p was designed around KT120 but not sure I'm in a rush to try these. (Actually I'm running KT90s, much sweeter and less ' thick' sounding in the Leben than KT120s or KT150s - KT90s sounds like a grown-up EL34.)

Last edited:

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Got the spec sheet? Need to look at the heater current etc.

Edit: found it - https://shop.ehx.com/catalog/addimages/kt170-tung-sol-specs-curves.pdf

Getting quite far from KT88 though ... this looks like a stretch too far for many amps.

My Leben CS1000p was designed around KT120 but not sure I'm in a rush to try these. (Actually I'm running KT90s, much sweeter and less ' thick' sounding in the Leben than KT120s or KT150s - KT90s sounds like a grown-up EL34.)
Yeh, you're amp really needs to be designed around the KT 150.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I kinda dug the look of the footballs. My wife says the 170's look like Weebles.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
You planning on inserting one somewhere haha!

Not 1 but 4 have been inserted and ever so satisfying! yeh baby.

Just over 50 hrs now and the additional gravitas / slam / heft is more noticeable. Some youse the term liquid. liquid, you need your fishing waders on for these ones, I didn't just get new tubes I got a new amp as well, they are that good/ Different.

Will be interesting in other members findings soon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing