ULTRA 9's Set Up For Review(The Absolute Sound)

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I just got home from a wonderful trip setting up the ULTRA 9 speakers at a reviewers house. The review will be published by The Absolute Sound Magazine and reviewed by Greg Weaver. Also being reviewed is is the VAC 450I IQ. I had a great time!
FB_IMG_1546891223862.jpg
FB_IMG_1546891228904.jpg
FB_IMG_1546891237848.jpg

FB_IMG_1546891244734.jpg
FB_IMG_1546891248946.jpg
FB_IMG_1546891256354.jpg
FB_IMG_1546891268910.jpg
FB_IMG_1546891283131.jpg

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Reactions: mulveling

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That must’ve been a lot of work, Leif! It looks like you did a great job!

What are the white boxes on either side of the VAC amplifier?

What speakers did Greg have prior to your arrival?

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

Greg has VR-55 's and the amps are Constellation Inspiration stereo's that he runs in a vertical biamp configuration. Greg will be upgrading to ULTRA 55's

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Wow, sitting on the Constellation amp which is sited on a Grand Prix stand...is a great idea if you want to break the stand...they are not designed for that kind of weight!
We were very careful and didn't really put our weight on the amps

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nice space heater btwn the spkrs LOL.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Those look like Taurus Monos. I hope Greg tries the Ultras with them too. The Taurus' are great with the S5 Mk2 of a client's.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Greg has VR-55 's and the amps are Constellation Inspiration stereo's that he runs in a vertical biamp configuration. Greg will be upgrading to ULTRA 55's
What will the Ultra 55s look like (and sound like), compared to the VR-55 Aktives?

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Nice space heater btwn the spkrs LOL.
The thing actually isn't bad at all. I thought it would be way worse when I saw it for the first time at RMAF but it runs pretty cool compared to some of the SS amps I've had

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Those look like Taurus Monos. I hope Greg tries the Ultras with them too. The Taurus' are great with the S5 Mk2 of a client's.
Inspiration brother. Which are no slouches by any means lol. They punch way above their price IMO

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Inspiration brother. Which are no slouches by any means lol. They punch way above their price IMO
I think I'm going to sell my Centaur and Virgo 2 and get the Inspiration monos and pre for more budget oriented systems to show

AudioAnalyst

Industry Expert

Well, the "silver" boxes on the Grand Prix Audio amp stands, sitting on Critical Mass Systems CenterStage2 footers are Constellation Audio Inspiration 1.0 stereo amps that drive my Von Schweikert Audio VR-55 Aktives in a vertical biamp configuration...

AudioAnalyst

Industry Expert
Wow, sitting on the Constellation amp which is sited on a Grand Prix stand...is a great idea if you want to break the stand...they are not designed for that kind of weight!

Actually, according to Alvin Lloyd, designer of the GPA stands, the stand itself will support as much as 10 times more than the amps weigh. The issue is getting Sorbothane dampers that can provide the proper isolation, not the mass load on the aluminum and carbon fiber.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Actually, according to Alvin Lloyd, designer of the GPA stands, the stand itself will support as much as 10 times more than the amps weigh. The issue is getting Sorbothane dampers that can provide the proper isolation, not the mass load on the aluminum and carbon fiber.
Actually if you read the instructions that come with the stands, there is a very specific warning NOT to let the stand have any lateral movement at all under load. Therefore, if someone were to sit on the amp/stand and move slightly at all, good chance you severely damage the stand. As I stated, they are not designed for that kind of weight or action. How do I know...LOL. Friends with broken carbon fiber skeletons, but hey...go ahead use them as a seat.;)

AudioAnalyst

Industry Expert
So, here is what it is looking like today...and, it is sounding EVEN BETTER... I can't wait until the whole system has settled....

Attachments

• U9_S450iQ.jpg
    U9_S450iQ.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: mountainjoe

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing