Vibration control priority - power supply or pre/phono

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Rearranging my equipment and rack. If the the choice is only to put either big heavy powersupplies or lighter preamp/phono on a specialized rack (Critical Mass in this case), what should get the priority? I know I can try it myself, but I'm just too lazy to rearrange everything again just to try, hoping for a short-cut way to know :) Thanks.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Power supply is always better.
I have preamp CH L1 and X1 power supply and i remember when Ked come to visit me,he brought his big feet Moon S. to try under my pre.
Under L1 near no difference,under X1 we listen big difference in better

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
We've gotten this question a bit over the last 31 years of production of our two piece preamp. Its very clear that if only one anti-vibration platform is available, it should go under the preamp section as opposed to the power supply chassis. One thing to keep in mind is anti vibration platforms have an upper weight limit as to how effective they can be; depending somewhat on the means that it employs to do its damping. So if your power supply is particularly heavy the platform may be less effective damping it as opposed to the lighter preamp section.

In our case we found this to be audible and easily measured. Using a sine generator, find the resonant point in your room (if it has one; many rooms do) and run that sine wave through the system and do the measurements with a mic at the listening chair. Compare that with and without the platform and you will see the results easily enough. We found less energy in the room at its resonant point and less distortion also ((our preamp is tube-based; less microphonic feedback). In listening we found the bass to be more solid and overall a more transparent presentation.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I would think that the answer could depend on whether the preamp is tube-based or solid state.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing