Turn Your Head, Not your Tablet! Wifi Polarization

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Turn Your Head, Not your Tablet! Wifi Polarization

I bet I got your attention with that headline! This is going to be a brief but hopefully useful article on little known aspect of wireless WiFi networks that impacts reception quality on tablets. First, a bit of introduction.

The Basics
WiFi is a radio communication system. There is a transmitter and a receiver. Like any radio, antennas are used to radiate the electromagnetic (radio) signal. The antenna on the access point (wireless router) is sometimes visible, but in many models it is built internally to the case. On the clients, whether it is a laptop, tablet, phone, is completely hidden from view.

Polarization
The radio signal is like a sine wave travelling through space. The sine wave can travel one of two different ways: horizontal or vertical. Think of it as a thin sheet of paper with the sine wave drawn on it, held either horizontally or vertically.

For WiFi access points, the standard is vertical meaning the sine waves go up and down. It is critical that the same polarization be used in the receiver. In the case of WiFi, it was designed for use with laptops. Laptops always have their screen vertically so that is where the antenna is usually placed. Its vertical placement means that it aligns nicely with the vertical polarization used in the access point and life is good.

Houston, We Have a Problem!
Life was good until tablets came around with those cute commercials showing how you rotate them as you wish to better match the screen to your application. Well, no one bothered to talk to the RF (radio) engineers about the above antenna alignment. Unlike a laptop, when you rotate the tablet, you rotate the whole device. An antenna which was vertically polarized in the portrait orientation, becomes horizontally polarized when you rotate the device 90 degrees. This spells disaster from signal strength point of view as now the energy that is captured is the intersection of those two sheets of paper or just a sliver! The loss can be as much as 20 dB! Here is a picture showing the problem:

Theory and Practice
We have a rather long house with the access point at one end, and our living room at the other end. On my iPad 2 the problem is quite apparent. Held vertically, I get 2 bars on the WiFi meter. Rotate the tablet 90 degrees to portrait and the signal goes to one bar and often to zero, completely losing reception! This may explain why some people complain about WiFi reception and others do not.

Access Points
Given the above, it is critical that you orient your access points as designed. If the device is supposed to be vertical, be sure to use it vertically. Do not place the box horizontally or vice versa. You will lose significant range otherwise (although it would align with any horizontally held clients).

A Solution
There is one exception to the above problems which is a product from a company called Ruckus. They make a special access point with an array of antennas that it dynamically selects based on the clients it is trying to talk to. Because of the orientation of its antennas, it is able to accommodate with devices in both horizontal and vertical polarization, solving this problem. The round looking box in the above picture is that device actually. The little green PC Boards are the antennas. It is an expensive solution to be sure. But it is a nice solution to getting far better reception in larger homes and of course accommodating these new computing devices.

Short of that solution, if you are in borderline reception areas be sure to keep your iPad or tablet in vertical position.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
That was also a problem with the early circa 2000 Titanium case Mac PowerBook G4. According to the Apple rep I spoke to almost ten years ago, the antenna was in the screen portion which is generally vertical in use, and if the original airport wasn't reasonably close, it didn't always respond well because it was usually mounted horizontally. The titanium case made transmission matters worse as it acted as a shield.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's interesting Amir!

I have found that the WIFI reception in my iPad 2 is much worse than in my MacBook Pro.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Thanks Amir! My router has two antennas. I just made one vertical and one horizontal. Can't say it made a difference to my wifi reception, though this test was completely unscientific.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Thanks Amir! My router has two antennas. I just made one vertical and one horizontal. Can't say it made a difference to my wifi reception, though this test was completely unscientific.

Invite a bunch of friends over. More than 30 would be best for statistics. Run your experiment and you will have as scientific test!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's interesting Amir!

I have found that the WIFI reception in my iPad 2 is much worse than in my MacBook Pro.
Same is true for me. This is why it makes so much difference in how you hold it. It starts off with much more marginal performance and then if you get the polarization wrong, it loses the signal altogether. At the same position far away from my access point, my laptop shows perfect or near perfect reception whereas the iPad showed 2 out of three bars in optimized portrait position.

I think having all the CPU and electronics so close to the antenna in a tablet, combined with metal case on one end makes it harder to get good reception.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's a creative solution! The problem with it is that the two antennas are used to double your bandwidth and to help with something called beam forming (which in theory) can better optimize the antennas to get maximum reception. So for laptops and such, turning one antenna sideways may make them perform less.

Back to how to test this better, walk away from the access point and even go outside if you have to, to get marginal reception while holding the device vertically. Then rotate it 90 degrees and see it drops down. Do this before and after your "tweak" and see if it made a difference.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Set both antennas parallel to each other and tilt them to 45 degree. That will give you 70.7% efficiency for both directions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing