Turntable-Under 15K new or under 10K used

krelldog

Apr 4, 2018
This is probably my next price range...in the event I upgrade my VPI Prime Signature.

Just curious....whats the next level???

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

I love VPI...but open to other brands.

Thanks in advance.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Bergmann Magne. $13,900 with tonearm.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is probably my next price range...in the event I upgrade my VPI Prime Signature.

Just curious....whats the next level???

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

I love VPI...but open to other brands.

Thanks in advance.

Used Schopper TD 124 with FR 64s arm, used STST Motus II with FR 64s or Schroeder CB arm (suspended DD), or a Goldmund ST4 that comes with its own arm, like the one that Marty has. For multiple arms, the STST.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Used Brinkmann Balance, there is on on Ebay for $10000 right now.
I bought my Maplenoll from this guy, he does a great packing job on heavy TT’s.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Used Brinkmann Balance, there is on on Ebay for $10000 right now.
I bought my Maplenoll from this guy, he does a great packing job on heavy TT’s.

The BB is usually available one-arm at 10k EU with the Brinkmann arm. If it is available at 10k USD, then it is a better one than the ones I recommended in my earlier post, though I will prefer to wait for the two-arm one at this price (two-arm ones are currently costlier, 10 to 12k Euro without the arms). There is a guy who keeps listing one from 2004 that is not selling.

Also with BB the age is important, those made till early 2000s were not as good, then they tried to replace it with the Brinkmann Lagrange, then again restarted the Balance, circa 2009 or so I think, and those are the ones to go for. Also get the tubed power supply with it

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The BB is usually available one-arm at 10k EU with the Brinkmann arm. If it is available at 10k USD, then it is a better one than the ones I recommended in my earlier post, though I will prefer to wait for the two-arm one at this price (two-arm ones are currently costlier, 10 to 12k Euro without the arms). There is a guy who keeps listing one from 2004 that is not selling.

Also with BB the age is important, those made till early 2000s were not as good, then they tried to replace it with the Brinkmann Lagrange, then again restarted the Balance, circa 2009 or so I think, and those are the ones to go for. Also get the tubed power supply with it
This is with the tubed power supply, but he mentions 10 inch arms, i guess
you need a different arm base for 12 inch.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
+1 for the VPI direct drive HW-40. It comes with the 12” Gimbal 3D printed Fatboy Tonearm.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Regarding the STST Motus II, as Ked mentioned:
1) the Motus II with suspension (the better Motus) only comes as a one-arm deck due to suspension design. Its a fantastic bargain for a new table. (I'm biased since i sell them). The solid plinth Motus is the one that can be optioned with a two arm plinth...

2) +1 on the FR64S. The Groovemaster II, however, is also excellent and of similar price for a new arm- for those that don't prefer to hunt a vintage arm...

3) for North America I source my own power supply for the Motus decks. In listening test lets just say it's desirable as compared to the factory unit...

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe consider Primary Control Kinea, €13k.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing