Using an external SUT with a phono amp with internal SUT

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Question: Should you ever use an external Step Up Transformer (SUT) (lets say it's matched with your cart) on a phono amp that uses internal SUTs to boost gain? (I.e. not a MM input). My understanding is that many phono amps use SUTs on their MC inputs but these are not necessarily matched to your cart so you double up on SUTs using a matching one first before your phono amps' one or is that sacrilegious? Assume that the overall gain is not excessive.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Question: Should you ever use an external SUT (lets say it's matched with your cart) on a phono amp that uses internal SUTs to boost gain? (I.e. not a MM input). My understanding is that many phono amps use SUTs on their MC inputs but these are not necessarily matched to your cart so you double up on SUTs using a matching one first before your phono amps' one or is that sacrilegious? Assume that the overall gain is not excessive.

Sorry, what is a SUT? I tried to Google it but was not successful.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Question: Should you ever use an external Step Up Transformer (SUT) (lets say it's matched with your cart) on a phono amp that uses internal SUTs to boost gain? (I.e. not a MM input). My understanding is that many phono amps use SUTs on their MC inputs but these are not necessarily matched to your cart so you double up on SUTs using a matching one first before your phono amps' one or is that sacrilegious? Assume that the overall gain is not excessive.

i'm an SUT rookie that got my hand held firmly to find my 'happy place' with a pair of SUT's. so not an expert.

but my sense is that getting the magical synergy from the right SUT is a balancing act and more than just doing the math. so stacking SUT's as you suggest would defeat the minimalist aspect that makes SUT's greater than the sum of their parts. it would get in the way of that ease and musical connection and nuance that they can bring.

you do need a proper 40db, 47k ohm MM input to have a chance at the right balance. but you might investigate your EMT phono and see if there is a circuit adjustment that might allow for one of the inputs to be set at 40db of gain. it's such a swiss army knife of a phono stage you would think it could be made to accommodate an SUT. it might need to be sent back to the factory but my guess is it could be done. in essence it would be wiring around the internal SUT for that input.

Reactions: Walnut Horns

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

Tom

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The short answer is no.

You should match the one SUT to your phono stage taking into consideration the gain you need and the specific electrical specification of your cartridge.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
i'm an SUT rookie that got my hand held firmly to find my 'happy place' with a pair of SUT's. so not an expert.

but my sense is that getting the magical synergy from the right SUT is a balancing act and more than just doing the math. so stacking SUT's as you suggest would defeat the minimalist aspect that makes SUT's greater than the sum of their parts. it would get in the way of that ease and musical connection and nuance that they can bring.

you do need a proper 40db, 47k ohm MM input to have a chance at the right balance. but you might investigate your EMT phono and see if there is a circuit adjustment that might allow for one of the inputs to be set at 40db of gain. it's such a swiss army knife of a phono stage you would think it could be made to accommodate an SUT. it might need to be sent back to the factory but my guess is it could be done. in essence it would be wiring around the internal SUT for that input.
Thanks Mike. Alas I don't have the EMT anymore but a Zanden Jinpu. It has settings for different gains but I need to see if any of them can accept a MM input through a SUT.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Never do such thing. The goal is to bypass the internal SUT by a much better one. My Allnic H3000V phono stage is fitted within an internal SUT and I have a bespoke SUT built by Consolidated Audio to match the specs of my cartridge.

AF0AE598-8BAF-4E94-B942-4DD596158369.jpeg

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Never do such thing. The goal is to bypass the internal SUT by a much better one. My Allnic H3000V phono stage is fitted within a internal SUT and I have a bespoke SUT built by Consolidated Audio to match the specs of my cartridge.

View attachment 66851
That's what I thought. So I need to see which setting allows me to bypass the internal SUT I guess....

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

I never owned the EMT phono but I sent Tang a cartridge with built-in transformer and he couldn’t use it in his phono. Zanden’s other top phono stages oddly lack a MM input, might be the case with Jinpu too.

david

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I never owned the EMT phono but I sent Tang a cartridge with built-in transformer and he couldn’t use it in his phono. Zanden’s other top phono stages oddly lack a MM input, might be the case with Jinpu too.

david
I used a couple of SUTs on my EMT mm inputs but I think you’re right about the Zanden. It seems to only have 4 MC inputs (2 balanced and 2 rca), although you can select low or high output MC on each input.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I used a couple of SUTs on my EMT mm inputs but I think you’re right about the Zanden. It seems to only have 4 MC inputs (2 balanced and 2 rca), although you can select low or high output MC on each input.
It doesn’t matter which input level you can’t use SUTs back to back. I wonder why Tang’s having an issue with his EMT and MM input.
david

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

it won't hurt to ask Zanden if one input can be made for 40db, 47k ohms MM. the fact that you can choose between low and high gain likely indicates that there is a 40db gain then + 15db or + 25db or something like that. if so it might be doable and something they have done before. the literature on the unit might get into that aspect of the design.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
it won't hurt to ask Zanden if one input can be made for 40db, 47k ohms MM. the fact that you can choose between low and high gain likely indicates that there is a 40db gain then + 15db or + 25db or something like that. if so it might be doable and something they have done before. the literature on the unit might get into that aspect of the design.
As far as I can tell the gain is 65 or 71db but this would be rather close! As you said 40db and 65 would make more sense.I am trying to verify with Zanden.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Never do such thing. The goal is to bypass the internal SUT by a much better one. My Allnic H3000V phono stage is fitted within a internal SUT and I have a bespoke SUT built by Consolidated Audio to match the specs of my cartridge.

View attachment 66851
The older version of Emia SUT looks similar.

20200627_154601~2.jpg
20200627_154528~3.jpg

Reactions: howiebrou

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
No, don't do this; it doesn't work like that. Just use your MM input if you'd like an external SUT.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing