Turntable Differences...

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
As some of you may know, a couple years back I used to own a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB DC turntable. I now own a Music Hall mmf 2.3SE.

From what I can tell, they are identical except for the tonearms. The Pro-Ject uses a full carbon tonearm and comes with an acrylic platter. The Music Hall comes with a different style carbon tonearm with an aluminum headshell and a plain steel platter.

Both use the same plinth, same 15v DC motor, same built-in speed box, yet the Pro-Ject is priced at $599 and the Music Hall sells for $750.

You would think the Pro-Ject would cost more since it comes with the acrylic platter and all carbon tonearm. The platter alone costs $125 if you purchase it (which I did for the Music Hall).

Now I'm not complaining at all, nor am I have buyer's remorse. In fact, I purposely chose to go with the Music Hall because for whatever reason, I think the tonearm on it is better than that on the Pro-Ject, mainly because of the style/design of the bearing on it and how the tonearm actually feels when I lift and and move it about. I could be totally wrong on that however.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here had more info on the differences between these two tables, and as to why the Music Hall is $150 more. I've searched and searched and couldn't really find anything. In fact, can't really find anything on the mmf 2.3SE period.

whatskendoing

Jul 29, 2020
So are you still happy w/your turntable? I saw it on sale and was thinking about getting one but there are no reviews anywhere on this thing.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
So are you still happy w/your turntable? I saw it on sale and was thinking about getting one but there are no reviews anywhere on this thing.

Both of those TT's are identical, so if you can't find reviews on one of them, research the other. They were both great tables, but shortly after I upgraded to the acrylic platter, I came across a mint, barely used Music Hall mmf 7.3, so I snagged that up and sold the 2.3SE right after.

Quite an old picture BTW as the entire system has changed drastically.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Charlie, you rotate equipment in and out faster than a speeding bullet !

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Who's Charlie?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing