Vitus SM-103 Monos

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Have you heard these amps? If so, what’s your opinion of them? Positives and negatives.

Thanks in advance.

From the Vitus website:

E2B54B7E-F29F-459B-8E91-BF4792874C08.jpeg

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Vitus was all the rage 2 or 3 years ago.
Looks like they lost their belle de jour status first to Dartzeel and then to CH Precision :D

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Vitus was all the rage 2 or 3 years ago.
Looks like they lost their belle de jour status first to Dartzeel and then to CH Precision :D

Thanks. IMO, Vitus didn’t have a U.S. rep who properly represented their brand for some time. So, others filled in the high end gap. This cost Vitus brand recognition and many sales. However, they continued make strides in Europe, etc. during this time. And now that Vitus himself is going back into a mostly technical role at the company (his son is taking over the day to day ops) there will be some new improvements and new products forthcoming.

So, things have changed now.

Oz is a fantastic U.S. Vitus rep IMO. He’s willing to help in any way he can, even willing to fly out to our home, etc. And he’s a wealth of knowledge.

So, I think with their current dealers in the U.S. (and from what I understand more in time are coming), we will see them make many strides in the U.S. Brand recognition will be back in the Audiophile news.

I heard Vitus many years ago, but it wasn‘t within reach for me at that time. However, I’ve always remembered the sound I heard. WOW what a sound it was. I’m anxious to see if it is as majestic today as when I first heard it - maybe even better.

My demo Vitus - I think the entry level, R1-101 Mk ll Int Amp - will be delivered sometime next week. It is only an AB amp, but I’ll be able to see how it compares to EMM MTRX2 - Class AB - monos. I’m hoping it has their DAC in it as well (an option) so I can compare it to the other DACs I’ve heard.

The Vitus amp I’m considering is their Signature SM-103 monos. It will be much different from the Integrated they are sending for eval. But the Reference Integrated will give me a taste of what they are capable of …

We will see in about a week. :)

Reactions: rubinken

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I've spent quite a bit of time listening to Vitus at dealers, shows, and at home. There's a lot to like, with typical class-A creaminess to the sound that makes for a very relaxing listen. I found myself wanting more detail and drive to the sound however and looked elsewhere.
In addition, my sense was that you are paying a lot for the ergonomics etc. Still - love the look and a good part of what the sound offers.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Many Thanks for the Vitus comments. I’ll have a two week demo, but it’s great to know more about what possible deficiencies to listen for during my demo. Thanks and keep the info flowing.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Many Thanks for the Vitus comments. I’ll have a two week demo, but it’s great to know more about what possible deficiencies to listen for during my demo. Thanks and keep the info flowing.

Try a CAT JL5 for a change , i know the brand is not much hyped , but non the less

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Try a CAT JL5 for a change , i know the brand is not much hyped , but non the less

Thanks but I desire SS amps. I’m using a VAC for our phono stage - and love it. But for the amps I desire SS.

Reactions: KeithR

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks but I desire SS amps. I’m using a VAC for our phono stage - and love it. But for the amps I desire SS.

Have you tried SS preamps like Soulution into valve power amps works brilliantly.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Have you tried SS preamps like Soulution into valve power amps works brilliantly.

I considered the Soulution 501s. However, after a lot reading I decided I’d rather have the 701s. But they are out of budget at this time.

We have plans to build a new room. Soulution 701s (or their latest rendition) will be in the mix again.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I considered the Soulution 501s. However, after a lot reading I decided I’d rather have the 701s. But they are out of budget at this time.

We have plans to build a new room. Soulution 701s (or their latest rendition) will be in the mix again.

Not their power amps. Their preamps like used Soulution 720 or 725 into a valve power amp

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Not their power amps. Their preamps like used Soulution 720 or 725 into a valve power amp

Ok, but 8m not in the market for a pre at this time. The EMM is excellent.

Diasoft5

Feb 19, 2020
40764 Langenfeld / Germany
I had the Vitus RI-101 Mk ll at my home (without DAC). It is a fantastic machine. I love it. Here in Europe the "small" amp is getting closer and closer in price to the SIA025. And with good reason. It sounds phenomenal. It doesn't have the Class A melt and flow. It is more neutral in an absolutely perfect way, but without being listless and colorless. So if you find the Vitus Class A sound too warm, this is perfect for you. I have a Cambridge Edge A and W combination that I use in biamping mode. If you add the XLR connection cable, you now come into similar price regions as the RI-101, but unfortunately not in similar sound regions. I could certainly live happily with the RI-101 MkII instead of the SIA025. It sounds different, but not really inferior.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had the Vitus RI-101 Mk ll at my home (without DAC). It is a fantastic machine. I love it. Here in Europe the "small" amp is getting closer and closer in price to the SIA025. And with good reason. It sounds phenomenal. It doesn't have the Class A melt and flow. It is more neutral in an absolutely perfect way, but without being listless and colorless. So if you find the Vitus Class A sound too warm, this is perfect for you. I have a Cambridge Edge A and W combination that I use in biamping mode. If you add the XLR connection cable, you now come into similar price regions as the RI-101, but unfortunately not in similar sound regions. I could certainly live happily with the RI-101 MkII instead of the SIA025. It sounds different, but not really inferior.

It sounds pretty poor. We had compared directly to Dartzeel integrated You really need the SIA 25 in the integrated or in the amps SM 102 to get good sound.

Reactions: KeithR and Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
If we get the Vitus it will be the SM-103 Monos - at the top of their Signature line.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing