Turntable slower than a CD?

Craigh1983

Dec 28, 2022
Hi guys,

I have just purchased an Audio Technica AT-LP120xusb and I'm absolutely in love with it. Upgrade from a budget player which was more of a gimmick.

However I noticed when playing a 33 record for example it is always ever so slightly slower than a CD version or the same song from YouTube.

If I start them at literally the same time the words and beat start off identical but the CD version or song from YouTube always pulls ahead and by the end of the song the CD finishes about 3 seconds before the Vinyl version. Is this normal?

I have checked the speed with an app and it's reading 33.3 to 33.4RPM and it also has a Quartz feature on it which is switch on to help it maintain this.

Also looking at the little dots on the side of the bit that spins all the dots stay steady and they don't move forward or backwards so this is another sign the record is spinning at the correct speed. I mean the dots do sway back and forth the most tinest bit but never carry on moving in any direction. So doesn't seem like it needs any adjustment.

So does anyone else find this? Or am I being OCD!?
:)

Thanks

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
The app relies on accelerometers in the phone and it is not precise. There is this thing called “cartridge drag” which causes slowing down but since the dots are steady it’s either the quartz control or the vinyl.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing