Turntable best for the money

shovelrider78

Jun 19, 2021
I'm new to this forum, but would like some advice for a new turntable. I still have a mint Micro-Seki Solid 5 I purchased while in Germany in the AF in 75. I have a couple bucks saved up & have been looking at used VPI turntables in the $2000 range. Then I came across new AMARI & FFYX at the Destiny Audio website. For $2k you can get a nice Amari or FFYX turntable, but it's from China. The VPI I've been looking is a Aries 2 in excellent condition for $2k. Since you guys are high end folks I'd like your opinions. Thanks,

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Many people love the VPI but if it were me, in the $2k and under range I would take a hard look at the TT81 for sale on usa audio mart at the moment. These tables have a reputation as giant killers and also a well deserved reputation for being hard to repair. I know I have been there. But the seller is making big claims re service and it includes a decent arm and custom plinth for well under the budget. So...if your risk aversion level is low enough and if the seller earns your confidence ( I have no interest in or special knowledge of this particular deck but I have owned a tt81 before ) this deck will make ( imho ) the VPI seem like a toy.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Just get a metal platter mat and maybe consider another arm. VPI's would be a DOWNGRADE from your Micro Seiki. A big downgrade.
I'm with Folsom. You may downgrade at 2k budget. Get a better cartridge and do what you can to upgrade your table with better mat and maybe wiring and/isolation.

If you just want new, the Rega's are hard to beat for 2k.

Reactions: jeff1225

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021
Get a better cartridge,it’s the most critical to sound quality.

Getting a better cartridge is always a great idea, but respectfully, I cannot agree with the above statement.

The turntable and arm are far more important than the cartridge, IMHO.

This hierarchy was highlighted recently during a series of turntable and arm upgrades on our own deck.

Prior to any upgrades, we gave our reference SHELTER cartridge a rest, and installed a far cheaper DENON MC with a similar type of stylus tip.

Initially, the DENON was a BIG downgrade. I almost felt like trashing it, it was so bad, by comparison.

Nevertheless, I pressed-on and persevered with the DENON and allowed it to run-in over a period of weeks, playing many hours each day. Once we had the DENON run-in and dialled-in correctly - alignment, VTA, VTF, gain, load - it was still a big disappointment.

All turntable upgrades were then made step by step, with days of critical listening following each change. Upgrades included bearing upgrade, sub-chassis upgrade and finally, a tonearm upgrade.

Here's the kicker: The cheap DENON remains on the upgraded deck, and (now) completely out-classes the sound we previously got from the same (non-upgraded) deck, using the far superior SHELTER cartridge. The sound we get now - with the DENON - is in a whole different class. Not just different. Not just a little bit better. LP playback has been utterly transformed!

Unbelievably, the humble DENON took the lead after just the first upgrade and simply continued to leap further forward with each subsequent upgrade. Amazing!

In fact, the DENON now sounds so damned good, I am feeling no real longing to return to the SHELTER. Obviously, the time will come, when I re-mount the SHELTER and hear what it can do on the upgraded deck. (I will report…)

Moral of the story: IMHO, provided the cartridge is not junk, all components around the cartridge are more important to good sound, than the cartridge itself. I would include the phono preamp - offering the correct gain and loading settings - in this statement.

Just think on it for a moment. The turntable must rotate at exactly the right speed - constantly, ensuring zero lateral platter tilt and zero unwanted vibration - all the while bonding perfectly to the moving tonearm without distortion or vibration, in order to hold the cartridge in exactly the right place, on exactly the right angle, at all times. Quite an ask!

It is my view that the better the cartridge, the more tolerant it is of turntable and tonearm shortcomings. That said, get the turntable and tonearm performing idyllically and even modest cartridges will perform magnificently - easily outperforming the exotica - as we have seen with the low-cost DENON.

Just my 10-cents worth, following months of careful upgrades and hours of listening.

On this basis, my advice to the OP is to retain the current cartridge as a reference point and focus energies and investment on turntable and tonearm upgrades; the turntable and its suitable support, being the absolute priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: audio.bill and Tlay

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing