User manual for CAT

purevinyl

Jan 7, 2018
Ken has a new marketing manager...and as such, his pricing is about to double pretty much across the board!
:(

not sure about the price hike, best to contact them for the latest specs and pricing. Probably much cheaper to send them your older unit and upgrade to the latest and save $$

stopped by the CAT room at RMAF 2018 and they had the JL5 and JL7 amps and Renaissance and Legrend Preamps and the prices on the amps was something like $15 K (JL5) and $34K (JL7 mono) and he had the new BPX addition of both Preamps. i did not ask about prices on the Preamps?

anyway, the small JL5 stereo amp ran the Magico S5 MKll with ease and sounded great!

now25

Nov 28, 2018
not sure about the price hike, best to contact them for the latest specs and pricing. Probably much cheaper to send them your older unit and upgrade to the latest and save $$

stopped by the CAT room at RMAF 2018 and they had the JL5 and JL7 amps and Renaissance and Legrend Preamps and the prices on the amps was something like $15 K (JL5) and $34K (JL7 mono) and he had the new BPX addition of both Preamps. i did not ask about prices on the Preamps?

anyway, the small JL5 stereo amp ran the Magico S5 MKll with ease and sounded great!
For those interested the list price for CAT Renaissance BPX with phono is now $27k! I think they have even phased out the BPA model. Legend BPX is $42k. There is now a CAT JL-5 Black Path Limited Edition where the capacitors and the PCB are the same as the JL-7 which are Black Path and Teflon respectively.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The
For those interested the list price for CAT Renaissance BPX with phono is now $27k! I think they have even phased out the BPA model. Legend BPX is $42k. There is now a CAT JL-5 Black Path Limited Edition where the capacitors and the PCB are the same as the JL-7 which are Black Path and Teflon respectively.

Like i stated above, Ken now has a new marketing guru. As such, his pricing has gone up, I was told to appeal more to the Far East market!
Personally, I would have increased all of his gear to over a million dollars each, I mean if you are going to go crazy, you might as well do it right, no??:eek:

Reactions: christoph

4music

Apr 15, 2013
Any idea where to locate list prices for latest CAT gear?

now25

Nov 28, 2018
Any idea where to locate list prices for latest CAT gear?
Sorry I'm not located in the US so I wouldn't know. Perhaps you can try Galen Carol Audio as I can see CAT products listed but not the latest models.

naim

Mar 6, 2019
Italy
I seem to have mislaid mine, and I think its time to check the bias settings

Hi Torres,
Bias of the JL2 must be 37.0

After having heated it for at least an hour, You must disconnect rca input, then adjust bias turning the selector on the right side and on the left side acting on two bias potentiometers (only on these two BIAS positions, the others only serve to display the individual tubes, but you can not adjust each individual tube).

Balance must be 000 (right and left with the balance potentiometers) This is very sensitive and should be moved with a light hand.

Keep in mind that JL2 bias is not very stable, and it moves following the increase and the lowering of the tension.
I hope I have translated quite decently.

Roberto

JStevens

Jan 1, 2020
I am shocked CAT doesn't have a website....
It does now! This is Jake Stevens, Ken's (owner of CAT) son. Well, I decided that my dad's business shouldn't live in the dark ages anymore and I developed him a website. Please check it out: catamps.com. There's product information, reviews, and contact forms for repairs and upgrades. All feedback is appreciated.

-Jake S

Mquadd

Jun 5, 2020
I recently purchased a used CAT JL-1. I have been unsuccessful in finding an owner's manual or instructions for being able to bias new tubes for the JL-1. I'm hoping one of you might be able to help. Thanks!

MQuadd

now25

Nov 28, 2018
I recently purchased a used CAT JL-1. I have been unsuccessful in finding an owner's manual or instructions for being able to bias new tubes for the JL-1. I'm hoping one of you might be able to help. Thanks!

MQuadd
Probably best to email CAT directly at catamps@aol.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing