VR-55 spikes and hardwood floors?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hi Leif and other experienced VSA speakers‘ users:)

I am now home auditioning a pair of wonderful VR-55 Active speakers. I have hardwood floors. According to the local distributor, the speakers come without any coupling disks for the spikes. As I am used to put all speakers on some sort of spikes, I used some basic coupling disks, which distributor brought with him. Then I read in the manual, that in case of hardwood floors, you recommend to decouple the speakers with some rubber decoupling feet, and spikes are only for carpeted floors. Is this true? I don’t think my dealer has the rubber decoupling feet. Shall I leave the speakers on the spikes? I also have large Star Sound decoupling disks, maybe I should try them?
What is the best option in case of hardwood floors?
By the way, even without any break in the speakers sound so good:)

Thanks in advance,
Aziz

Last edited:
Reactions: Leif S

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

I am now home auditioning a pair of wonderful VR-55 Active speakers. I have hardwood floors. According to the local distributor, the speakers come without any coupling disks for the spikes. As I am used to put all speakers on some sort of spikes, I used some basic coupling disks, which distributor brought with him. Then I read in the manual, that in case of hardwood floors, you recommend to decouple the speakers with some rubber decoupling feet, and spikes are only for carpeted floors. Is this true? I don’t think my dealer has the rubber decoupling feet. Shall I leave the speakers on the spikes? I also have large Star Sound decoupling disks, maybe I should try them?

Thanks in advance,
Aziz
Hello Aziz,
I'm so excited for you to be able to demo the speakers in your home. For hardwood floors I like to use the Herbies decoupling feet. I will send you the link in a pm. You said you had some disk to try and they may work great. If you have time maybe we can talk on whatsapp and discuss setup. I love pictures
The VR-55 s require very little toe in and they will really open up after you get a few hundred hours on them. If I'm not mistaken, you are running the CH Precision electronics?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hello Aziz,
I'm so excited for you to be able to demo the speakers in your home. For hardwood floors I like to use the Herbies decoupling feet. I will send you the link in a pm. You said you had some disk to try and they may work great. If you have time maybe we can talk on whatsapp and discuss setup. I love pictures
The VR-55 s require very little toe in and they will really open up after you get a few hundred hours on them. If I'm not mistaken, you are running the CH Precision electronics?
Hello Leif,
This is a picture of the setup.
F273B4DA-6735-4470-B298-8AA9AC4BF7CF.jpeg I am running the speakers with the electronics I currently have (listed in my signature). Andreas also brought CH DAC, which I tried, but I still prefer my Lampi:)
Now, I put the speakers without any toe in. The sound is a bit too dense for my taste. It may be an issue with break in or with my SET amplifier. I only have time till Wednesday, so the speakers won’t even have 100 hours on them, when have to return them.

Aziz

Reactions: treitz3

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hello Leif,
This is a picture of the setup.
View attachment 60633 I am running the speakers with the electronics I currently have (listed in my signature). Andreas also brought CH DAC, which I tried, but I still prefer my Lampi:)
Now, I put the speakers without any toe in. The sound is a bit too dense for my taste. It may be an issue with break in or with my SET amplifier. I only have time till Wednesday, so the speakers won’t even have 100 hours on them, when have to return them.

Aziz
Yes you will need a little toe in for the center image to lock in nicely but by no means aim the tweeters at your ears. Your set up looks great. I also am a HUGE Lampi fan.
My whatsapp number is
+1-951-233-9852

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Yes you will need a little toe in for the center image to lock in nicely but by no means aim the tweeters at your ears. Your set up looks great. I also am a HUGE Lampi fan.
My whatsapp number is
+1-951-233-9852
Thanks, I can call you now, if it’s a good time.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong

Thanks in advance,
Aziz

Hello Aziz,
This might be helpful - please have a look!
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ng-speakers-to-floor.29925/page-3#post-641065

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing