Upgrade Old 2 Channel Setup

Phylos

May 23, 2022
1st time poster.

I’ll try to be brief. Old fart dusting off some equipment and want to up my game for digital audio and integrate the same space for 5.1 surround.

Current setup (Vintage?, lol):

Integrated Amp: Sansui AU-X911DG - in for servicing and awaiting estimate.

Speakers: Linn Kaber (passive) tri-wired

Components: Harmon Kardon tuner, Sansui CD player (same vintage early 90s)

Audio:

I want to add streaming and lossless formats for selected music. My music collection is a limited number of CDs and about 140GB worth of MP3s. Looking at doing Roon with either Qobuz or Tidal, or suggested. Would appreciate any input on streamers, DACs, combos and connections for the amp. Trying to get up to speed, but could use any help on how these components get connected / controlled.

Also, I want to add a sub and wondering about pros/cons of active/passive again with the amp in mind, along with the best connection option.

AV: (If this doesn’t belong here, please ignore)

I’m thinking about integrating a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver but would like to use the Kabers as my L/R and add a center and satellites (preferably wireless). Any steer on how to do this, gear to look at etc. would be appreciated. Also control of volume thru the Sansui, along with the other 3 channels.

I’m pretty open on price ranges, just don’t want to go super high-end. The Sansui is a great amp but obviously pretty old. If the estimate for cleaning or fixing the attenuator and (possible recap) is too high, I’ll be looking at replacement options. Audio is my focus so don’t want to settle on mediocre sound with an AV receiver.

Any inputs appreciated!

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
Don Sachs' amp and preamp would be my Sansui replacement, I had the 1979 version myself years ago. If you want to stick with solid state, my knowledge is dated. As for a DAC, budget would be a Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 with all the best upgrades done to it. Not sure if it's available though. Solid state would probably be the old Yggdrasil OG, it can be bettered but it isn't going to be expensive. People are clambering about the Chinese DACs, Danifers(sp?), Holo Audio, etc. To better the Yggdrasil though you'll have to go to 5K for the Holo Audio May KTE from what I have gathered. I bought a Spring 3 KTE, and while nice, the Yggdrasil was a bit better for less money. Remember though, recommendations are dependent upon what the person making the recommendations predilections are. For me, I am big on the sound being as neutral as possible and having a sound stage. SS gear which I have heard lacks depth in sound stage. Hieght, & width can be had, but depth has been elusive in the few SS DACs that I have heard.

Phylos

May 23, 2022
Don Sachs' amp and preamp would be my Sansui replacement, I had the 1979 version myself years ago. If you want to stick with solid state, my knowledge is dated. As for a DAC, budget would be a Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 with all the best upgrades done to it. Not sure if it's available though. Solid state would probably be the old Yggdrasil OG, it can be bettered but it isn't going to be expensive. People are clambering about the Chinese DACs, Danifers(sp?), Holo Audio, etc. To better the Yggdrasil though you'll have to go to 5K for the Holo Audio May KTE from what I have gathered. I bought a Spring 3 KTE, and while nice, the Yggdrasil was a bit better for less money. Remember though, recommendations are dependent upon what the person making the recommendations predilections are. For me, I am big on the sound being as neutral as possible and having a sound stage. SS gear which I have heard lacks depth in sound stage. Hieght, & width can be had, but depth has been elusive in the few SS DACs that I have heard.
Thank you for your thoughts and recommendations.

Phylos

May 23, 2022
1st time poster.

I’ll try to be brief. Old fart dusting off some equipment and want to up my game for digital audio and integrate the same space for 5.1 surround.

Current setup (Vintage?, lol):

Integrated Amp: Sansui AU-X911DG - in for servicing and awaiting estimate.

Speakers: Linn Kaber (passive) tri-wired

Components: Harmon Kardon tuner, Sansui CD player (same vintage early 90s)

Audio:

I want to add streaming and lossless formats for selected music. My music collection is a limited number of CDs and about 140GB worth of MP3s. Looking at doing Roon with either Qobuz or Tidal, or suggested. Would appreciate any input on streamers, DACs, combos and connections for the amp. Trying to get up to speed, but could use any help on how these components get connected / controlled.

Also, I want to add a sub and wondering about pros/cons of active/passive again with the amp in mind, along with the best connection option.

AV: (If this doesn’t belong here, please ignore)

I’m thinking about integrating a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver but would like to use the Kabers as my L/R and add a center and satellites (preferably wireless). Any steer on how to do this, gear to look at etc. would be appreciated. Also control of volume thru the Sansui, along with the other 3 channels.

I’m pretty open on price ranges, just don’t want to go super high-end. The Sansui is a great amp but obviously pretty old. If the estimate for cleaning or fixing the attenuator and (possible recap) is too high, I’ll be looking at replacement options. Audio is my focus so don’t want to settle on mediocre sound with an AV receiver.

Any inputs appreciated!
Anyone else? I was told this is the place to come.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I was told this is the place to come.
It is but it depends on what you are looking for and I suspect that a boutique tube amp/preamp ain't it. A modern AVR or AVP would give you all the applications you seek and the latter would accommodate separate amps for tri-amping your Kabers, if you choose to keep them. So, tell us about your budget and which way you are leaning.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I know you mention your priorities are 'audio first' but this is imho a tricky area and cannot be an afterthought if the audio is not to suffer...

How might you access multi channel content?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing