Visit to Henk van der Hoeven -- Apogee Acoustics Re-builder/Restorer

These Divas are actually the first delivery of an all new Apogee Acoustics Diva Advance 9, sharing nothing with the original Diva. Like the 2019 Diva Encore, they have a dedicated metal chassis, combined with structural aged Jarrah wood, and carefully considered premium composites. They have their own unique XLM bass, with unique foil only MR and TW ribbons - all developments of the Definitive concept speakers. Utterly solid, the MRTW pod is a separate section itself weighing around the same as a complete classic Diva - but absolutely the lowest of functional profiles - symmetrical front to back, transparent to a higher degree than any Apogee before. Weighing in at around half a metric tonne per pair, with a few grams of ribbons in entirety, they make for a compelling experience. Perfect for people trapped in lock-down with a few thousand lp's, and a government endorsed agenda to make sure you listen to them :)

I have heard them in two rooms with several amps, and they really shine a light on anything they are connected to. Differences between amplifiers are laid bare - only decades after learned reviewers were telling us all amps sound the same. They were actually developed with a Nuvista M3 based system, able to drive them comfortably to their maximum output...

Compared to the classic Diva they extend both higher and lower, with a clarity in the midband that exceeds the Full Range. Much time was taken with the crossover to make certain the load was even, efficient, and amplifier friendly, a genuine nominal 4 ohms. Built to last, they are engineered to be around 900% more rigid and so less lstructural losses than any Apogee so far.

The crossover on these is at single digit hours, already well able to show detail hitherto heard in the most familiar of test discs.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
These Divas are actually the first delivery of an all new Apogee Acoustics Diva Advance 9, sharing nothing with the original Diva. Like the 2019 Diva Encore, they have a dedicated metal chassis, combined with structural aged Jarrah wood, and carefully considered premium composites. They have their own unique XLM bass, with unique foil only MR and TW ribbons - all developments of the Definitive concept speakers. Utterly solid, the MRTW pod is a separate section itself weighing around the same as a complete classic Diva - but absolutely the lowest of functional profiles - symmetrical front to back, transparent to a higher degree than any Apogee before. Weighing in at around half a metric tonne per pair, with a few grams of ribbons in entirety, they make for a compelling experience. Perfect for people trapped in lock-down with a few thousand lp's, and a government endorsed agenda to make sure you listen to them :)

I have heard them in two rooms with several amps, and they really shine a light on anything they are connected to. Differences between amplifiers are laid bare - only decades after learned reviewers were telling us all amps sound the same. They were actually developed with a Nuvista M3 based system, able to drive them comfortably to their maximum output...

Compared to the classic Diva they extend both higher and lower, with a clarity in the midband that exceeds the Full Range. Much time was taken with the crossover to make certain the load was even, efficient, and amplifier friendly, a genuine nominal 4 ohms. Built to last, they are engineered to be around 900% more rigid and so less lstructural losses than any Apogee so far.

The crossover on these is at single digit hours, already well able to show detail hitherto heard in the most familiar of test discs.

Wow, WOW, Graz! Sounds fantastic! Congratulations on this achievement!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Kewl!

thazeldean

Mar 1, 2013
I am now blissfully listening to the Diva A9's. They sound absolutely fantastic. I have made a small change to amplification. Can't thank Graz enough for the speakers he has produced for me, they are superb. Now searching for their limits will be interesting (joking). I can only wish that Graz gets lots of orders for these magnificent speakers, you won't be disappointed.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I am fairly confident that will be an appreciably better speaker than the Alsyvox Botticelli with the right amps. Postulation I know I haven't heard them but hey there's no laws against postulation.

To the owner. They will get better. Appreciably better over the coming months. You will notice it. Most notably you should find the bass fleshes out.

If you want to try solid state on the bass you just need a preamp that allows it i.e. control of relative volume. Luxman's allow it.

Those Ayons are nice sounding amps - definitely one of the better sounding amps on my Duettas. Believe me there are some real disasters out there.

To Graz - awesome work. Respect.

Last edited:

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Heard the Alsyvox driven by Dan D's Momentums. This is the same Chap who has two top tier mind boggling systems; 1. The ML Statements Evo II driven by Dan D's Relentless monoblocks (my all time favorite!).
2. Infinity IRSV driven by Momentums and the Progression amplifiers, which were his last upgrades from Lamm SS amps, which were used for a long time...)

Then he had the Maggies 30.7's for a short while, just before one of our very own Aussies who also happened to own the 30.7s. In fact the G-man was the very first and only one here to get the 30.7s, that I helped him set up.

The 30.7s have been sold to another dealer and he took ownership to represent Alsyvox for Sth East Asian market. They've got the big bucks!

He also has the CLX's driven by CJ's top of the line ART300's but not the GAT preamp, rather using the Momentum preamp and Momentum phonostage.
That's another superb system in every regard, and the ART300's won amplifiers of the year partnered with GATS2. So it's certainly nice to see another ML & CJ combination at its finest!

I heard his Alsyvox system earlier this year, and although it was extraordinary in every way a ribbon transducer can be, all of those other systems were equally superb in their own regard. So from that experience I gathered not one is ever perfect. Each one has it's merits and excells flawlessly in certain areas, whereas others excell in low frequency articulation and detail retrieval. For example, I prefer the overall transparency, level of detail and immediacy of stats but at the same time the speed of the bass and full bass lines of the Alsyvox are just incredible!

Driven by 200 grand a pair monoblocks, they better be! Sincerely I wouldn't spend that of dollars, after if whatever you've got is offering you a very high level of satisfaction, that's all that counts.

Auditioning these new Diva A9's will be a revelation, and an interesting project indeed. I'll be able to compare notes having heard these beautiful systems with the finest gear. I firmly believe that most of these are performing at their utmost top level, the room will play the biggest factor when it comes to ultimate transparency, even if the "ultimate" exists.

Definitely a truly unique Diva that has been totally rebuilt by Graz, from the original that I had, by just looking at these pics you can tell the difference straight away! Absolutely nothing to flow on build quality, and the weight alone speaks for itself. 200 something kilos, slightly more than what I used to squat during my prime rugby union days...

Very nice Graz, I'm sure you've made big T a very very proud owner.
Respect mate!

Cheers and all the best, RJ

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Well this room was basically designed to be an art studio by the doctor that had the house built by Moon Architects. Hence it's fairly basic inside, and includes a kitchenette, shower and WC etc. The main house is much larger with a 60 by 28 room and much higher standard of fit.

He split up with his girlfriend he did it with and decided to sell. He never slept a night in it!

It has three large remote controlled Velux windows with integral blinds rising to 3.5 metres. Ceiling height is 2.5 metres.

Somehow Duettas look far less imposing in this new room. There's a lot of work to do including the analogue set up, room treatments, laser projector, large area rug, wall hung guitars, art work etc etc. But at least the speakers are running, albeit sans Lampizator.

Rather more modest than the Diva A9 especially in terms of cost, but there is potential in this room. Far more space to breath, it's great to get much more space between the MRTW. The soundstage is much larger than in the previous room and consequently a lot more convincing. A bit more like hearing a band in a small venue. Good stuff.

That extra spacing between the speakers is the biggest single obvious improvement. But still with the Apogee virtues of markedly decent extremely well articulated, extended bass, fast transients etc. Must get the yes mic out and see what the +/- 0DB response is. It was 21 Hz in the last room. I suspect it'll be about the same in here but there's useful output below that figure too.

Do they still sound like Duettas in here? Yes. Totally. Just better Duettas. But the room does need a bit more damping down.

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_172518.jpg
    IMG_20200329_172518.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200329_172027.jpg
    IMG_20200329_172027.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20200329_172100.jpg
    IMG_20200329_172100.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 58

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great read Big Dog RJ! Which Alsyvox did you hear? The 4-panel Caravaggios by any chance? Any more 'notes' on how the ML Statements, IRS V systems compared? Any notes on Alsyvox also welcome! Intrigued to hear those some day.

Heard the Alsyvox driven by Dan D's Momentums. This is the same Chap who has two top tier mind boggling systems; 1. The ML Statements Evo II driven by Dan D's Relentless monoblocks (my all time favorite!).
2. Infinity IRSV driven by Momentums and the Progression amplifiers, which were his last upgrades from Lamm SS amps, which were used for a long time...)

Then he had the Maggies 30.7's for a short while, just before one of our very own Aussies who also happened to own the 30.7s. In fact the G-man was the very first and only one here to get the 30.7s, that I helped him set up.

The 30.7s have been sold to another dealer and he took ownership to represent Alsyvox for Sth East Asian market. They've got the big bucks!

He also has the CLX's driven by CJ's top of the line ART300's but not the GAT preamp, rather using the Momentum preamp and Momentum phonostage.
That's another superb system in every regard, and the ART300's won amplifiers of the year partnered with GATS2. So it's certainly nice to see another ML & CJ combination at its finest!

I heard his Alsyvox system earlier this year, and although it was extraordinary in every way a ribbon transducer can be, all of those other systems were equally superb in their own regard. So from that experience I gathered not one is ever perfect. Each one has it's merits and excells flawlessly in certain areas, whereas others excell in low frequency articulation and detail retrieval. For example, I prefer the overall transparency, level of detail and immediacy of stats but at the same time the speed of the bass and full bass lines of the Alsyvox are just incredible!

Driven by 200 grand a pair monoblocks, they better be! Sincerely I wouldn't spend that of dollars, after if whatever you've got is offering you a very high level of satisfaction, that's all that counts.

Auditioning these new Diva A9's will be a revelation, and an interesting project indeed. I'll be able to compare notes having heard these beautiful systems with the finest gear. I firmly believe that most of these are performing at their utmost top level, the room will play the biggest factor when it comes to ultimate transparency, even if the "ultimate" exists.

Definitely a truly unique Diva that has been totally rebuilt by Graz, from the original that I had, by just looking at these pics you can tell the difference straight away! Absolutely nothing to flow on build quality, and the weight alone speaks for itself. 200 something kilos, slightly more than what I used to squat during my prime rugby union days...

Very nice Graz, I'm sure you've made big T a very very proud owner.
Respect mate!

Cheers and all the best, RJ

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well this room was basically designed to be an art studio by the doctor that had the house built by Moon Architects. Hence it's fairly basic inside, and includes a kitchenette, shower and WC etc. The main house is much larger with a 60 by 28 room and much higher standard of fit.

He split up with his girlfriend he did it with and decided to sell. He never slept a night in it!

It has three large remote controlled Velux windows with integral blinds rising to 3.5 metres. Ceiling height is 2.5 metres.

Somehow Duettas look far less imposing in this new room. There's a lot of work to do including the analogue set up, room treatments, laser projector, large area rug, wall hung guitars, art work etc etc. But at least the speakers are running, albeit sans Lampizator.

Rather more modest than the Diva A9 especially in terms of cost, but there is potential in this room. Far more space to breath, it's great to get much more space between the MRTW. The soundstage is much larger than in the previous room and consequently a lot more convincing. A bit more like hearing a band in a small venue. Good stuff.

That extra spacing between the speakers is the biggest single obvious improvement. But still with the Apogee virtues of markedly decent extremely well articulated, extended bass, fast transients etc. Must get the yes mic out and see what the +/- 0DB response is. It was 21 Hz in the last room. I suspect it'll be about the same in here but there's useful output below that figure too.

Do they still sound like Duettas in here? Yes. Totally. Just better Duettas. But the room does need a bit more damping down.
Justin, no doubt the fixed 120" screen for the UST PJ will have a bearing on SQ, and it might not be positive.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Justin, no doubt the fixed 120" screen for the UST PJ will have a bearing on SQ, and it might not be positive.

Until you try...

I think it will be fine. Some front wall damping would help improve things. It is really only a frame with some cloth over it. It will do less damage than a big conventional telly vibrating and reflecting sound waves of that I have no doubt.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Besides Marc I only bought this house so Ked would have somewhere to put his horns whilst he waits for the big house move;):D

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kinda like a big audio foodbank.
Too bad he'll get arrested by Plod en route.
Btw, is it possible to use standard roll-down AV screens w these PJs? Or are they all fixed on frames?
Is it possible to get this screen material adapted to a roll-down system?
I ask because access to my room is impossible for yr predicted size of fixed frame.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
They do all sorts. They will roll up from the floor or drop down from the ceiling automatically should you so wish.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Let me keep in PM contact w you on that. Look, the very best of British on sorting yr sound. For me re getting a new room, it's been almost literally a £1m upgrade, no exaggeration. Makes self isolating half palatable.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne

Very nice setup, looks simple and to the point.
I'm thinking that should be a fine and pure sound reproduction in its natural form, without artificial enhancements ... btw are you using subs? Anything hidden behind curtains? I don't believe Apogees require subs or any panels for that matter, as long as they're setup optimally and driven adequately by stable amplification. Plenty of current required to grip the bass and deliver, it's a marvelous thing!

I specifically like the color and how it blends with the room, it nearly makes the Apos invisble!
Nice Sky light, that should make a few stars shine at night...
Cheers, have a good one mate
RJ

Reactions: Zero000

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
No subs. Used to use an ML Descent with Ascents and tried to use it with Duettas then sold it.

Double glazed windows behind the curtains with doors out onto the garden.

Choice of three sets of amps.

Still getting used to the change in sonics. Things just sound more realistic in there somehow.

When it's sorted it'll be very good. I think I need to find a carpenter for a decent equipment rack. I haven't got a good solution for that space between the speakers and the amount gear I have.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Great read Big Dog RJ! Which Alsyvox did you hear? The 4-panel Caravaggios by any chance? Any more 'notes' on how the ML Statements, IRS V systems compared? Any notes on Alsyvox also welcome! Intrigued to hear those some day.

G'day Lloyd mate,

In fact having experienced these top tier systems each year around Feb, each time I do visit the chappy seems to change from one over the other but always retains the Statement Evo IIs and the Infinity IRSV'S. For example his last pair of large panels were actually the Maggies 30.7's. He moved these onto another dealer and now has the Alsyvox. These were the second in line, Bochelli (However you spell it...) Both of these systems including the CLX's were driven by the Momentums, and CJ's ART300's, which I'm very very fond of! He uses the Relentless monoblocks on the Statements, and what a performance, at one point its like NASA's space shuttle taking off and then in a blink of an eye its like a butterfly flapping its wings. The Relentless amps have an extraordinary level of control and grip over panels. They're just superb!

Now although these are very large sounding systems, with large scale and big soundstage depth, sometimes I do wonder what's all the fuss about, especially when it comes to "coherency" and for me as a matter of fact, after all these lofty systems, including owning similar ones myself, I actually find the simpler systems far more coherent, intimate, precise and full of detail regardless of volumes levels.

I've made a full report of these in some other posts, can't remember the exact ones but I think it was when I heard the 30.7's for the first time in Spore and then later helped a fellow Aussie mate setup his 30.7's in Melb, since he was the one and only person to get hold of the 30.7's over here. They go for around 28-30 grand in the U.S. but here they're actually closer to 60 grand!

I really don't want to dwell too much on these other big gear, since I've already posted many regarding the Statements, IRSV's and Alsyvox, plus this thread is focused on something entirely different. But if you wanted to know more about the way they reproduce music, I can certainly message you on that.

I will say one thing though, after having heard the Statements with the Relentless amps (just extraordinary and fabulous!), I'm actually getting a very similar sense of presentation from the CLX's, it's certainly not that far a margin. The most significant differences are the massive force in the LF and the sheer speed and acceleration of the panels being driven by the Relentless amps is a truly unique experience.

Having heard the Alsyvox, which I do like very much but will never afford that level, just to experience this system being driven by CJ's ART300's and the Momentums was equally fabulous! Probably more coherent in my terms.

I would probably categorize these into rooms and appropriate size plus listening levels. Therefore, if you have very large rooms, halls or theatre type settings, the larger systems such as Statements, IRSV'S and Maggie 30.7s would suit best. They do actually excell in such large settings. And when I say large, I mean really large!

On a much more smaller scale, more intimate and immersive experience, a smaller setting with a dedicated area would best suit Alsyvox, CLX's and Apogee Divas. On a final note, after having heard the Alsyvox, it will be very interesting to audition these latest refurbed Diva's by Graz, I sincerely believe they will give the Alsyvox a good run for overall value. There's no doubt!

The Apogee Grand OTOH is again one of those best suited for much larger room settings.

Btw, there's another fellow member on WBF who happens to own the Alsyvox driven by CJ's original top of the line ART monoblocks. Although these are not the ART300's, I'm very positive his system will be reproducing a fine level of pristine quality!
Those Alsyvox ribbons are truly special in every sense of the term ribbon transducers, but they do come at a pretty penny... when you're up close to one and just by looking at them without touching, you can tell straight away the top grade in quality and workmanship, no compromises whatsoever!
So I guess that's the price!

Anyway, I'm just fortunate to have put together so many different systems for others who are still very pleased with what they've got. One thing for sure is, I'm very pleased with mine! So with that said, I'm off to rest... got to a heavy week ahead since we're regarded "essential services" must keep the wheels turning for our beloved Aussie folks.

Cheers maaate,
RJ

Reactions: bonzo75

Apogeelover

Jun 14, 2016
If you want a amp which will easily drive apogees look into the Nord amps.These are sold direct from the manufacturer so don`t incur massive markups from dealers etc.
The build quality is exceptional for the price.The reviews are very favourable,some customers ditching their Krells,Mcintoshes,Acuphases etc for these amps,and yes they are Class D.They are based on the Hypex modules mostly but some on ICE and Superfi modules.Don`t dismiss these out of hand they really do best a lot of more expensive linear amps and not just in the bass but in other areas aswell.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Btw, there's another fellow member on WBF who happens to own the Alsyvox driven by CJ's original top of the line ART monoblocks. Although these are not the ART300's, I'm very positive his system will be reproducing a fine level of pristine quality!

Cheers maaate,
RJ
You’re absolutely right RJ. I haven’t heard the ART300 but my friend who owns it and the original ART monos says that the older brother is better. ART300 is more muscular, powerful and authoritative in the bass region but the original ART is much more refined, balanced and not so in your face attractive. Anyway, ART monos drive my Botticellis effortlessly and I don’t feel the need for anything more powerful.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
If you want a amp which will easily drive apogees look into the Nord amps.These are sold direct from the manufacturer so don`t incur massive markups from dealers etc.
The build quality is exceptional for the price.The reviews are very favourable,some customers ditching their Krells,Mcintoshes,Acuphases etc for these amps,and yes they are Class D.They are based on the Hypex modules mostly but some on ICE and Superfi modules.Don`t dismiss these out of hand they really do best a lot of more expensive linear amps and not just in the bass but in other areas aswell.

Best they recap those Krells and service to spec.! The Nord would make a great hold over until you get your Krell back ..

Reactions: rugyboogie

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing