Vivids with T+A amps or integrated

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I was curious if anyone has experience with T+A and Vivids. I heard an HV T+A preamp + monos and HV T+A integrated with several Magicos and very much like the full bodied yet detailed and quite dynamic sound I heard.

Last edited:
Reactions: yyzSB

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I have heard various amps on my vivid G1's. Never heard T+A on Vivid only on Magico. Didn't much care for what I heard there but it is all system dependent.

Spectral -- not enough current to effectively drive the woofers
Jeff Rowland -- solid bass but just didn't quite do it in the mids
Luxman -- Nice!
Mola Mola -- not a fan of the sound of this amp
AudioNet -- My current amplifier -- warm yet detailed, great imaging and open soundstage, dynamic
Gryphon -- Earth shanking bass, detailed, sweetness

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Some amps I have heard but not in my system:

Dartzeel monoblocks -- heard this several times. Fantastic sound. I am skeptical if the stereo amp is capable of running the woofers on the Giya
Jadis -- melt in your seat kind of sound. very relaxed, warm sound.
Constellation -- not heard too much or too long but overall no complaints

Overall, the vivid's are going to easily let you hear the character of the amplifier. Although Vivid specs the speakers at 6 ohm load they are not really a consistent 6 ohm load. You can see this in the measurements published online. They are 3-4 ohms in the bass and 8+ ohms in the mids/highs. This means that they are a little harder for an amplifier to drive than you might expect based on the specs. To me, the Giyas are polite on the top end and neutral/revealing. If they are fed junk then they will spew junk. My preference is to add a touch of warmth/sweetness with whatever amp. But YMMV.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thanks sbnx. Can I ask which T+A you heard on the Magicos? From what I have heard the HV (high voltage) line is a level above their other lines and what I heard on Magico S5s and M3s.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Thanks sbnx. Can I ask which T+A you heard on the Magicos? From what I have heard the HV (high voltage) line is a level above their other lines and what I heard on Magico S5s and M3s.

I honestly don’t know the model. It was at a show. The A3’s with T+A. The sound was not so good. Could have been just a poor setup. I believe a lot of people like T+A but i dont have experience with it.

I have listened to quite a few amplifiers with my G1’s and wanted to convey the various experiences with them. Have you heard the T+A in your system? I hope you can find a dealer that will allow you an in home demo before you spend.

~Todd

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thanks again. I have heard that Luxman and Gryphon are very good with Vivids like you said. And I heard G1s at a Dallas Vivid dealer using the big Gryphon stereo amp and it sounded excellent. Also, an in home demo with T+A will be tough especially since I would look to buy whatever amp used.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
sbo6, i’m guessing you heard the vivids at scott warrens place. That’s where I heard the Dartzeel’s. I’m pretty sure if you asked Scott would bring a couple amps to your place to audition. Luxman, Gryphon, Audionet, Constellation — Dealers choice. Or i should say your choice.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing