Vertere SG1 vs Roksan Artemiz Arm

Ptplayers

Feb 14, 2011
I am currently using a Roksan Xerxes 20 plus with a Tabriz ZI and Dynavector XV-1s cartridge .

Thinking about upgrading arms and seriously looking at the Vertere SG1 standard arm .

Has anyone compared these 2 arms?

Thank you

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I
I am currently using a Roksan Xerxes 20 plus with a Tabriz ZI and Dynavector XV-1s cartridge .

Thinking about upgrading arms and seriously looking at the Vertere SG1 standard arm .

Has anyone compared these 2 arms?

Thank you

I'm pretty certain Gary Koh has

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Either arm will be a significant upgrade to the Tabriz ZI. If you like the qualities of the Tabriz (dynamics, rhythm, musicality), you will love the Artemiz or the SG-1.

IMHO they sound very, very close. There are trade-offs with both. The Artemiz is much more rigid than the unipivot style of the SG-1. This makes the SG-1 a little fiddly to set up the azimuth correctly. With the Tabriz ZI, you will be already used to the intelligent counterweight of the Artemiz. The SG-1 counterweight is more like the Naim ARO. On the Artemiz (as with the Tabriz ZI) you can adjust the center of gravity of the counterweight to change the balance of the arm.

I think that the Artemiz is a little "bigger" with the SG-1 a little "cleaner". I put both in quotes because you're splitting hairs here.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Forgive me for being off of your precise question, but, out of curiosity, did you consider the Basis Superarm 9?

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Either arm will be a significant upgrade to the Tabriz ZI. If you like the qualities of the Tabriz (dynamics, rhythm, musicality), you will love the Artemiz or the SG-1.

IMHO they sound very, very close. There are trade-offs with both. The Artemiz is much more rigid than the unipivot style of the SG-1. This makes the SG-1 a little fiddly to set up the azimuth correctly. With the Tabriz ZI, you will be already used to the intelligent counterweight of the Artemiz. The SG-1 counterweight is more like the Naim ARO. On the Artemiz (as with the Tabriz ZI) you can adjust the center of gravity of the counterweight to change the balance of the arm.

I think that the Artemiz is a little "bigger" with the SG-1 a little "cleaner". I put both in quotes because you're splitting hairs here.

That is truly interesting given the massive price difference that can perhaps be spent on a better cartridge, arm cable or phono stage - if not all three. I know the Xerxes is a good deck but do you intend to mount the SG1 on the Xerxes? I know that some, such as Mike Lavigne, hold the view that once one gets to a certain level in turntable the arm makes the biggest difference.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Forgive me for being off of your precise question, but, out of curiosity, did you consider the Basis Superarm 9?

..$14K...wow!

Ptplayers

Feb 14, 2011
Thank you Gary , i know with the SG1 being new there is not a whole lot of write ups on it but being designed by Touraj im sure its a great arm .

It is a drop in for the xerxes with same dimensions as the roksan arms which is handy .

Robert

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
+1

Both are great arms. The Artemiz has stood the test of time - having been in continuous production for almost 25 years, but with its ups and downs. My favorite version is the one with the rough, vibration absorbing coating that damages easily (and hence went out of production). I don't know which version that is but iirc it's about 8 years old. The latest version with the smooth, hard-wearing paint isn't as "clean" sounding. The SG-1 is better in that regard.

Foot Tapper

Member Sponsor
Sep 26, 2015
Hello Robert,
If you are still looking to decide between the two, then I recommend a swift audition of the Artemiz.
Roksan only has a few (<20) arm tubes left and is expected to phase it out, replacing it with the new, cheaper PUG, itself derived from the Wand.

I have just made the switch from a top spec Xerxes 20+ with Artemiz to a Vertere MG-1 with SG-1 tonearm. There are a couple of pictures on the turntable thread.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Hi Pt
The Artemiz is a safe bet.
Maybe you can even find one ex demo now?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What did you end up getting Rob?

Ptplayers

Feb 14, 2011
Hello Robert,
If you are still looking to decide between the two, then I recommend a swift audition of the Artemiz.
Roksan only has a few (<20) arm tubes left and is expected to phase it out, replacing it with the new, cheaper PUG, itself derived from the Wand.

I have just made the switch from a top spec Xerxes 20+ with Artemiz to a Vertere MG-1 with SG-1 tonearm. There are a couple of pictures on the turntable thread.

Hi , i had seen when you posted on Naim forums , its a nice looking table that you purchased .

A friend of mine has the Artimiz on his Xerxes and it is a nice arm but i have such a heavy cartridge that i need heavy a counter weight which is another 600.00 canadian to buy and with the vertere the counter weight would be fine for the XV1s .

What did you end up getting Rob?

Hi John , no still have not purchased a new arm as of yet , getting close though . :)

Ptplayers

Feb 14, 2011
After a recent upgrade to new turntable , i will not be needing a new tonearm for the Xerxes .

For not much more than the Vertere arm would have cost me , i got a smoking deal on a Fully decked out LP12 .

Naim Aro arm , Urika phono stage , Radikal power supply , keel sub chassis and dynavector XX2 cart which is still mounted .

Turntable:Linn LP12
Tonearm: Naim Aro
Cartridge: Dynavector DV1S
Phono stage: Linn Urika
Pre-amplifier: Naim NAC252 + supercap power supply
Power amplifier: Naim 250.2
Loudspeakers: Kudos Super 10

Last edited:

Foot Tapper

Member Sponsor
Sep 26, 2015
Lovely, well done. Enjoy!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations on the new acquisition. I have owned a Naim Aro, that currently stays in NY. It was an excellent sounding tonearm, sounding great and a perfect match for the Sondek. The only concern about the Aro is the fixed geometry of the headshell - for certain cartridges you will need to use a different armboard.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Great choice! BTW, I found out that the Radikal really sounds even better if you can mount it on an isolation base...I use the Townsend Seismic Sink. Also, the Tramp 2 base for the table is well worth looking into.

Ptplayers

Feb 14, 2011
Great choice! BTW, I found out that the Radikal really sounds even better if you can mount it on an isolation base...I use the Townsend Seismic Sink. Also, the Tramp 2 base for the table is well worth looking into.

Hi , i have it on a naim frame

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing