Vinyl's Comeback

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Nice- thanks for the link.

An inaccuracy in the article- a 3 month delay in getting a project pressed has been common for the last 10 years.

Just getting the mastering done takes a while- which is why we started a mastering operation here in Minneapolis.

Have you guys mastered anything that's been released yet?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

"there is the comforting surface noise"
"So if it’s less about sound, then vinyl is a badge as much as a format"
"It feels like cassettes are now what vinyl was 10 years ago"
"Recently, London-based ICM Research found that “15 percent of those who buy physical music formats such as CDs, vinyl records, and cassettes never listen to them—they buy them purely to own""

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Have you guys mastered anything that's been released yet?

Sure. None of it has been audiophile stuff so far.

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

"there is the comforting surface noise"

I noticed that QRP was not one of the pressing plants listed. This is the plant that is owned by Acoustic Sounds. The projects we have done there have had so little surface noise that the electronics proved to be the noise floor. They did some modifications to their pressing machines to eliminate vibration during the cooling of the vinyl, with the idea this could reduce surface noise. They were right.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...They did some modifications to their pressing machines to eliminate vibration during the cooling of the vinyl, with the idea this could reduce surface noise. They were right.

Apparently this could reduce the appeal of those albums for a large number of LP buyers...

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Sure. None of it has been audiophile stuff so far. .

Ralph,

That doesn't matter to some of us. I'm curious to hear some of your pressed work. How about a list of projects you have done and possibly some information on where we can acquire them?

If you don't feel comfortable listing them here, you are welcome to PM or email the information to me since you are a registered member.

I noticed that QRP was not one of the pressing plants listed. This is the plant that is owned by Acoustic Sounds. The projects we have done there have had so little surface noise that the electronics proved to be the noise floor. They did some modifications to their pressing machines to eliminate vibration during the cooling of the vinyl, with the idea this could reduce surface noise. They were right.
All the more reason to list a few...

Dre

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Ralph,

That doesn't matter to some of us. I'm curious to hear some of your pressed work. How about a list of projects you have done and possibly some information on where we can acquire them?

Dre
Some are on Nero's Neptune (neros-neptune.com):

Danny and the Darleans (mono) NN027
Spider John Koerner NN025 (reissue)
PETER BROETZMANN & HAMID DRAKE – Solid & Spirit 2XLP NN023
MICHAEL YONKERS – Grimwood LP NN020 (reissue)

SPIDER JOHN KOERNER – Some American Folk Songs Like They Used To LP (reissue)

We've done a number of private label projects, some of which have not released. I have to say I was not impressed by most of the master tapes or files we've seen so far. In the case of the reissues, we were able to get sound that was better than the originals, so that's something...

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Do you really believe this or are you prodding the format?

The answer should be pretty obvious if you've followed his trolling.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Do you really believe this or are you prodding the format?
I'm no more of a troll than anyone else on this forum, and I do take offense at that. I've been involved in what passes for high-end audio for over 40 years and have just as much right to my opinions about what sounds "good" or "realistic" as anyone else here. Tough if you don't agree.

Discussing the "LP revival" without acknowledging that most of the sales are not driven by "sound quality" as thought of by posters here is just ignoring an inconvenient truth.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I'm no more of a troll than anyone else on this forum, and I do take offense at that. I've been involved in what passes for high-end audio for over 40 years and have just as much right to my opinions about what sounds "good" or "realistic" as anyone else here. Tough if you don't agree.

Discussing the "LP revival" without acknowledging that most of the sales are not driven by "sound quality" as thought of by posters here is just ignoring an inconvenient truth.

Take offense at what? I was asking a serious question. Don't really care what way anyone goes with their music format choices. That is why I love my country... Free choice.

Do you really believe what you posted or were you prodding (having fun, or whatever with) the format?

BTW: was this post directed at me or the person asking about trolling?

Last edited:

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Some are on Nero's Neptune (neros-neptune.com):

Danny and the Darleans (mono) NN027
Spider John Koerner NN025 (reissue)
PETER BROETZMANN & HAMID DRAKE – Solid & Spirit 2XLP NN023
MICHAEL YONKERS – Grimwood LP NN020 (reissue)

SPIDER JOHN KOERNER – Some American Folk Songs Like They Used To LP (reissue)

We've done a number of private label projects, some of which have not released. I have to say I was not impressed by most of the master tapes or files we've seen so far. In the case of the reissues, we were able to get sound that was better than the originals, so that's something...

Thanks Ralph. I'll look into picking up a re-issue of one of these titles.

Dre

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Take offense at what? I was asking a serious question. Don't really care what way anyone goes with there music format choices. That why I love my country... Free choice.

Do you really believe what you posted or where you prodding (having fun, or whatever with) the format?

Sorry, I was trying to respond to your question with the second part of my post, which I do firmly believe, BTW. I should have quoted "hvbias" above the first paragraph of my post, not you.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I haven't been following anyone's posts, so my question was serious more or less.

Trolling was a harsh word. Trying to "get a rise out of someone" might be the more politically correct phrase used on the other side of the Atlantic :)

The article written by Pitchfork has absolutely nothing to do with the high end and he knows the people in high end purchasing LPs aren't doing it for the surface noise. And the high end would be just fine without the mass audience buying vinyl as collectables or whatever. Classic Records were reissuing vinyl long after the LP was dead and way before the vinyl revival occurred.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

which "posters" are you talking about? there's nothing inconvenient about the truth, I'm sure the pressing plants and records cos. aren't complaining. If it means more reissues and new vinyl for those that appreciate the format I don't see where you're going with this. FYI, there have been upteen box sets and 'special ed' CDs released over the years of the same album over and over again, don't you think they were aimed at the collector/speculator rather than for SQ reasons? who needs yet another CD box/remaster/special ed. of fill-in-the-blank classic rock act...evidently there's a market for it, its called a business.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
For one thing, without the demand by buyers not primarily motivated by sound quality, I think it's likely that overall pressing quality would improve, and pressing quality is still a common complaint among audiophiles. For another, it makes little sense to me why someone would start a topic thread here at WBF linking an article from the popular press on the "LP revival" when much of the point of the article (as expected) is on the fashion aspect of LP buying. What makes even less sense is that this is hardly the first time it has happened, which should give a reader here pause to consider.

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
Nothing's changed I see. Been away for 10 months or so, and the first thread I look at, someone's argument is being closed down by calling him a troll.

Hope everyone's doing well.

I'll look in again in a few months!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing