UltraAnalogue Recordings & star violinist Alena Baeva

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario

I'm very excited to let you know, star violinist Alena Baeva has joined our musical family!

www.alenabaeva.com

She was just in Toronto for 2 days to test.. (she could not belief the sound of analogue tape...) I recorded a few "Fast Food" tracks.... incredible refinement & wonderful musicality...

Some highlights of her next season concerts:
Oct 13, 15 - Concertgebouw, Amsterdam - Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra - Dvorak Violin Concerto
Dec 5 - Royal Festival Hall, London - London Symphony Orchestra - Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto

Every artist have their own sound... (even with the same violin...) I've sent a small reel of "Paganiniana" by Milstein to Steve & Larry... maybe they can post a few impressions...

Very excited to record her in the future....

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NorthStar

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks Ed

Looking at her photo she is young but I gather Tatsuki is even younger

I thought the way she played the violin was mesmerizing and totally different in technique than Tatsuki. I also understand she was playing the same violin in that piece that Tatsuki used yet to my ears sounded so different.

I enjoyed the short pirce Ed sent as it promised great things to come for Ed and Ultraanalogrecordings. My first thought when I heard the piece was this is a woman and it is a different violin than Tatsuki yet Ed told me the violins were the same. It amazed me how her playing sounded so different yet so beautiful

When is your first recording session with her. I’ve checked her dates and she travels a lot around the world. She will be a force to reckon with

Kudos Ed on yet another wonderful discovery to play that amazing violin.

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Good Morning Steve!

It's amazing to see how different 2 artists can sound... what struck me was her playing has incredible refinement, yet has the musical sense to create emotion... but very different from Tatsuki's more pushed emotion... I think he "drives" the violin harder... a young guy with his foot to the floor...

But I love them both!

No recording date yet... since she's very busy, but Amy & I will be going to Amsterdam & London to hear those 2 concerts... There is also very good one in Tokyo in Feb... we'll see.

Lot's of fun listening & recording in the future!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Good Morning Steve!

It's amazing to see how different 2 artists can sound... what struck me was her playing has incredible refinement, yet has the musical sense to create emotion... but very different from Tatsuki's more pushed emotion... I think he "drives" the violin harder... a young guy with his foot to the floor...

But I love them both!

No recording date yet... since she's very busy, but Amy & I will be going to Amsterdam & London to hear those 2 concerts... There is also very good one in Tokyo in Feb... we'll see.

Lot's of fun listening & recording in the future!

It is true how you describe their techniques. Ultraanalogue Recordings has a rosey future

Hopefully Tatsuki will return in the future as well for some limited recording sessions. Have the 2 of them ever played together? That would be most interesting

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Alena & Tatsuki have never met, BUT they will be playing together in the Mendelssohn Octet in Korea Aug 3...!
And Yes, Tatsuki will definitely be back for more recordings as he loves Toronto & our recordings.. and the big Lobster & king crab dinners after the concerts!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I also got a chance to hear Alena's tape. She is a magnificent violinist. Quite different in technique than Taksuki, but similarly spectacular. The piece was Paganiniana, adapted from Paganini's music by the great Nathan Milstein. Alena had won the second Moscow Paganini competition in 2004 and the famed Wienawski Competition in 2001 (that my favorite violinist Ginette Neveu won at age 16 in 1936 , beating the favored decade older David Oistrakh.) Alena was also 16 when she won it. Glad that Ed found her for his UltraAnalogue tapes.

I told him that I thought there was a change in the sound stage from Tatsuki's Paganini Caprices album. But Ed said both the recording venue (his home concert hall) and the instrument (the del Gesu) were the same. Shows how different great violinists get different sound out of the same instrument.

Looking forward to hearing a whole tape by her.

Larry

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Well Larry, the violin & recording space were the same, BUT the violin was quite different from the Paganini Caprices tapes - due to a new sound post placed, just after Oct 2017... This completely changed the resonant response of the violin....The only other recording where the violin is exactly the same as Alena's "Fast Food" recording, is the tape "Tatsuki Narita". But even here, Alena & Tatsuki sound quite different... they are very different "drivers" & the violin responds differently to their playing styles...

I like the analogy of a formula 1 race car.... these are the fastest race cars in the world, but no 2 drivers are the same... these fiddles are at the top of the instrument world & no 2 violinists play them the same....

Ed

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
Ed, I've been listening to the 'Alena Baeva' tape a few times and I'm stunned by both the recording quality and the performance! Miss Baeva has the technical skill of Tatsuki and the musical sensibility of the greatest violinists. It's really stunning to hear that kind of skill level.

I think your plan of recording world class talented musicians with the highest quality analog recording is paying off.

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
I just had Alena Baeva & Vadym Kholodenko at my place for a concert & recordings... absolutely amazing performance!
I recorded the concert live & will have likely 4-5 new tapes...

Both international world-class soloists...!
violin sound - so beautiful & refined...
incredible piano playing & sound like no other... so musical & alive...
More later....
Exciting!

Ed

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I'm very excited to let you know, star violinist Alena Baeva has joined our musical family!

www.alenabaeva.com

She was just in Toronto for 2 days to test.. (she could not belief the sound of analogue tape...) I recorded a few "Fast Food" tracks.... incredible refinement & wonderful musicality...

Some highlights of her next season concerts:
Oct 13, 15 - Concertgebouw, Amsterdam - Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra - Dvorak Violin Concerto
Dec 5 - Royal Festival Hall, London - London Symphony Orchestra - Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto

Every artist have their own sound... (even with the same violin...) I've sent a small reel of "Paganiniana" by Milstein to Steve & Larry... maybe they can post a few impressions...

Very excited to record her in the future....

Ed

When can I get the tape?

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Steve

These artists are all different...& each has their "sound" & musicality...
I agree with you, Tatsuki was special.... he had a way with all the "show" pieces which impress easily... however, as I listen to Alena, she is no less virtuosic, but her musicality really grows on you.... she does not play to "impress" but when you hear the sonata as a whole... it is amazing the journey she & Vadym weaves... you will see...

I've been quiet, but Narek is back on May 19 for a concert & recordings with NYC pianist Noreen Polera.
They will play the same program he will play in London's Wigmore Hall later in May...
More great tapes to come...

One cannot hurry these events.... I had almost 100 people at Alena's concert... Tony & I sat on the diving board!

Ed
When can I get the tape?
I'm waiting for an order of blank pancakes... their will be 5 new tapes... will write soon once i get them all organized...
Amazing musicality

Astronaut

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2019
Actually I did manage it. It was some sort of master-class event and I thought I won't get in. And it was a bit of trip, 150 km from me. may be next time.
Anyway it's nice to here that she's on tapes you recorded. Good job

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing