Vinyl records are on track to outsell compact discs for the first time in 33 years

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
4AC9B310-6BE3-4755-B406-1C24097F4590.png

Reactions: Derainer and Vienna

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Expensive a LP today.
Vinyl sales represent 4% of the market overall.
In comparison streaming subscriptions is @ 62%

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/vinyl-cds-revenue-growth-riaa-880959/

$26 for Miles Davis - Kind of Blue album ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Interesting numbers - but IMHO we should read the whole article https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/14/vin...ell-cds-and-prices-have-risen-490percent.html . Some statements are really worth comment.

The taboo audiophile question (that is not asked ...) is asking what percentage of those LPs went through digital processing or handling in their creation.

Edit - just found they are US numbers, not worldwide sales. And they reflect dollar value, not the number of units.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Interesting numbers - but IMHO we should read the whole article https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/14/vin...ell-cds-and-prices-have-risen-490percent.html . Some statements are really worth comment.

The taboo audiophile question (that is not asked ...) is asking what percentage of those LPs went through digital processing or handling in their creation.

Are these just US numbers - or they include worldwide sales?

My guess would be that 90% have been cut from digital files, but I don't think that detracts from the point of the article. I think CDs are going away more because of streaming availability than LP.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
In the UK many aren't even playing them. They just want the sleeve art. According to recent media coverage at any rate.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
CD sales have dwindled due to streaming and download sales. LPs are just overtaking a physical media that is going extinct.

Reactions: christoph

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
...The taboo audiophile question (that is not asked ...) is asking what percentage of those LPs went through digital processing or handling ...
Lots and lots.

The real taboo subject was how many analog recordings went through bad digital delay (preview) back in the nineties.

Nowadays i just listen for 'good' vinyl.

If anyone thinks all analog (regardless of quality of each step) wins everytime they have not been in a mastering studio much. And i say this both being vinyl-only for my system and having cut vinyl masters...9

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing