Wadia 6

Jon Q

VIP/Donor
Jun 16, 2019
Lisbon
Dear Sir´s
I have a varied collection of CD's, and I'm about to get a Wadia 6 for a great price.
It will be used as transport. The dac is external.
The question is, if using the dac of the wadia 6 is it 18 or 20 bit? The manual says it is 20 bit, but the chip-set DAC is 4x AD1864N-K, 18bit, there are also some versions with 4x PCM63K, 20 bit.
Any reason ,for this?

Jon

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Dear Sir´s
I have a varied collection of CD's, and I'm about to get a Wadia 6 for a great price.
The question is, if using the dac of the wadia 6 is it 18 or 20 bit? The manual says it is 20 bit, but the chip-set DAC is 4x AD1864N-K, 18bit, there are also some versions with 4x PCM63K, 20 bit.
Any reason ,for this?

Jon

I dont recall any of the old wadia units supporting anything more than 16/44 or 48 formats. Maybe the extra bits were there fir the digital volume control.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I suspect the DAC will only deal with whatever bit length is input to it. Obviously, it can’t add bits.

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
Dear Sir´s
Any reason ,for this?

Jon
Old thread but did you get the wadia 6? I bought one with the intention of using it for my bedroom system. I personally didn't realize any of them had anything but 63k dacs anyhow did you try the player by it self? I really enjoy mine I also have a krell kps20i that has 63k dacs in it and had an enlighten audio design dac that had them as well I have always liked the 63k. My favorite players most of them had the ultra analog dacs in them. My maim system has a sonic frontier transport and dac 3 with that chip set. If you bought the wadia I would be interested in k owing what you thought of the player by itself.

Regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing