Turntable Arm Lift - Yamamoto

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
Despairing of the many positive reviews of the Dynavector xx2 and Simplex t/t I decided to afford mine some tlc with a view to improving its fairly horrible sound, especially compared to my digital front end.

Careful listening and process of elimination suggested the right channel of the cartridge was a bit knackered. Looking at the stylus I could see it was a bit skewed and tried to pretend to myself that I hadn’t caused it when I had that wrist twitch a year or two ago and dropped it from a height onto a record. It was also bright and lacking bass. I bought it used and wonder if it was more used than I’d been told. (No more buying used cartridges). So I exchanged it for a new xx2 and just fitted it. What a difference…

Anyway, the point of this post is to recommend to anyone who wants to avoid a (£1k) bill as a result of having a nervous hands disposition and no arm lift on their t/t that it really is worth investing in an aftermarket device. I decided I had to get something to prevent a repeat performance and to remove the stress I felt every time I had to drop or lift the arm.

There are a few devices on the market but the one that worked for me was a Yamomoto. I’ve just fitted it using very strong double-sided tape - didn’t fancy tapping screws into the t/t. Took about 15 minutes of tip-toeing around to work out where it needed to sit to be able to work at beginning and end of a record and then just fit the tape, press down and go. It’s changed my vinyl life. Putting on a record is now a thing of joy rather than a worry. Flip the lever and it drops super slow and gentle into the groove. At the end of the record, lift the lever and the arm rises safely and can be moved back to the rest with no fear of it dropping if my finger slips. Also it means I can drop the stylus with precision onto any track and with no fear of bouncing it. Happy day.

Attachments

• IMG_4781.JPG
    IMG_4781.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4785.JPG
    IMG_4785.JPG
    385 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4783.JPG
    IMG_4783.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 16

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
A Titliest ProV1x upgrade would make the sound more natural.

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Hello @eagle3333 ,

I’m not sure I understand how device works. From your pictures, it seems as if it’s a (very nice) cueing mechanism. Can you give further explanation on how it works at the end of a record? Does it provide an auto lift function ( like this device: https://www.littlefwend.com/about) or is it mainly just a Manual cueing lever?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I bought a couple of the last Jelco lifters a month ago...

eagle3333

Sep 22, 2018
Hello @eagle3333 ,

I’m not sure I understand how device works. From your pictures, it seems as if it’s a (very nice) cueing mechanism. Can you give further explanation on how it works at the end of a record? Does it provide an auto lift function ( like this device: https://www.littlefwend.com/about) or is it mainly just a Manual cueing lever?
Yes it’s a manual cueing lever; no auto functionality. But replaces my twitchy hands with 100% safe functionality at start and finish of record and anything in between; which is all I need :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing