VDH XGW Stradivarius

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I was lucky enough to pick up a VDH XGW Stradivarius (thank you MikeL) and added it to the system last week. It is absolutely fantastic, and gives me the clearest window into the music I've ever had in my system. The detail and nuance of the instruments has really taken my system to the next level.

5B46D77F-FDE3-4F05-BD2D-FF23FDB8E85F.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I heard this new cartridge in Jeffrey’s system, and I concur with his report!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I am just running-in my retipped (deep breath)
Colibri koa xgw Stradivarius (high mass arm variant).
It's fairly stunning, and I'm about 50 hours in.

The retipping was for the esoteric reason of addressing sibilance, and the mundane reason that i had wonked the cantilever with my t shirt sleeve 1581371504072977135235.jpg

Attachments

• 1581371843721481592108.jpg
    1581371843721481592108.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jeffrey, I think you need to keep christening the new cart. I suggest our deeply missed Neil Peart, maybe the live YYZ off Exit...Stage Left.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I spent the weekend listening to the VDH cartridge and I can say it's an all around winner. I was worried that it would just be used for jazz and classical but I have to say that it really handles the voice well. Even Getty Lee's.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I'm currently playing 'when it falls' by Zero 7, and it's audible honey

Reactions: jeff1225

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I spent the weekend listening to the VDH cartridge and I can say it's an all around winner. I was worried that it would just be used for jazz and classical but I have to say that it really handles the voice well. Even Getty Lee's.
I came from the other approach - my Colibri was supposed to contrast another, more dynamic, more bass capable cartridge with it's delicate musicality.
This it has most definitely provided, but it also concedes nothing in the face of the macro dynamic requirements of my regular bass driven diet of trip hop, deep house, drum and bass.
The bass is articulate, textured, and weighty, while retaining plenty of space for such a lucid, open midrange, and for this reporter, a previously unexperienced amount of air in the treble

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I was lucky enough to pick up a VDH XGW Stradivarius (thank you MikeL) and added it to the system last week. It is absolutely fantastic, and gives me the clearest window into the music I've ever had in my system. The detail and nuance of the instruments has really taken my system to the next level

Jeff,

not sure how i missed this earlier, as i was obviously watching for it.;)

Congrats, and glad you are satisfied, and not surprised. this was not a cartridge i wanted to sell. it needed some time spent with it. i think it's a sleeper and fits more systems than the Master Signature (with it's more normal output level and slightly more mild demeanor). it still has that vdH magic.

nice pic, btw.

cheers,

Mike

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Jeff,

not sure how i missed this earlier, as i was obviously watching for it.;)

Congrats, and glad you are satisfied, and not surprised. this was not a cartridge i wanted to sell. it needed some time spent with it. i think it's a sleeper and fits more systems than the Master Signature (with it's more normal output level and slightly more mild demeanor). it still has that vdH magic.

nice pic, btw.

cheers,

Mike
Mike can i ask you to briefly describe the differences when you move to Master Signature?
It's my next move.

AJ VdH was very responsive to my request to adjust my koa Strad as he retipped it.
He's effectivey addressed my previous sibilance issue, and it's left me feeling confident that if i commission a new Master Sig properly tailored for my use, i could get something truly fantastic.
I'm minded to go for the AGW body, as i think i prefer the character. It is less neutral than the koa, but I've learned to enjoy the greater exuberance in the mid bass that comes with the African Grenaille Wood body.
But to get to MS, i would need to trade both my current Colibri.
So I'd be all in on the MS

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Jeffrey can i ask, how do you have the vta?
Is the cartridge up at the rear, parallel or down at the rear?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: infinitely baffled

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fremer in his vdh Stradivarius review gave some details on how he reduced sibilance

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Jeffrey can i ask, how do you have the vta?
Is the cartridge up at the rear, parallel or down at the rear?

I'm using the supplied bubble level to have it flat on the headshell. I've experimented with it being a little up from that but I like the sound flat best. What about you?

The SME 3012R seems to work really well with the VDH, I bet the Ikeda sounds great as well. I had an Ikeda 345 that I really liked. The build quality on Ikeda is fantastic.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Fremer in his vdh Stradivarius review gave some details on how he reduced sibilance
On advice from Shakti I've added a Derenville damper pad between cartridge and headshell, and changed the Ikeda headshell for a Yamamoto African Black Wood head shell

Attachments

• 158151153638056115848.jpg
    158151153638056115848.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: bonzo75

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I'm using the supplied bubble level to have it flat on the headshell. I've experimented with it being a little up from that but I like the sound flat best. What about you?

The SME 3012R seems to work really well with the VDH, I bet the Ikeda sounds great as well. I had an Ikeda 345 that I really liked. The build quality on Ikeda is fantastic.
Currently I'm slightly down at the rear, but I'm still experimenting and haven't settled yet.

Yes the Ikeda is a beautifully made bit of kit. As seen above, I've added a wooden headshell, part of the sibilance- taming remedy.
I'm very intruiged by the SME 3012R, because of the love it receives on this forum:)

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I have also decided to keep my VdH MS Colibri strad but get an sme 3012r for it. I deliberately bought a Kuzma Stabi M so as not to get too many cartridges and arms but I have now found another way to keep them and get even more! I opened up a speaker company and decided to make a demo room. I have a few cartridges already and two on the way so I will be getting another table and put 3 arms on it. It can have different flavors so people may have a clearer window to speakers overall sound. At home, I will keep current favorite for that time :)

I could not feel content with the performance I got from this cartridge on my standart 4 point arm. I also tried a 9" version but still it was not as good as I expect it to be. So, I could not make it sing with that setup but I hope to make it sing with properly matched arm and pre.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Currently I'm slightly down at the rear, but I'm still experimenting and haven't settled yet.

Yes the Ikeda is a beautifully made bit of kit. As seen above, I've added a wooden headshell, part of the sibilance- taming remedy.
I'm very intruiged by the SME 3012R, because of the love it receives on this forum:)
The 3012R was far superior to the Ikeda, but that was the 10" version. The VDH carts seem to really like the 3012R.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I have also decided to keep my VdH MS Colibri strad but get an sme 3012r for it. I deliberately bought a Kuzma Stabi M so as not to get too many cartridges and arms but I have now found another way to keep them and get even more! I opened up a speaker company and decided to make a demo room. I have a few cartridges already and two on the way so I will be getting another table and put 3 arms on it. It can have different flavors so people may have a clearer window to speakers overall sound. At home, I will keep current favorite for that time :)

I could not feel content with the performance I got from this cartridge on my standart 4 point arm. I also tried a 9" version but still it was not as good as I expect it to be. So, I could not make it sing with that setup but I hope to make it sing with properly matched arm and pre.
Fun!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing