Vivaldi In Venice/Interpreti Veneziani - Chasing The Dragon 180g LPs

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
After reading the TAS review, I bought it, and this is hands down one absolutely sensational performance and recording - string tone up there with the very best I have ever heard, and nothing that the best redbook digital (that I have heard) has done for me yet. Dead quiet pressing as well.

Reactions: astrotoy

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Dane Denyer in his Reel to Real Rambler blog has a couple of recent posts about the actual recording and his review of the tapes that came out of the sessions.

https://thereeltoreelrambler.com/

Larry

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yeah that's great stuff!

Part 1 https://thereeltoreelrambler.com/20...king-audiophile-recordings-of-a-live-concert/

Part 2 https://thereeltoreelrambler.com/20...post-script-from-the-ramblers-listening-room/

Right from the opening bars of the first piece (Violin Concerto in B minor, RV 386), I’m immediately aware of the tremendous dynamism of the sound. The bass is deep, rich and full and within moments I can sense the dimension of the venue. The bass reverberates, filling the air and hanging in the space for a moment, then reaching out to the boundaries of the venue, defining its size, shape and even architecture. Then the sweet harmonious tones of the violins, so difficult to reproduce well, soar silkily above the bass notes and add to the impression of volume (spatial volume, not loudness). They seem to search out the venue’s nooks and crannies, reflecting perhaps off a surface, be it the marble floor, the walls, ceiling.

Of course the choice of microphones and how they are positioned is critical to capturing this level of authenticity, which Neville relates in fascinating detail in his report of the event. Also worthy of note is the fact that Mike Valentine used (for the first time on this recording) hugely expensive Zensati cables from microphone to mains – every cable in the recording chain.

To sum up, this is one of the most wonderfully captivating examples of the recording art I’ve ever experienced. It far surpasses anything I’ve heard recorded in a studio. In fact the particulars of the venue and the moment of the live performance are so key that I almost think the recording credits ought to extend beyond the ‘usual suspects’ to include the architect of the hall, the audience, perhaps even the air, the sun on that day in Venice, the cleaners who swept and polished the floors and left just the right amount of dust to add to the smell, etc etc.

And it's hard not to gloat with the digital-silence of this pressing

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing