Vitus / Gryphon

panjan

Apr 29, 2013
Hello, Gents!
What are your experiences with these products? In particular, I'm talking about amplifiers - Vitus Signature / Masterpiece Series and Gryphon Colosseum / Mephisto.
Thank you in advance for sharing your opinions.

Edit. If the thread is in the wrong section, please pass for another one (Aplification / Preamplification)

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi. I will share my 2 cents. Having run with Gryphon for a number of years...I truly enjoy my Colosseum and really have stopped looking except to learn about new stuff (Constellation, D'Agostino, etc). I am not in the market. I have not heard Vitus nor Mephisto. What I can say is that I've made my choice after listening to a number of wonderful amps which are undoubtedly great: ARC, Krell, D'Agostino, Boulder 2060, MBL Ref monos, CJ, Zanden, Constellation, DTZL.

The Gryphon does not shrink from loads like Sasha, is silent on a 95db efficient speaker when on, has a pure tonality that creates magic for me. Plus the unlimited power reserves create an effortless delivery which is in itself beautiful.

I am told Mephisto has even greater purity of tone, with all the power, etc and likely more.

Happy to answer more questions if can.

Last edited:

panjan

Apr 29, 2013
Thanks lloydelee,
Many people have recommended Gryphon for me, especially in the context of Magico.
Do you have a feeling "been there" with your Colosseum? :)

panjan

Apr 29, 2013
yes, I've read all the reviews on the internet and in the press. Now I wait for Magico and I'm curious opinions of private owners or people who listen Vitus and Gryphon.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks lloydelee,
Many people have recommended Gryphon for me, especially in the context of Magico.
Do you have a feeling "been there" with your Colosseum? :)

Hi Panjan,

While I always enjoy my system as an audiophile, my system has gotten to the point where I listen to the music and appreciate how much I can enjoy that music...which in a circular way, comes back to my enjoyment of the quality of my system.

The best part is that Listening to music for me is listening to the performance, the musical cues, the intonation and nuances...Gardiner vs Von Karajan, Brubeck live, Nat King Cole in the studio (and you can clearly tell he is in a studio), or an Ame house remix where you can appreciate how they layered their tracks.

And the system allows me to do that better. And my system is partly the Colosseum for which I cannot think of an amp i prefer. And yes, while I lay much of that enjoyment at the voice of my Zanden, I give credit to the Gryphon for its effortless delivery of that voice with limitless dynamics, micro-shadings, nuance, etc

panjan

Apr 29, 2013
Amazing :)
I have to try.
Gryphon Mephisto is even better, supposedly. He can create an amazing space and soundstage, has great microdynamics and infinite energy.

Did you comapred Gryphon to Vitus?

panjan

Apr 29, 2013
Gryphon Mephisto Stereo/Solo - 350/400W/4Ohm.... PURE CLASS A - and everything is clear :)
This amp will drive all speakers on the market.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
happy for you!

Hi Panjan,

While I always enjoy my system as an audiophile, my system has gotten to the point where I listen to the music and appreciate how much I can enjoy that music...which in a circular way, comes back to my enjoyment of the quality of my system.

The best part is that Listening to music for me is listening to the performance, the musical cues, the intonation and nuances...Gardiner vs Von Karajan, Brubeck live, Nat King Cole in the studio (and you can clearly tell he is in a studio), or an Ame house remix where you can appreciate how they layered their tracks.

And the system allows me to do that better. And my system is partly the Colosseum for which I cannot think of an amp i prefer. And yes, while I lay much of that enjoyment at the voice of my Zanden, I give credit to the Gryphon for its effortless delivery of that voice with limitless dynamics, micro-shadings, nuance, etc

I am very happy for you, this is an inspiring post :)
egidius

panjan

Apr 29, 2013
I do not have preamp. I buy a whole new system and now I'm looking for amplifiers. I always use the same preamps companies as amplifiers. So I would take Pandora to Mephisto.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I do not have preamp. I buy a whole new system and now I'm looking for amplifiers. I always use the same preamps companies as amplifiers. So I would take Pandora to Mephisto.

Good call...I love my CJ GAT and have no desire to look further. But starting from scratch...I certainly would look at Pandora with Mephisto given how many good things I have heard about this preamp. in fact, I think the Pandora's improvement over the Mirage is greater than the Mephisto over the Colosseum from what I have been told by people who've compared.

Last edited:

panjan

Apr 29, 2013
IMO 90% of amplifiers sounds better with dedicated preamp. Preamp and amplifier is one inseparable component for me.
I'm not a fan of the connection "source - power amp" directly.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
IMO 90% of amplifiers sounds better with dedicated preamp. Preamp and amplifier is one inseparable component for me.
I'm not a fan of the connection "source - power amp" directly.

I know Microstrip feels similarly and has said so here numerous times. Not in the cards for me, but I enjoy my music so much, I am no longer looking for front end equipment except to learn/have some fun occasionally. In your case, I have heard the Pandora/Mephisto are remarkable.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Amazing :)
I have to try.
Gryphon Mephisto is even better, supposedly. He can create an amazing space and soundstage, has great microdynamics and infinite energy.

Did you comapred Gryphon to Vitus?

Hi Panjan...just following up. What is the latest? ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
this is interesting. Can you explain what made you prefer the Mephisto over the Vitus Signature?

+1...would love to hear more about Colosseum vs Mephisto vs Vitus Signature.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I started with Pandora & Mephisto Stereo Then move on to Vitus MPS & Vitus MPP . Then to Vitus MPL , MPM , MPP & MPD . Which is better ? Obvious to me . However I think Mephisto stereo is good for the $$$. Great to heat up the room . It can get really really hot

Reactions: Amir

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I started with Pandora & Mephisto Stereo Then move on to Vitus MPS & Vitus MPP . Then to Vitus MPL , MPM , MPP & MPD . Which is better ? Obvious to me . However I think Mephisto stereo is good for the $$$. Great to heat up the room . It can get really really hot

I liked the Vitus SM 101. What is the difference with Gryphon Colosseum, do you know? I can see Vitus is good for tone, full body and liquidity. Does Gryphon have those qualities? What about midbass, speed, dynamics, and Spectral like jumps?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing