Vacuum State RTP3D preamp

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Has anyone here owned or heard the RTP3D? Their website is here.

It is a preamp designed by the late Allen Wright. I heard it many years ago at a small hifi show with some high efficiency speakers. The sound in that room was extremely good. The micro-dynamics and low level resolution in particular was exceptional. The person running the room switched it out for some other preamp and things degraded quite a bit. I can't remember what the other pre was, besides being silver... :eek:

It uses a solid state device for the MC "headamp"/first gain stage in the phono section, and was very quiet with a low output cartridge.

It's one of those hifi moments I still think about, but sadly I rarely see the pre brought up on hifi forums. Though I'm guilty of not bringing it up since it seems difficult to audition.

I corresponded with Allen and his wife through email, and they were both very nice people. I'm sure the questions I was asking Allen were mind numbingly trivial to someone of his knowledge, but he always answered them politely and in great detail. Allen wrote a book called "The Preamp Cookbook" which went into the history of his preamp adventures, circuit choices, etc, well worth reading if you're interesting circuit design.

Reactions: Fred Crane

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I am sorry to hear that Allen Wright passed away last year, did not pick up on that for some reason even though it was a year and a half ago, belated regards.

He was a regular contributor on the Apogee speakers web site, and worked with members on tube amps that would drive Apogee Scintilla ribbons. I think Vince (murlaman, also passed away) knew him pretty well.

Amazing how many deaths you pick up on when perusing the boards, really makes you realize what a short ride it is.

The pre used to have a pretty resolute fan club, but the shake up with Allen's death could have caused things to taper off.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I am sorry to hear that Allen Wright passed away last year, did not hear that.

He was a regular contributor on the Apogee speakers web site, and worked with members on tube amps that would drive Apogee Scintilla ribbons. I think Vince (murlaman, also passed away) knew him pretty well.

Amazing how many deaths you pick up on when perusing the boards, really makes you realize what a short ride it is.

The pre used to have a pretty resolute fan club, but the shake up with Allen's death could have caused things to taper off.

Allen was also a WBF member :(

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It's quite sad. Allen Wright was one of the good guys. When the Esoterics first came out and were getting good, I let him have my DV-50 to "play with". He sent it back to me after a year, and it sounded NOTHING like what it sounded like before I sent it to him. It no longer played movies, but the sound quality improvement was astounding to me - an analog guy. I still have it although it doesn't work because the transport failed.....

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
No, but I have several of Alan's books. His writing convinced me he knew what he was talking about when it came to preamp topology. Always wanted to build one of his designs, but time marches on...

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
I am wondering how the rtp3d compares to a model from audio research (really like the arc ref 5se). I already read that it outperformed the ref3.

Reactions: Fred Crane

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I'd always heard that the rtp3d was a head to head competitor to the John Curl's legendary Vendetta, but I was mostly looking at it as a phono stage. I think when you get into this level it's "horses for courses". Sorry I can't be more help.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I'm getting RTP3D built for me. Will post my impressions as soon, as I get a handle on it
My previous preamp was VAC Signature 2a, and my current one is Tron Syren Ultimate ($41,000 retail)

Reactions: thomask

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
I'd always heard that the rtp3d was a head to head competitor to the John Curl's legendary Vendetta, but I was mostly looking at it as a phono stage. I think when you get into this level it's "horses for courses". Sorry I can't be more help.

Thanks for your reply :)

I'm getting RTP3D built for me. Will post my impressions as soon, as I get a handle on it
My previous preamp was VAC Signature 2a, and my current one is Tron Syren Ultimate ($41,000 retail)

Cool! Did you auditioned it? What is the built time?

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Unfortunately, there was no way for me to audition it, but I will be able to have a trial period with the purchase.
I spoke with the guy, who reviewed it for 6 Moons, and he still of a high opinion of it.
Build time is not something set in stone, but that's OK with me. Reportedly, it is very complicated construction and is labor intensive.
I will post my impressions here.

Reactions: christoph

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Unfortunately, there was no way for me to audition it, but I will be able to have a trial period with the purchase.
I spoke with the guy, who reviewed it for 6 Moons, and he still of a high opinion of it.
Build time is not something set in stone, but that's OK with me. Reportedly, it is very complicated construction and is labor intensive.

Maril,
Is the guy that's building your preamp "Banpuku" that's linked in the 6 Moons review? If so do you have current contact information?

Thanks,
AC

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015

Thanks for the explanantion. I also read the review of Patrick Kennedy on 6Moons. According to him, the RTP3D totally defeated the Arc REF 3. I really wonder how it compares to the REF5SE. Yes, it is rather complex piece of equipment but really nicely put together. Pride of ownership :cool:

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
No, it's not Pat Kennedy.
Person building it is a highly qualified technician /engineer and is intimately familiar with Vacuum State RTP3D, so I have my full confidence in the process
We also upgrading critical caps to V-cap CuFT's

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I reviewed the preamp for Positive Feedback many years ago and at that time I felt it was the best I have heard. Overall it was superior to a Kondo KSL M7, which was significantly more expensive especially with the top line step up transformer for analog. It should hold it's own against the cost-no-object designs out there but a Kondo M77 might be tough to beat but I haven't heard one in the privacy of my own system.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I reviewed the preamp for Positive Feedback many years ago and at that time I felt it was the best I have heard. Overall it was superior to a Kondo KSL M7, which was significantly more expensive especially with the top line step up transformer for analog. It should hold it's own against the cost-no-object designs out there but a Kondo M77 might be tough to beat but I haven't heard one in the privacy of my own system.

Morricab,
I did read your review, as well, as the Pat Kennedy's for 6 Moons.
There is one more published review by Jack Roberts for Dagogo.
What impressed me the most in all 3 reviews, is the consistency of the impressions, reviewers
had of the RTP3D ( unless all three of you conspired to do so)- mostly about "relaxing' and musical charachter of the preamp.
That is probably the main reason I have decided to take a risk of purchasing one without audition.
I'm really looking forward to having it in my system.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Brad,
It's been a while, since you've reviewed it, and obviously, there are numerous new designs on the market now, such as Robert Koda, NAT Audio, Soulution, and many others.
Can you think of any other preamp, that could be a worthy competition for RTP3D from the newer offerings?
You have obviously heard other SOTA preamps since then. Does your opinion of RTP3D still hold today?

Last edited:

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
No, it's not Pat Kennedy.
Person building it is a highly qualified technician /engineer and is intimately familiar with Vacuum State RTP3D, so I have my full confidence in the process
We also upgrading critical caps to V-cap CuFT's

Could you tell me some more about these upgrades, please?

Wow, never could have hoped that one of the reviewers would contribute to this thread. Really appreciate your comments here and I truly hope you can answer some of Maril555's questions.

In the meantime I spoke to someone who told me he had build the RTP3D already twice and also worked on a pass xp-30 clone. I hope to share some of his insights later on. Since there is, besides the three reviews, not much of information out there; please keep posting :)

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Could you tell me some more about these upgrades, please

Wow, never could have hoped that one of the reviewers would contribute to this thread. Really appreciate your comments here and I truly hope you can answer some of Maril555's questions.

In the meantime I spoke to someone who told me he had build the RTP3D already twice and also worked on a pass xp-30 clone. I hope to share some of his insights later on. Since there is, besides the three reviews, not much of information out there; please keep posting :)
OEM caps are Mundorf ZN (there are 4 in each line and phono stage coupling caps)
Popular opinion has it, that V-cap CuTF cups are much better

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing