ULTRA 9's Set Up For Review(The Absolute Sound)

AudioAnalyst

Industry Expert
Actually if you read the instructions that come with the stands, there is a very specific warning NOT to let the stand have any lateral movement at all under load. Therefore, if someone were to sit on the amp/stand and move slightly at all, good chance you severely damage the stand. As I stated, they are not designed for that kind of weight or action. How do I know...LOL. Friends with broken carbon fiber skeletons, but hey...go ahead use them as a seat.;)

Hello again... Once again, we are not talking about lateral movement, or any effective isolation modes... The designer of the stand stated that the aluminum/carbon fiber structure could easily withstand more than twice the mass that my carefully parked butt on the corner of the amp offered.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Like you, I own these stands.( you do own these right, they are not loaned to you?) If someone was to sit on them , I would not be pleased. Having witnessed the damage that can occur when someone does this...I am 100% against it. OTOH, if you are happy to take the risk, be my guest.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Like you, I own these stands.( you do own these right, they are not loaned to you?) If someone was to sit on them , I would not be pleased. Having witnessed the damage that can occur when someone does this...I am 100% against it. OTOH, if you are happy to take the risk, be my guest.
Like I said earlier most of the weight was in the knees. I was dam near hovering lol

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hi Lief,

Is Russ getting a similar setup to this?
It is ok for me to answer this. Russ is getting almost the same setup but due to the way the room will be setup we chose to go with separate components instead of the Integrated.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks Lief,

He told me but I cant recall all the details. Those seemed to be the speakers we spoke about and VAC was the amplification.

Reactions: Leif S

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Lief. Stunning set up! I was going to reach out to you and suggest Alfa Rosso as a color choice for your speakers but this is pretty close, what is the color? Alfa Rosso is a perfect fit for your speakers.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Thanks Lief,

He told me but I cant recall all the details. Those seemed to be the speakers we spoke about and VAC was the amplification.
You are correct! ULTRA 9's with all VAC electronics and MasterBuilt cables

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Lief. Stunning set up! I was going to reach out to you and suggest Alfa Rosso as a color choice for your speakers but this is pretty close, what is the color? Alfa Rosso is a perfect fit for your speakers.
I am always open to color suggestions my friend. Some of my favorite colors came to us from JackD.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Congrats Greg,
You know that I am so jealous for now, but as Leif said to me today, "Yes Greg has them now, but you get to keep yours." I am not getting the VAC 450IQ Integrated, but the Statemenbt 450IQ Stereo (the exact amp in the Integrated), the VAC Master Preamp, which Kevin says is within a hair of the Statement Line Stage, the VAC Renaissance Deluxe Phono Stage (Kevin says is the "road version" of their ultimate race car Statement Phono) in its own chassis with some Kevin tweaks to appease my inability to afford the Statement Line Stage and Phono. The hidden issues and expense is all MasterBuilt Ultra Biwire speaker wire, Ultra Balanced IC's, Ultra USB and Ultra PC's. One advantage of the Integrated is fewer IC's and PC's, a serious cost difference. I am trying to get the Ultra 9's in Audi Ibis White, but we are having some problems getting the depth of the clear coats right,. If that does not work, then I am open to suggestions.

While I am waiting for delivery in mid-February, I bought a pair of Endeavor/VSA E3 Mk2's, which are blowing me away when hooked up to my existing Reference Spectral gear, Lamm phono, and ARC Ref CD9/DAC with a combination of the MB Ultra Speaker wire and MIT SHD's for the time being. The are simply mind blowing for $8K, making me wonder why I am going the $400K Upgrade path to the above, and then the simple answer comes to me--What I have now with the E3's is amazing audio but the big rig reproduces REALITY better than any system I have ever heard and only somewhat matched by the Iverson Force Fields, although the 9's have much better and extended bass,.

Last edited:

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
What will the Ultra 55s look like (and sound like), compared to the VR-55 Aktives?

I briefly saw a B&W rendering of the Ultra 55s on the VSA website last year, but it was deleted very quickly. Are there still plans to introduce it? As a happy owner of the VR-55 Aktives (w/MasterBuilt Ultra internal cable upgrades), I’m deeply curious.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Well, the "silver" boxes on the Grand Prix Audio amp stands, sitting on Critical Mass Systems CenterStage2 footers are Constellation Audio Inspiration 1.0 stereo amps that drive my Von Schweikert Audio VR-55 Aktives in a vertical biamp configuration...

Thank you very much for your post, Greg, and welcome to WBF!

Steve and I and many of are members and guests are grateful for your participation here!

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Just like Mobiusman, I am also blown away at how good the Endeavor E3 Mk2 speakers are. I installed the Endeavors in my bedroom. I alternate the Spectral DMA 100S and the Hegel H20 as the amp;ifiers to drive the Endeavors. Speaker cables for both amps are either the Masterbuilt Signatures or the Gothams.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just like Mobiusman, I am also blown away at how good the Endeavor E3 Mk2 speakers are. I installed the Endeavors in my bedroom. I alternate the Spectral DMA 100S and the Hegel H20 as the amp;ifiers to drive the Endeavors. Speaker cables for both amps are either the Masterbuilt Signatures or the Gothams.

have you heard the E5's?

I heard both at Leif's hose and the E5 was stunning.The deep bass in that simple system blew mine away

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
No Steve. I have never heard the E5 yet. Perhaps I can hear it the next time I visit.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Congrats Greg,
You know that I am so jealous for now, but as Leif said to me today, "Yes Greg has them now, but you get to keep yours." I am not getting the VAC 450IQ Integrated, but the Statemenbt 450IQ Stereo (the exact amp in the Integrated), the VAC Master Preamp, which Kevin says is within a hair of the Statement Line Stage, the VAC Renaissance Deluxe Phono Stage (Kevin says is the "road version" of their ultimate race car Statement Phono) in its own chassis with some Kevin tweaks to appease my inability to afford the Statement Line Stage and Phono. The hidden issues and expense is all MasterBuilt Ultra Biwire speaker wire, Ultra Balanced IC's, Ultra USB and Ultra PC's. One advantage of the Integrated is fewer IC's and PC's, a serious cost difference. I am trying to get the Ultra 9's in Audi Ibis White, but we are having some problems getting the depth of the clear coats right,. If that does not work, then I am open to suggestions.

While I am waiting for delivery in mid-February, I bought a pair of Endeavor/VSA E3 Mk2's, which are blowing me away when hooked up to my existing Reference Spectral gear, Lamm phono, and ARC Ref CD9/DAC with a combination of the MB Ultra Speaker wire and MIT SHD's for the time being. The are simply mind blowing for $8K, making me wonder why I am going the $400K Upgrade path to the above, and then the simple answer comes to me--What I have now with the E3's is amazing audio but the big rig reproduces REALITY better than any system I have ever heard and only somewhat matched by the Iverson Force Fields, although the 9's have much better and extended bass,.
yes Russ, I can attest that the E3 setup is very, very good. Half your magic room and setup. I would not imagine such great sound when seeing the big flat screen tv sitting in the middle.
I can only imagine the step up with the better gear!

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I haven’t heard the E5s but the E3 is a winner. I like it more than many speakers that cost more, tens of thousands more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leif S and wisnon

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
have you heard the E5's?

I heard both at Leif's hose and the E5 was stunning.The deep bass in that simple system blew mine away
Bass was outstanding on both the David Bowie vinyl tracks and my own digital Mussorgsky Gnomus track. Swing Low, sweet chariot was also "delicious" with the Fairfield 4 featuring the "human subwoofer". All this with Russ E3 setup.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
What will the Ultra 55s look like (and sound like), compared to the VR-55 Aktives?

Alternatively, will there be an Ultra 7 to be launched next, and if so, what will be some of its design characteristics and specifications?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing