Upgrading to Atmos

kenfren

Feb 11, 2021
Need a little advice here. I have 20 y.o. Rotel equipment doing double duty 2.0/5.0 (no sub). I'm happy w performance but time for the 21st century. Planning on keeping my 5.1 amp and upgrading to Rotel 1576mkii preamp w Atmos/Dirac. What to do about actually refitting? Front speakers are Meadowlark Heron and rear are Canton. How do I power or use Atmos or unforseen probs. These days I stream video or hireprops. audio 75% of the time. Thanks for the wisdom

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
hello Ken,

with that new Rotel 1576 MkII you won't need to change anything for Dolby Atmos specifically. your current speakers and amp will work. of course, finding better performing speakers, and matching all of them, will result in a higher ceiling of performance.

Dolby Atmos uses dsp for object based surround, as opposed to what you have used previously, which is discrete channel surround. i would recommend reading some on line details about that so you can understand just exactly where Dolby Atmos will be relevant. personally at 5.1 speakers not sure i would want to use more dsp (digital signal processing) for my listening. discrete channels without dsp has sonic advantages. likely comes down to the room and how much dsp is helping with it.

i use a 9.3.6 surround set-up with my Dolby Atmos. with that speaker count the dsp definitely is an advantage.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing