Vortex Screen Speakers

Txc500

Oct 21, 2020
Hi there, just wondering if there are any other Vortex Screen speaker owners out there? I think this speaker has an interesting history. It's a wonderful sounding speaker in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20201020_102936.jpg
    20201020_102936.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20201019_223934_701.jpg
    IMG_20201019_223934_701.jpg
    1,008.1 KB · Views: 3

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I had several of Von Schweikerts speakers, right after the vortex.. The VR4’s were the evolution of the Vortex screens, if I recall correctly. From the NY Watertown factory.
I started out with the VR3’s , then moved up to the 4’s, which were very good ! Albert used the fabric to keep the costs down and delivered an impressive sound for the price.. He used some inexpensive drivers and coated them with a rubberized cement which gave them more “weighted” sound and kept the foam from drying out.. I then moved to the VR6 which were ugly and large and hard to setup ! Also had the veneer come loose in the places where it curved.. Then the flood hit the Watertown factory and Albert lost much of his inventory and the factory.. I luckily sold the VR6’s and was about to go with something else..
I received a call from Albert after he relocated to the San Diego area.. He told me to buy these VR7’s , that was the first thing he said! He was so excited about the quality of the cabinets! He had some company in NY who built high end furniture for the wealthy create these cabinets.. He went on like a kid in a candy factory and I bought the 3rd pair of the VR7’s that he had made.. I owned these speakers for almost 19 years before I sold them for something a bit less majestic for my new smaller audio room after downsizing.. I hope the new owner realizes what a special speaker those 7’s were.. Albert was a good friend .. He truly loved designing and making music.. I’m so glad I knew and listened to his advice and wisdom.. when starting out with his speakers, he was very proud to build high end speakers that were affordable! I will miss the long conversations and his excitement over his creations.. and the great sound he delivered for a reasonable price.. Alberts backers knew had Something special and it all went sky high after the 7’s .. What a thrilling ride !

Txc500

Oct 21, 2020
Wow! What a story! Albert seemed like quite an amazing guy, and very eager to interact with his customers. I emailed him after I got these, and he sent me an email answering all my questions and offering more info even than I requested. I never realized he was in Watertown years ago, and I'm in Rochester! Thanks for the reply!

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Wow! What a story! Albert seemed like quite an amazing guy, and very eager to interact with his customers. I emailed him after I got these, and he sent me an email answering all my questions and offering more info even than I requested. I never realized he was in Watertown years ago, and I'm in Rochester! Thanks for the reply!

You’re Welcome.. Albert is hero of mine in the world of audio..
He loved talking anything audio, He did his best work in the back room designing and building speakers. He was more into that than the business aspect of VSA. Albert made me a ”Dealer” for the audio club when I lived in TX and then NC. I even managed to move a few pairs of VR5’s and VR7’s .. this was before Albert put together a real dealer network, which didn’t work out too well until Albert received some formal backing and corresponding business model. He was a musician, guitarist in a band called the Ravens.. way back when..

Txc500

Oct 21, 2020
He loved talking anything audio, He did his best work in the back room designing and building speakers. He was more into that than the business aspect of VSA. Albert made me a ”Dealer” for the audio club when I lived in TX and then NC. I even managed to move a few pairs of VR5’s and VR7’s .. this was before Albert put together a real dealer network, which didn’t work out too well until Albert received some formal backing and corresponding business model. He was a musician, guitarist in a band called the Ravens.. way back when..

That's great, you were really involved. I was really sorry to see he passed

Wow that's great, you were really involved huh? I was really sorry to hear that Albert passed away this year. It seems he really had a passion all the way back to the beginning. I have been toying with the idea of moving my screens along to someone else however I know I'll never find another pair around here. I do want to downsize the gear that I have though but not sure if those will be part of it yet. It was nice to meet you, all the best, Tom.

Reactions: Mikem53

raelectron

Feb 18, 2022
Hello,

Happened to see this thread. I have Vortex Screen's (S/N 54/55) from about 1989 or early 90's? I too had a wonderful experience with Mr.Von Schweikert about 2009. One of the woofer voice coils was roasted out (due to my powering with a defective amplifier) I contacted AVS Audio in CA, Mr. Von Schweikert came to the phone and explained that he no longer had any parts for that early model but put me in touch with a company in MN that would be able to do a satisfactory re-coning of the driver. He also took the time to give me some of the history behind the design. I did not know of Albert Von Schweikert's passing until seeing this thread but wanted to add my experience that he was, indeed, a wonderful person.

Craig

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing