ULTRA 55 - features

ibex_audio

Industry Expert
Hi Leif, could you post a photo of how the ULTRA 55 looks at its rear side? I am curious to see how it compares to the VR-55 Aktive in regards to adjustment features etc. - Many thanks ;)

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hi Leif, could you post a photo of how the ULTRA 55 looks at its rear side? I am curious to see how it compares to the VR-55 Aktive in regards to adjustment features etc. - Many thanks ;)
Hello my friend,

I don't have photo's of the back that I would post here lol. But it is the exact same control suite that the VR-55 has. But I am allowing the rear ribbon driver to cover a larger bandwidth than the VR-55:p I waiting to hear back from my dealer to see if he took any pictures of the back of the ULTRA 55 on the install I'm posting below.

I just liberated this from the Facebook page of our dealer in Georgia The Audio Company who just installed at a clients house the second pair of ULTRA 55's ever made.

The Audio Company added 4 new photos from January to the album: Client system: North Carolina — with Critical Mass Systems and 2 others.
50226157_1997016573681017_4811526294044934144_n.jpg
The room that this system is installed in, would be a challenge for most speaker systems, due to the speaker positioning in the very center of the room- far away from the corners and outside walls that usually are relied upon to supply support for sound projection from speaker systems. However, the new Von Schweikert Ultra 55 speakers- in fact, only the second pair produced, and the first pair installed in a client's home- not only were able to be properly tuned and balanced- but absolutely THRIVED in this environment. With the tune-ability of the active bass section, and the uniformity of response offered by the rear ambient driver, the result is speakers that not only give outstanding imaging and dynamics in the normal listening positions in front of the speakers- but also give amazingly good tonal balance and imaging DIRECTLY BEHIND the speakers. They even sound life-like, when listening from the next room over- it was described by the client as sounding like one was in the lobby of a concert hall, when in the next room- but like being IN THE HALL, itself, when anywhere in the room with the speakers!
50257049_1997016567014351_1865416914990268416_n.jpg
Now, this level of performance would not be possible, without the exemplary support of the other components in the system. The VAC Statement line-stage and amplifier are some of the only components capable of providing a signal pure and dynamic enough to properly drive these speakers to their maximum potential. The Masterbuilt Signature interconnects and speaker cables provide optimal signal transmission between the components, and the Critical Mass QXK rack system provides the proper stable foundation for the equipment, to allow the components to function at maximum performance. As we've said before- "everything matters"- and systems like this are examples of what levels of audio performance are possible, when everything is matched perfectly and installed with care...
50846608_1997016593681015_5200715172183801856_n.jpg
Equipment installed:
- VAC Statement Line Stage
- VAC Statement 450S iQ Power Amplifier
- Von Schweikert Ultra 55 Loudspeakers in Cardinal Red
- Critical Mass QXK rack system and amp stand, with Sapphire filters
- Masterbuilt Signature interconnects and bi-wire speaker cables

Reactions: Woofer and Tweet

ibex_audio

Industry Expert
Hello my friend,

This is one of the most beautiful and impressive rooms I have ever seen - love it!!!

Many thanks for your very detailed response - I really love my VR-55 Aktive but I bet the Ultra 55 plays in a complete other league.

Would you say that also the bass performance is different to the VR-55 Aktive?

Take care and keep on with your fantastic work

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hello my friend,

This is one of the most beautiful and impressive rooms I have ever seen - love it!!!

Many thanks for your very detailed response - I really love my VR-55 Aktive but I bet the Ultra 55 plays in a complete other league.

Would you say that also the bass performance is different to the VR-55 Aktive?

Take care and keep on with your fantastic work
Oh yeah lol. Maybe I can get The Audio Company to respond to this since they heard ut first hand. I wish I could have been there to experience this with the VAC Statement electronics. I will have to wait till the Tampa show. Thus guy probably has the most expensive in wall/floor wiring

Reactions: Ed.P

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
It

ibex_audio

Industry Expert
Many thanks my friend !!

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Leif, please help put on your agenda a detailed description of the Ultra 55s, plus the usual White Paper writeup for it explaining the art and science for the design. Without a deep and authoritative source of information from VSR itself, admirers and prospective buyers alike are left to engage randomly with Mr. Google in a haphazard fashion, picking up dribbled 2nd and 3rd-hand information on a piecemeal basis. The current vacuum in marketing output can be improved to start spinning the positive feedback loop for a win/win result for VSR and customers alike. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: GMKF

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Awaiting more information on the Ultra 55s...

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Awaiting more information on the Ultra 55s...
Sorry for the delay. We are prepping for AXPONA and Munich. Those two shows are just to close together.

We are working on it and should also be up on the website soon.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Will the Ultra 55 be at AXPONA?
At this time it looks like we will have the ULTRA 11's with all VAC electronics, Esoteric, Critical Mass Maxxum Racks, and the TechDas Air Force One in the Euphoria room. On the same floor a couple doors down in Nirvana A, we have a second 30' x 60' room where we will have two more systems. ULTRA 9's, VAC 450 IQ Integrated, Critical Mass Olympus Racks, Esoteric, and TechDas Air Force 3 Premium. The other system will feature our E-3MkII's, E-5MkII's, VAC 200 IQ mono's, Master Line Stage, VAC phono pre, Esoteric, Critical Mass Racks, and the TechDas Air Force 5. And all this with one day of set up time lol.

I don't if the ULTRA 55's will be there. They may be on static display.

Reactions: MJB

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
At this time it looks like we will have the ULTRA 11's with all VAC electronics, Esoteric, Critical Mass Maxxum Racks, and the TechDas Air Force One in the Euphoria room. On the same floor a couple doors down in Nirvana A, we have a second 30' x 60' room where we will have two more systems. ULTRA 9's, VAC 450 IQ Integrated, Critical Mass Olympus Racks, Esoteric, and TechDas Air Force 3 Premium. The other system will feature our E-3MkII's, E-5MkII's, VAC 200 IQ mono's, Master Line Stage, VAC phono pre, Esoteric, Critical Mass Racks, and the TechDas Air Force 5. And all this with one day of set up time lol.

I don't if the ULTRA 55's will be there. They may be on static display.

That is an impressive showing you have planned for Axpona. Look forward to visiting your rooms.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
That is an impressive showing you have planned for Axpona. Look forward to visiting your rooms.
Come say hello! We have an after hours listening session on Saturday night starting around 8:30 with Greg Weaver spinning records which is a blast. The more the merrier lol

All are welcome to come and hang out

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing