VYGER ATLANTIS MK IV

andrewbrownstone

Jul 23, 2019
I have been using a VGER Atlantis MK IV for around six months. We have experienced a number of problems with the Compressor/Vacuum System. However, my good friend Dr. Bjorn Osten has engineered a remarkable solution. He has basically started from scratch and re-designed the entire compressor/vacuum system and electronic interface control unit. He has separated out the power supplies feeding the turntable and arm; manufactured a new PCB; written a new Operating System; fabricated a separate off-board power supply; created a suction dump so that you can release the record within 2 seconds to turn over/change.
We are sharing these design features with Giuseppe (the brilliant designer of the VYGER) and Enrico.
My intention is to also buy the VYGER Indian Signature next. But the Atlantis is now a remarkable turntable. It is easy to operate. The Vacuum System is virtually quite (so it is located next to the Turntable in the same room and not in another room).
For comparison I have a Da Vinci Gabrielle MK II (arm and cartridge) and a Clearaudio Master Innovation with a TTII Parallel Tracking Arm (and a Goldfinger Statement Cartridge).
In the VYGER I was using a Mysonic Platinum Signature but replaced this with a Topwing Red Sparrow. The former is a great cartridge but more forward. The Red Sparrow is more laid back, more natural sounding and more convincing, realistic and musical.
I use these front ends into a Valve Phonostage/Pre/Power Amp System driving a variety of speakers. My aim here is merely to focus on the VYGER and the Topwing Red Sparrow.
If any of you guys have a VYGER and have experienced problems, there are no solutions that fix these known issues.
We are in discussions with VYGER for them to adopt these improvements so existing owners of these amazing turntables can take advantage of them. Very few people presently know of these possibilities.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Congrats, Leon. The Vyger is truly an exceptional turntable so I can only imagine how good it would be with enhanced electronics and super quiet compressor unit.

I genuinely miss my Indian Signature - it has an incredible magic about it that is very rare to find anywhere. The Sparrow + Vyger is a marriage made in heaven.

Enjoy!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've been lucky enough to be up close to the Vyger, and tbh love the aesthetics and SQ. But I had heard it was marred by unreliability. Is the idea that current owners can get this system as a simple retro fit, not needing the whole system to be returned to Italy? And new owners will get the full bulletproof solution?
Hopefully at not much extra cost to current RRP.
Good to hear the Vyger company are open to this.

andrewbrownstone

Jul 23, 2019
I've been lucky enough to be up close to the Vyger, and tbh love the aesthetics and SQ. But I had heard it was marred by unreliability. Is the idea that current owners can get this system as a simple retro fit, not needing the whole system to be returned to Italy? And new owners will get the full bulletproof solution?
Hopefully at not much extra cost to current RRP.
Good to hear the Vyger company are open to this.
The position today with VYGER is that they have modified their Compressor System and Electronic Control Interface. The current models manufactured by VYGER are much improved models. Giuseppe Viola who designs and manufactures this fantastic turntable, is constantly modifying and improving it. So, anyone in the market for a world class reference turntable should consider an Atlantis or Indian Signature.
The point I was making is that for owners of older models who may have experienced compressor problems, these can be resolved. The likely cost of the modifications I had carried out to my Atlantis was between £8,000 and £10,000.
However, I have enough confidence in VYGER to want to buy their standard Indian Signature Turntable ex factory and with no modifications.
I mentioned that I also use other Turntables (as do many serious audiophiles). Each of them have a different sonic character. A bit like your choice of cartridges. You cannot point to one and say it is the best or it sounds the best. Often the source material dictates which turntable, cartridge, amplifier and speakers you may want to use. I have a choice between many different types, Horns, Electrostatics or conventional transducers.
But what we can determine is what components have a fantastic build quality, aesthetic appearance, ease of use, reliability and excellent performance. Add in value for money and the VYGER Atlantis or Indian Signature possess all of these and are as good as any other turntable, regardless of price. I say this objectively and with empirical experience. Nothing is perfect. At this level everything is a trade-off. But with the VYGER you pretty much get exceptional performance, build quality and value for money.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So the changes Bjorn has wrought have been incorporated into examples currently being sold? And existing models can be readily modified to ideal?
Win win for new customers and those already running Vygers?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
subscribed

BjörnÖsten

Jan 28, 2020
Hello guys,

I am not a big poster of forums, but really just wanted to say that I had the great pleasure of spending some time with both Giuseppe and Leon at the weekend fully reviewing certain aspects of the V.Y.G.E.R range.

I do not want to give anything away, but we have looked at tweaks to the control surface and pneumatic system which will give greater insight and control to the end user.

I will say that this is a great product already, anything I have done and will do are tweaks and modernity improvements in order to remain current, Giuseppe is an incredible engineer and the range of decks he provides are outstanding both from commercial and performance perspective and Giuseppe is a pleasure to spend time with.

Anyway that is my 2 cents for all it is worth, just felt compelled to let you guys know.

Many thanks for taking the time to read.

Björn

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I have been using a VGER Atlantis MK IV for around six months. We have experienced a number of problems with the Compressor/Vacuum System. However, my good friend Dr. Bjorn Osten has engineered a remarkable solution. He has basically started from scratch and re-designed the entire compressor/vacuum system and electronic interface control unit. He has separated out the power supplies feeding the turntable and arm; manufactured a new PCB; written a new Operating System; fabricated a separate off-board power supply; created a suction dump so that you can release the record within 2 seconds to turn over/change.
We are sharing these design features with Giuseppe (the brilliant designer of the VYGER) and Enrico.
My intention is to also buy the VYGER Indian Signature next. But the Atlantis is now a remarkable turntable. It is easy to operate. The Vacuum System is virtually quite (so it is located next to the Turntable in the same room and not in another room).
For comparison I have a Da Vinci Gabrielle MK II (arm and cartridge) and a Clearaudio Master Innovation with a TTII Parallel Tracking Arm (and a Goldfinger Statement Cartridge).
In the VYGER I was using a Mysonic Platinum Signature but replaced this with a Topwing Red Sparrow. The former is a great cartridge but more forward. The Red Sparrow is more laid back, more natural sounding and more convincing, realistic and musical.
I use these front ends into a Valve Phonostage/Pre/Power Amp System driving a variety of speakers. My aim here is merely to focus on the VYGER and the Topwing Red Sparrow.
If any of you guys have a VYGER and have experienced problems, there are no solutions that fix these known issues.
We are in discussions with VYGER for them to adopt these improvements so existing owners of these amazing turntables can take advantage of them. Very few people presently know of these possibilities.
Congratulations it’s a stunning turntable.

andrewbrownstone

Jul 23, 2019
I have now installed the VYGER Indian Signature MK IV turntable which features the new VYGER Inertial Arm as well as a standard second Tangential Arm. All these components are awesome and playing back vinyl on them is now a real pleasure attaining new standards for realistic sound reproduction and minimal tracking error. Giuseppe has updated his compressor system. Further refinement is in hand and the delivery of all new models (I am told) will feature this new system.
Now how many high performing air bearing turntables do you know of where you can site the compressor in the same room as you are listening in. (Answers on a postcard please). De facto my compressor is located near to the turntable and is not obtrusive when music is playing.
The new Inertial Arm is simply incredible. I am using a Mysonic Platinum Signature Magnetic Cartridge in this arm. The sound is fast, articulate and very dynamic. I was listening to the Tony Bennett Lady Gaga album (Love For Sale) which is a fairly standard pressing on 2 LPs, and what extremely impressed by the realism of the sound production I was obtaining (via my Thomas Meyer Pre-amp, Aesthetix Io Exclipse Phonostage and Edge Audio Signature SR1 Monobloc Power Amps into Hansen Emperor Loudspeakers with Zensati, Sosna Kubala and Cardas cabling).
I will attempt to upload a video of the system in situ.
In my opinion the VYGER Indian or Atlantis attain new levels of vinyl playback which are exceptional at their price points. There is no such thing as the best. But if you are serious about vinyl then these are two turntables at realistically attainable prices that are well worth a listen.

Attachments

• IMG_0790 VYGER 1.jpg
    IMG_0790 VYGER 1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0791 VYGER INDIAN 2.jpg
    IMG_0791 VYGER INDIAN 2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0792 VYGER INDIAN 3.jpg
    IMG_0792 VYGER INDIAN 3.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0793 VYGER Compressor.jpg
    IMG_0793 VYGER Compressor.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0794 VYGER Regulator.jpg
    IMG_0794 VYGER Regulator.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0796 Topwing Red Sparrow.jpg
    IMG_0796 Topwing Red Sparrow.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0797 Mysonic Platinum Signature.jpg
    IMG_0797 Mysonic Platinum Signature.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 102

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I have now installed the VYGER Indian Signature MK IV turntable which features the new VYGER Inertial Arm as well as a standard second Tangential Arm. All these components are awesome and playing back vinyl on them is now a real pleasure attaining new standards for realistic sound reproduction and minimal tracking error. Giuseppe has updated his compressor system. Further refinement is in hand and the delivery of all new models (I am told) will feature this new system.
Now how many high performing air bearing turntables do you know of where you can site the compressor in the same room as you are listening in. (Answers on a postcard please). De facto my compressor is located near to the turntable and is not obtrusive when music is playing.
The new Inertial Arm is simply incredible. I am using a Mysonic Platinum Signature Magnetic Cartridge in this arm. The sound is fast, articulate and very dynamic. I was listening to the Tony Bennett Lady Gaga album (Love For Sale) which is a fairly standard pressing on 2 LPs, and what extremely impressed by the realism of the sound production I was obtaining (via my Thomas Meyer Pre-amp, Aesthetix Io Exclipse Phonostage and Edge Audio Signature SR1 Monobloc Power Amps into Hansen Emperor Loudspeakers with Zensati, Sosna Kubala and Cardas cabling).
I will attempt to upload a video of the system in situ.
In my opinion the VYGER Indian or Atlantis attain new levels of vinyl playback which are exceptional at their price points. There is no such thing as the best. But if you are serious about vinyl then these are two turntables at realistically attainable prices that are well worth a listen.
Awesome

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I have my VYGER's air/vacumn pump sitting right behind the TT stands. It is silent.

It took me a while to get my VYGER pump and new latest arm matched up properly, but once I got the latest pump that matched the latest arm, it's rock solid. Never any issues or adjustments to make and sounds amazing to me. I now love the aesthetics, performance and reliability of the Atlantis. It's a keeper for me.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is there much of a SQ difference btwn the Indian w long legs, and more conventional Atlantis? Or is it purely an aesthetics thing?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is there much of a SQ difference btwn the Indian w long legs, and more conventional Atlantis? Or is it purely an aesthetics thing?

From listening at Bill's and G's I remember the Indian to have more weight than the Atlantis, but the Atlantis to have more nuance and airiness. Not that the Atlantis lacks weight, just that the Indian had more.

From what I understand the tripod legs require very stable flooring while Atlantis has more flexibility of placement

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Re very stable flooring, I'll say!
No doubt the tripod-legged Indian has the most unique look of any tt on the market, it's worth choosing the option for this result alone.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
From listening at Bill's and G's I remember the Indian to have more weight than the Atlantis, but the Atlantis to have more nuance and airiness. Not that the Atlantis lacks weight, just that the Indian had more.

From what I understand the tripod legs require very stable flooring while Atlantis has more flexibility of placement

Yep that is bang on. My overall preference was for the Indian but I am lucky to have solid concrete floors for it. It had more weight in the mid bass and a fraction more outright bass extension than the Atlantis.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Andrew! That is very exciting!

The whole Vyger system looks fantastic!

TDX

Jan 14, 2020

How stable is stable enough? For example solid timber floor? Does it has to be on tile or concrete?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How stable is stable enough? For example solid timber floor? Does it has to be on tile or concrete?

If the floor is not shaking due to vibrations.

Btw, don't be under the impression Atlantis is a compromise. Both are sonic equals with minor differences, one looks heftier. If you interested and not sure about the floor get the Atlantis if you can afford it

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing