Voxativ, UK owners

stretchneck

Apr 24, 2020
Hi,

I am looking for a UK owner of Voxativ speakers, ideally ampeggio.

Voxativ don’t currently have a UK dealer, so am looking for someone who would be happy to demo them to me?

Happy to bring over some of my gear over for you to try out as well (I have some very good digital audio stuff, Hugo TT2, 01A preamp etc… which are easy to move around… my LX521 speakers are not easily shifted though!)

Thanks
Gavin, Oxford

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Also curious to know how you get on!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

stretchneck

Apr 24, 2020
Well I listened to the Ampeggios. They are the version before the field coil upgrade.

The owners electronics was all ultra high end stuff - formula DAC, SGM extreme music server etc… really nice.

My overall impression is one of delicacy, clarity and detail. They have a very revealing mid and top end.

The same can also be said of the low end, but it’s not very powerful and rolls off early. The Ampeggios sound thin as a result because they lack support from the lower registers.

They are not capable of large dynamic swings, they do not represent staccato piano faithfully - there’s no real dynamics to speak of compared to a classic dynamic driver based loudspeaker.

My number one disappointment was the complete lack of imaging - this might be due to the cone whizzer apparently. The soundstage is nice and room filling, but everything is just awash and almost impossible to locate items as recorded/mastered.

Nice to work with as background music as they don’t capture your attention - but other than that not my cup of tea at all.

Personally I’d rather have a pair of Kef LS50’s or R3 which can sound really amazing if you give them high quality electronics. I think the Ampeggios owners electronics deserve better loudspeakers IMO.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

stretchneck

Apr 24, 2020
Further feedback on this - 1 and a bit years more wiser - I have heard a pair of Cube Nenuphar/Jazzon recently and it got me thinking about the Ampeggios again. I do wonder if speaker placement (owner was aiming for a very wide soundstage and sweetspot) and also potentially associated electronics contributed to the lack of imaging. Anyway, what I do remember that was very positive about it was the musical flow and tonality which was top notch.

Anyway, Cube loudspeakers do seem to resolve some issues for me - bass is present and plentiful and they do image precisely - but I personally felt there was a rising response in frequency and beaming - which is apparently true for all full range, and especially high sensitivity, speakers. Cube Audio might design them like this intentionally, a bit like a headphone V-shape (there were the V2 versions, so flatter response than earlier models apparently). Very HiFi, and the amount of detail retrieval was stunning, but alas not something I can get on with long term - too harsh.

Anyway, a good experience and does show me that I don't necessarily need a multi-way speaker - I might not be able to get on with beaming from a full ranger, but a 2 way in a TQWT / mass loaded TQWT could be very amazing and have the dispersion characteristics I like.

Best speakers I've heard to date: kroma atelier stella xtreme, which is odd because these have a boosted trebble, which I didn't detect... system matching, room etc... so many variables!

Just thought I'd share my experience for others looking in this direction.

Reactions: flkin

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hiya. I've been running Zus for nigh on 15 years now, currently turbocharged with addition of 180° dispersion Arya Audio Airblades tweeters.
The Zus like Voxativ are predominantly full range single driver designs, and I can certainly confirm your thoughts on the lack of laser focussed imaging, although I've worked hard to optimise these aspects amongst others.
If you're up for an alternative full range drivers type presentation, you're welcome to visit me up in sunny Norfolk.
It'll be at the very least a relevant data point for another single driver/full range type presentation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing