vintage pioneer sa8800 black casing,

Martin1949

Feb 14, 2021
PIONEER BLACK METAL CASING.

Hi, I'm brand new here just popped in to say hello. I had my Pioneer pieces now for many years, but never really set them up properly, till now. I have an SA8800, a SA 608, an SG9800 and a TX9800 all have worked perfectly over the many years I've had them. I only recently acquired the sa 8800 which is a beautiful amp its made such a difference. Thus making me want to improve my system even further. What I really want to know is what type of paint did Pioneer originally use on the black metal casings, and a link to a really good company for spare parts as and when I need something, I would like to order from one company rather than spend hrs searching all over the place, many thanks in advance to any replies. Martin

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Welcome to the forum Martin.

Sounds like you have some great classic stereo equipment.

Do you have a Pioneer turntable as well?

I have a Pioneer PL-L1000 Linear tracking turntable, the automatic features do not work but it still makes beautiful music when cued manually.

What of your loudspeakers?

You might also want to try posting these questions other forums and see if you get a few bites on your restoration questions:

Martin1949

Feb 14, 2021
Welcome to the forum Martin.

Sounds like you have some great classic stereo equipment.

Do you have a Pioneer turntable as well?

I have a Pioneer PL-L1000 Linear tracking turntable, the automatic features do not work but it still makes beautiful music when cued manually.

What of your loudspeakers?

You might also want to try posting these questions other forums and see if you get a few bites on your restoration questions:

Hi kach22i Hi kach22i,
Hi kach22i

No turntable at the moment, I use to have one, just a cheap end one, I think maybe it was a pl-340 something like that, Now long gone, But I do still have all of my old LPs, First I want to get installed a new harness system which will be a completely updated one with all new wiring and all connection and filters including the back connections to all my present individual pieces, I want to be able too can add extra pieces which as and when will all need to be updated to be able to give there maximum. I'm looking forwards to playing my LPs again.

I am also considering adding ing into the house a separate power supply from the consumer unit solely to run the HiFi system throughout the house, But this is still in its planning stages.

The speakers are probably the weakest point in my system they are pioneer cs-970, I bought an old wreaked pair from e bay for £25 many years ago, the black outer coating was peeling off so I stripped the pair and recovered them in mahogany they still look great today, sound-wise there ok Will I replace them maybe I'll have to see how the sounds change as my system starts to improve with its restoration. Martin

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Probably the weakest point of any system is the actual room the stereo is played in.

Once you get the setup right, and the acoustics sorted out so many other things just fall into place.

My room is a work in progress, but found a few things that work for me and my ears.

In short;

1. As much symmetry as possible.

2. Sit in the sweet-spot at the end of the equilateral triangle.

3. Attend to the acoustic treatment of first and second reflection points, including floor and ceiling.

4. What's behind your head is important too.

5. As little as possible cluttering up your front stage (front wall), just the two speakers and maybe a center subwoofer like I have. This means no TV on front wall unless you cover it, and no tall audio racks, maybe some equipment on low stands or put everything on the side wall close to you (or a combination).

6. Many people have their speakers too close to the front wall, pulling them into the room may open up the sound and give it air. Every mm/fraction of an inch counts (toe-in etc....).

7. Read up on vibration/energy management as well as acoustics, racks/stands can be an obsessive topic, but not without it's rewards especially if you DIY some of it to save money. Lifting those old speakers up off the floor, and off the front wall can be a mind expanding experience.

If you already know most of this and I sounded like I was talking down to you, please forgive me - I just didn't know where to start or where to end (an audiophile trait).

Cheers, George/kach22i

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing