Tweeter/Mid min amp power rating for 20.1 in active setup?

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Hi all,

I have a pair of mint 20.1s in light oak, and I'm currently running them active, using a DBX analogue balanced crossover.

I am currently using a class A plinius power amp for the tweeter/mid drivers and a pair of 600w Emotiva monoblocks for the bass drivers.

I'd like to replace the plinius with a pair of valve monoblocks, but I'm unsure what the minimum power rating should be? Ideally, I want to use 845 or 300B tubes, but it is tough finding anything above 40w.

Any thoughts?

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hi all,

I have a pair of mint 20.1s in light oak, and I'm currently running them active, using a DBX analogue balanced crossover.

I am currently using a class A plinius power amp for the tweeter/mid drivers and a pair of 600w Emotiva monoblocks for the bass drivers.

I'd like to replace the plinius with a pair of valve monoblocks, but I'm unsure what the minimum power rating should be? Ideally, I want to use 845 or 300B tubes, but it is tough finding anything above 40w.

Any thoughts?
What speakers are these?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
How much you need depends very much upon how loudly you listen and how far away you are. Check out something like the online _Peak SPL Calculator for an idea about how much power you might need.

My gut says 40 W is likely too little. I personally would give up the 845/300B plan in favor of a more conventional 6550/KT120-class amplifier with 100+ W. The mid/tweeter panels cover a very broad frequency range. I don't know the 20.1's bass crossover off-hand, but long ago the 20's crossover was very low, something like 150 or 200 Hz, so they covered a large frequency band and thus needed a fair amount of power. Not like a typical conventional design with a woofer crossover that might be a few hundred Hz or even higher, and with a much steeper roll-off.

While I loved my old ARC amp, these days I would be talking with Ralph at Atma-Sphere ( @Atmasphere ). Modern OTL designs with excellent specs for the class and reasonable (to very high) power levels. But there are a lot of good power amps these days.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing