Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
This image represents the modesty of majority of mortals like me, see the unattainable with humility and admiration from our real position. :cool:
2174D3F6-3C6E-4BE7-AC70-AEA575FBC1F7.jpeg

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Aka "if you need to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it".

Reactions: Lagonda

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
This image represents the modesty of majority of mortals like me, see the unattainable with humility and admiration from our real position. :cool:
View attachment 94058
For me, despite sonic issues on T,F,S, by Sunday, one of the top three best sounds at the show.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

Inter alia comments on the Kharma/Wadax room

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
View attachment 94058
Interesting…do you or does anyone know what the Robert Koda K160 is sitting on? Looks like some kind of combination round silver cylinder and black cylinder?

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
“But surely the biggest disappointment at the show was the poor performance of so many high-end digital contenders. Streamed music has certainly contributed to a general decline in musical standards (it’s no coincidence that, with the sole exception of Wadax, all the best sounding rooms were playing physical media) but it was also noticeable that none of the highly touted digital brands trying to close the musical and technological gap to Wadax managed to deliver. MSB, TotalDAC and dCS all disappointed, with sound that varied from sterile through to actively unpleasant.”
No more questions..

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
“But surely the biggest disappointment at the show was the poor performance of so many high-end digital contenders. Streamed music has certainly contributed to a general decline in musical standards (it’s no coincidence that, with the sole exception of Wadax, all the best sounding rooms were playing physical media) but it was also noticeable that none of the highly touted digital brands trying to close the musical and technological gap to Wadax managed to deliver. MSB, TotalDAC and dCS all disappointed, with sound that varied from sterile through to actively unpleasant.”
No more questions..

So i wasnt the only one , lol.
No wonder why i play tape at home , Wadax being indeed a pleasant exeption .
Best of the rest was CH digital afaik.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
ok, fair enough. nothing to quibble with.

so allow me to more narrowly ask my question; can you cite an example of any digital playback that fulfils those expectations for you? gear and system context?

In the past i had some great experiences whit some digital gear like:
-Cec tlox > Audio Note Dac 5 Signature (Best for human voices)
-Zanden 2000P > Zanden 5000 Sig (allround perfect just a litle weak on Bass if your system need some added Bass)
-Metronome Kalista reference Cd transport whit the original battery powered power supply pairen whit Lampizator Pacific Dac whit great results (at the moment i am playing whit this combo)

All 3 combos have after fine tuning cable matching and tube rolling have made performance at the highest levels...

Not to forget to mention i have used for many years a spare cd player in my demo room and that was a one box player of Audio Research CD8 this player is up to date still the best once box player i have heard no nonsense much better than "some" very very expensief good looking bas sounding gear....

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No more questions..
Except TotalDac sounded great!

Reactions: christoph

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
So i wasnt the only one , lol.
No wonder why i play tape at home , Wadax being indeed a pleasant exeption .
Best of the rest was CH digital afaik.
Of course you were not the only one. You were not the only person who listened with an open mind, that is without preconceived ideas and without (other) commercial interests.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
In the past i had some great experiences whit some digital gear like:
-Cec tlox > Audio Note Dac 5 Signature (Best for human voices)
-Zanden 2000P > Zanden 5000 Sig (allround perfect just a litle weak on Bass if your system need some added Bass)
-Metronome Kalista reference Cd transport whit the original battery powered power supply pairen whit Lampizator Pacific Dac whit great results (at the moment i am playing whit this combo)

All 3 combos have after fine tuning cable matching and tube rolling have made performance at the highest levels...

Not to forget to mention i have used for many years a spare cd player in my demo room and that was a one box player of Audio Research CD8 this player is up to date still the best once box player i have heard no nonsense much better than "some" very very expensief good looking bas sounding gear....
so it took you 8 days to think that through enough to answer. ok. thank you for taking the time to relate the data points. i will certainly keep your essential list of attributes in mind if i hear any of those combos to see what i hear. i have encountered most all of those pieces at one point or another. need to pay more attention.

it also might be fair to say you have a strong preference for silver discs and tubed dacs. just say'n.

and one follow up question; was there any digital at Munich that hit those attributes for you? where you could pick out those things and attribute it to a digital source? thank you. from your response evidently no, but just wanted to make sure.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I’m not sure, but they seem Stillpoints…
Thanks…perhaps black Stillpoints Ultra 7s on the very bottom but with some very big silver cylinder on top of it directly underneath the chassis.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thanks…perhaps black Stillpoints Ultra 7s on the very bottom but with some very big silver cylinder on top of it directly underneath the chassis.

Lloyd have you heard Wadax ?

Besides you as a rockport lover , I think you d love the Rockport Lyra as well , very good speaker

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
so it took you 8 days to think that through enough to answer. ok. thank you for taking the time to relate the data points. i will certainly keep your essential list of attributes in mind if i hear any of those combos to see what i hear. i have encountered most all of those pieces at one point or another. need to pay more attention.

it also might be fair to say you have a strong preference for silver discs and tubed dacs. just say'n.

and one follow up question; was there any digital at Munich that hit those attributes for you? where you could pick out those things and attribute it to a digital source? thank you. from your response evidently no, but just wanted to make sure.

I am not familiar whit streamers and the one i hav e heard didnt sound "natural" to me, doesn't mean they are good or bad i only have not experienced the "better" ones yet.... Soon i like to visit Taiko Audio, i hear many great feedback regarding Taiko streamers hope it can convince me that a streamer can sound as good as a top cd transport or even better...??? If so its so much more comfortable to use streamer!

Once at room of Alsyvox all other equipment was from Omega audio from Italy also the Cd Transport and Dac that was from Omega Audio really great sounding system and in one of other rooms forget which other equipment i remember that i liked very much the MSB top of the line Dac sound very dynamic and natural.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

another best sound at the show report.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing