VPI Anniversary HW-40 direct drive TT

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Just wanted to post a bit of feedback on this TT as we had it in-house for about a week for demos. It came to us with the new gimbal arm and the new Van den hul Black Crimson cartridge. The result was really superb with depth, punch and drive. There was no dryness that can sometimes be heard with lesser DD and/or friction drive systems. Very nicely structured and deep soundstage and great tonality (no doubt assisted by the Crimson cart and Silvaweld phonostage we were using). The biggest strengths were the soundstage, bass depth and control and sense of drive to the music... Transparency and tonality were also strong points although I think these were also heavily governed by the cart/phono. While this might (or might not) be up to the highest level, it is definitely punching well in the under 25K class and should definitely be considered against the belt drives in this class and the other DDs.

Reactions: goheelz and XV-1

theophile

In what manner would you say that it bettered the GT 2000 specifically? A GT 2000 owner would like to know what the next frontier of DD sounds like.

Pallen

Jun 25, 2018
Last week I got to audition this turntable at length in my home system - a rare luxury. I too came away impressed. To my ears, it's a clear step up from the AMG Viella V12 & turbo arm combo that I last owned. I used exactly the same cartridge from that set up to audition the HW-40. I was curious to experience the drive and timing that so many enthuse about with direct drives. It didn't disappoint but I most noticed was the super clean, crisp midrange detail.

Of all the reviews out there, the one that captures what I heard is Ken Kessler's review in HiFi News. Here are 3 quotes that resonate with me: 'It's been a few years since I had a massive direct-drive in my system, so I had forgotten just how silent they can be, and how precise.'
'It was all about heightened detail, crispness, silences and a slight sacrifice of warmth and texture.'
'Match it carefully with your system to avoid an over-etched sound, and you'll have a deck for life.'

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
$15000 in the US with the JMW-12 Fatboy Gimbal tonearm. VPI is now distributing van den Hul cartridges to their dealers so expect more vdH on VPI.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
As a previous Classic 3/4 owner, and based on general familiarity with the line through friends and such, I simply don't see the build quality vs price to be a compelling story with VPI. Numerous problems with the Classic line for me, and beyond strange engineering choices made by VPI.... Arms that don't do anti-skate well resulting in the ultimate recommendation from Harry that "no anti-skate sounds better" (LOL). Then after 500+ hours a common side-effect being cantilevers that are visibly skewed and needing to go to Soundsmith for realignment. Arms that flop around and don't truly maintain constant azimuth from outer to inner grooves. The inter-related nature of VTF and Azimuth where it is not possible to adjust one without affecting the other. (Soundsmith gadgets helped but were imperfect). A captive record spindle that if it comes loose requires the user to replace the entire platter. The list of personal gripes goes on. And then to top it all off, there was the VPI customer service black hole (beyond merely frustrating) - so never ever again for me. Contrasting VPI service to Kuzma is apples and tangelos. Franc answers emails himself personally and usually within 10 minutes, and is always looking to help. I've never even needed any service on my Kuzma, but Franc is always willing to offer advice on any topic related to the table.

On the flip side, what I like with the $15k VPI DD table is the solid aluminum plinth in lieu of MDF. That is of course only *if* it's critically damped - which the aluminum "JMW" tonearm was NOT. And the new gimbal arm HAS to be a step forward in terms of solving the real lack of engineering in the unipivot. But again, VPI engineering has always historically left me in states of scratching my head to flat out pissed off. So why should I believe they've turned some major corner now. I don't.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Baselio you are right on your VPI observations and comments, being a VPI owner myself I can understand your frustration.

I know that Franc will answer himself on all of the questions, however Kuzma turntables have failed (IMHO) to provide the VPI sound. Just two weeks ago it happened to be present on a side to side comparison between an Avenger reference and a Kuzma Stabi XL DC (same cartridge same electronics and speakers) and the differences were pretty obvious in all sound and stage aspects.

I am in the market for replacing my VPI but certainly a Kuzma turntable is falling short. However I believe that their tonearms are value for money.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
XL DC has a fantastic stage and drive. It's almost like an idler but with inner detail and a linear response. My friend has the XL DC, and sometimes the soundstage seems to extend through the wall into the neighbor's yard. :p So, your experience doesn't align with mine. I've actually heard an Avenger with a 4-point creatively mounted. I'll pass. Horses for courses.

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I will certainly disagree with your comments Bazelio because besides the subjective opinion of all of us, actual measurements took place and the big Kuzma had demonstrated big wow and flutter measurements comparing to the Avenger as well as considerable speed variation.

the Kuzma dealer said that this problem has been identified and a new air bearing line has been implemented along with higher mass plynth.

as I said Kuzma fell short at this comparison in presence of many people and Kuzma representative

i am not saying that VPIs are the best (remember I am in the market ) in the world but they are certainly way better than Kuzma

Reactions: bonzo75

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Wow and flutter are a different issue which creates a waivering to the sound, though. What were the "big" wow and flutter measured? Big wow and flutter are indicators of a damaged bearing. It is ruby and very fragile. When setting the massive XL platter on it, one needs a helper to be extremely light about it. Even my Stabi M with DC motor measured below 0.01% deviation when I set it up. And I would expect the massive platter of the XL to exhibit even lower flutter due to its mass. Wow has been measurably low since even the AC version of the XL (see old Analog Planet measurements). The DC version improved slightly from there. I think the air bearing is designed as an incremental improvement, still. Not due to a "big" problem. I'll measure my friend's XL DC table the next time I'm there to see what it is. But something seems fishy with "big" numbers. They're not normal per other data.

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Bazelio take it easy you are acting as if you were a Kuzma dealer or Franc himself.

Kuzma turntables are well known for their mediocre performance. But if you like them that’s absolutely fine.

This is a thread for the VPI DD not your Kuzma turntable, lastly what you were expecting from Kuzma to tell you?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
LOL I never brought Kuzma turntables into the discussion. You did! I only mentioned Kuzma in terms of customer service vs the VPI black hole and responded to correct your misinformation about wow and flutter. This thread is about VPI DD, and also about the historic poor price to performance, engineering, and manufacturing by VPI. So getting back on topic, someone PM'd me after reading this thread to comment that his dealer received their first VPI DD for display and had to ship it back immediately due to defects with the motor. Par for the course with VPI.

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
i agree, but don’t compare please Kuzma with VPI

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Go again and ask Franc Kuzma, I am sure he will assure you that you own the best turntable in the market right now!!!

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I agree, Franc Kuzma agrees too!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing