USB cable upgrade next?

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
Is an upgrade to my (original) Curious Cable a good next step?

Looking at David Laboga, FTA and Sablon based on reviews and customer feedback. .

Would my system benefit from an upgrade (IOW is Curios USB a weak link?) and which of the above (or others) would you suggest?

Here is my system:
Pathos InPol Heritage Integrated
Tannoy Kensington GRS
REL S/812
Innuos ZenithMK3
PhoenixNET/PhoenixUSB
CHORD M Scaler
CHORD DAVE/Sean Jacobs DC4 ARC6 LPSU
With exception of Curios USB, all cables Transparent Gen 5 Ultra and Reference.

Attachments

• 16CF18FA-885F-4836-8D0C-1C78B6A7FF09.jpeg
    16CF18FA-885F-4836-8D0C-1C78B6A7FF09.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
Greetings @cantorgale,

In my case getting the “right” USB cable was very important to enable everything downstream to reach maximum potential. That said, I can’t advise whether your USB cable is your weak link (or not). You will have to make that assessment and determination on site. As they say everything matters, coupled with YMMV.

My digital front-end is similar to yours, with the same three Innuos boxes. After trying two previous manufacturers for my Digital cabling, I settled on Shunyata Omega USB’s and Ethernet. They were a very good match for my system’s needs and my personal preferences. Game changing in several subtle but important ways. Another cable I have good results with are Triode Wire Labs, which serve my system well for supporting duties.

Hope that helps.

Re-tread

Last edited:

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Last edited:
Reactions: dgale and Re-tread

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
I went from the Curious to the Curious Evolved last year, and thought it was a more-than-subtle improvement. Took me a few A/B/A/B, but after having it for a while and going back to the original, clearly the latter was better.

A month ago I went from the Curious Evolved to the Shunyata Alpha USB. Another step up, but the tonality was also different. Probably system dependent. Was curious about the Callisto, which has been compared w/ the Alpha, but never heard it.

Reactions: dgale

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing