Videos of Acoustically-Coupled Audio Recordings

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Please, consider MV88+: they added headphone monitoring and improved audio. They even used the dreaded ‘natural’ word:) To quote: “By and large, we’d describe the new mic’s sound as a bit more open and natural.”
https://www.shure.com/en-US/perform...v88-versus-mv88-video-kit-pro-audio-on-the-go

Thank you. I ordered this.

I want to record video portrait style. It turns out that in a tripod mount of seemingly any kind it is difficult to operate the iPhone as a video camera while the MV88 is attached.

I canceled the second MV88, and I canceled the Zoom iQ7.

Reactions: Rexp

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron would not especially since he replays these videos through his main system.

I think it makes great sense to replay these videos through the main system. That will reveal differences which are obscured on an iPhone or a laptop.

I did a big stereo comparison of two iPhone recordings only once. In that comparison I heard from the big stereo exactly what Kedar was talking about -- and I agreed with him -- which was for me obscured through iPhone replay only.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Here's a Cyrus Chestnut/Anita Baker track about 8 mins in: Edit you will have to search HEADquarter Audio, under their Munich coverage part 7

And how is the video any better than the track directly played from Qobuz ?

Even if you did prefer it, how would you even know that the source has anything to do with it ?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think it makes great sense to replay these videos through the main system. That will reveal differences which are obscured on an iPhone or a laptop.

I did a big stereo comparison of two iPhone recordings only once. In that comparison I heard from the big stereo exactly what Kedar was talking about -- and I agreed with him -- which was for me obscured through iPhone replay only.

so do you hear the channel imbalance that is being described in your recent video? I did not hear it replaying your videos on my iPhone. But admittedly I didn’t pay a lot of attention because of the music.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
And how is the video any better than the track directly played from Qobuz ?

Even if you did prefer it, how would you even know that the source has anything to do with it ?
I find the video more engaging, I can't be certain it's down to the source but IME it usually is. What does it sound like on your system, any chance of a recording?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
so do you hear the channel imbalance that is being described in your recent video? I did not hear it replaying your videos on my iPhone. But admittedly I didn’t pay a lot of attention because of the music.

I am quite sensitive to channel imbalance. When I listened to the playback in the room I did not hear a channel imbalance.

When I listen to the iPhone recording on the iPhone, I do not hear a channel imbalance.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am quite sensitive to channel imbalance. When I listened to the playback in the room I did not hear a channel imbalance.

When I listen to the iPhone recording on the iPhone, I do not hear a channel imbalance.

Thanks Ron. What do you make of hopkins’ comments about the channel imbalance? I presumed I did not notice it because of my iPhone playback.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io

It is only an issue on the MV88 mic recordings.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thank you. I ordered this.

I want to record video portrait style. It turns out that in a tripod mount of seemingly any kind it is difficult to operate the iPhone as a video camera while the MV88 is attached.

I canceled the second MV88, and I canceled the Zoom iQ7.
No Zoom IQ7? May I inquire why you canceled your order?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Ok, maybe only those 2 I listened to were problematic.
Are you referring to a perceived attenuation imbalance between right / left speaker ? , we should consider that occasionally recordings hit the can mixed somewhat poorly for balanced stereo.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Are you referring to a perceived attenuation imbalance between right / left speaker ? , we should consider that occasionally recordings hit the can mixed somewhat poorly for balanced stereo.

To be clear:

- this is not an issue with the track itself or with the system/speakers, only with the MV88 recording

- I only pointed this out because I heard it and Ron seemed to think his MV88 was defective. The right microphone could be defective, or the internal wiring, or some setting may have been wrong? There is no doubt that there is an issue on these two recordings. If his other recordings with the MV88 are fine, then it was a fluke...only Ron can tell.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
To be clear:

- this is not an issue with the track itself or with the system/speakers, only with the MV88 recording

- I only pointed this out because I heard it and Ron seemed to think his MV88 was defective. The right microphone could be defective, or the internal wiring, or some setting may have been wrong? There is no doubt that there is an issue on these two recordings. If his other recordings with the MV88 are fine, then it was a fluke...only Ron can tell.
Curious ! Particularly if all Ron’s recordings were taken from the same location and utilise the same settings on the mic .

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Not sure why you want to do portrait using an external microphone? With the MV88+ you should have access to the full iphone screen in landscape.

MV88 Plus.jpg

If I had the MV88+ I would not use the small tripod that comes with it. I would attach the phone clamp to my regular sized tripod to achieve an ear-height position for the microphone. 1/4" inch.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
To be clear:

All his MV88 recordings have the channel imbalance, hope the MV88+ does better.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Just after 31 mins he explains how he is recording it and how phone recordings give a good idea of he actual. He records at 24/48.
At 33 mins Michael Fremer plays a recording of his system.

listening to a similar system yesterday

49F3B839-D0DF-41E3-85F5-233BF4C4AB05.jpeg

Dohmann with Reed 5A and atlas SL lambda
D7FA7144-5010-4038-B4C5-A670E5151B55.jpeg

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How was the sound? Did you like it?

I will upload videos at some point which turned out very representative. Sonny rollins, John Lee Hooker, and Beecham's Scheherazade.
Then team can decide based on videos.

The hosts were nice and I would like to thank KJ for hosting this. They are organizing fun evenings for audiophiles to get together and listen to systems not easily otherwise accessible. I respect their service. Upstairs they had a system with Engstrom 300b (takatsuki tubes) and small Franco Serblins, that had as natural a midrange as any. I really enjoyed that. Don't have videos of it.

There were three rows of people in what is a decent sized room by US standards. Just as Mark Dohmann was going to play the first LP, one audiophile started "My name is X and I work for the London stock exchange. I have been in audio for 45 years." He then proceeded to give his bio on how he has heard many systems, is an engineer but did not want to bore the rest being geeky, etc etc. He kept on for almost 10 minutes. 2 people told him X, we want to listen to the system He finally got it. But I think he had come prepared on his spiel and launched it just as the demo was about to start.

ps: I edited out his name. I am not going to forget that one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing