Want to buy a new espresso machine

MichaelAWarner

Nov 12, 2018
Hello all,
I am planning to buy an espresso machine for my newly built home. I am an espresso addict and, I started drinking coffee when I was a kid. I like the taste of traditional espresso and, I am pretty confident that I can make good coffee. Now, coming back to the topic, I know there are many types of espresso machines available in the market. Each one has a different configuration and design.

But, I am looking for an espresso machine with these features,
Water filter
Coffee grinder
Frothing wand (everyone needs it)
And, a cup warmer (optional)

Like I said in the beginning, I am a big fan of traditional espresso. I always used the traditional method to make my espresso. Even though I do own a portable espresso machine, I have never used it a lot. So, I am just wondering whether the taste of espresso is going to be as same as earlier. Is there anyone who moved from a traditional method of coffee making to espresso machines and satisfied with the new taste?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'd recommend going with a separate grinder and water filter. You can spend from ~$1k to $10k+, what's your budget?

IMO, espresso machines are by far the best way to make coffee. You won't regret it.

If I were buying a new machine I'd go with a spring-lever type, probably Londinium or Profitec. The lack of the need to backflush as well as the spring's declining pressure profile and relative simplicity make them a good choice for home use imo.

MichaelAWarner

Nov 12, 2018
Thank you DaveC. And, thanks again for recommending the spring lever. I don't know how I missed that part lol.
I have a budget of ~$6k. Would you mind explaining to me why do you prefer to go with a separate grinder and water filter?

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Reactions: MichaelAWarner

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'd go with a separate filter and grinder for ease of maintenance and simplicity. Automatic espresso machines are great for offices but if you're really into coffee this will produce the best results and allow the more ability to adjust the extraction to your liking.

The recommendations below should be a lifetime investment, these are great quality and performance machines. I have a similar setup that costs about 1/3rd as much but this is what I'd buy tomorrow if I could.

For $6k I'd go with the Monolith flat-burr grinder for $2500. It needs to be ordered a few months ahead of time as production runs sell out before they are made.

https://www.kafatek.com/index.php/monolith-titan-flat-burr-espresso-grinder/

And a Londinium spring-lever type espresso machine... $2600 GBP but who knows what the pound will do, maybe it'll drop a bit more. Profitec Pro 800 is also a good choice, AFAIK they use the same spring-lever mechanism (Bosco). Spring lever do not need to be backflushed and have a very good pressure profile without buying an expensive and complicated machine that can do pressure profiling.

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/londinium-i

https://www.profitec-espresso.com/en/products/espresso-machines/pro-800.html

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'd want to grab a Londinium R (LP1 would be nice but needs a different power line run to it). Salvatore makes a killer machine but it is rather spendy.

I wouldn't go with a Compak grinder, unless you love a really Fing loud grinder sound. Plus for single stuff at home the monolith's make a lot of sense.

Water filter? That depends on what your water is like to start with. Tell us about that first. It's very common for people to implement them when they would have been much better off without it. The reality is good water means good espresso, but the fake reality everyone seems to believe is that only near distilled water is good water for espresso.

sleepysurf

Sep 8, 2010
Recently bought a Delonghi Magnifica XS from Costco (~$500). It's a compact automatic (single boiler), with grinder, replaceable water filter cartridge, and steam wand (for manual frothing). It's clearly NOT a high-end model, but it cranks out pretty decent Espresso and Americano, and is simple to clean and maintain.

MichaelAWarner

Nov 12, 2018
Thank you for sharing this amazing stuff, BMCG (I like to know what does your username mean lol). You know about espresso, I guess you are a wonderful person to hang out with, of course with a cup of espresso ;)

@DaveC, The extraction part is always a problem for me. I hope your solution will help me out this time. I am surely going to take a look at Monolith. Any idea whether it's available in Canada?

That's a cool set up @sefischer1. Do you mind sharing the secret?

@Folsom , Yes, I agree with you. I have become more sensible after reading what Mr.DaveC has said.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ive also been researching for my next machine as my ECM Giotto is about due for replacement after making really good coffee for the last 20 years.

I’m thinking a Bezerra Strega lever machine. My mate’s Profitec lever makes exceptional coffee but since the Strega has a slightly more compact footprint and is similarly good as a machine it will be the way I’ll go. I’m really looking forward to a lever machine for that extra control on extraction in the morning coffee ritual. Hope it also lasts me the next 20 years of the daily grind and espresso pour and coffee fix

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
Thank you for sharing this amazing stuff, BMCG (I like to know what does your username mean lol). You know about espresso, I guess you are a wonderful person to hang out with, of course with a cup of espresso ;)

@DaveC, The extraction part is always a problem for me. I hope your solution will help me out this time. I am surely going to take a look at Monolith. Any idea whether it's available in Canada?

That's a cool set up @sefischer1. Do you mind sharing the secret?

@Folsom , Yes, I agree with you. I have become more sensible after reading what Mr.DaveC has said.
I'd be happy to share the secret. Which one do you want to know?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Ive also been researching for my next machine as my ECM Giotto is about due for replacement after making really good coffee for the last 20 years.

I’m thinking a Bezerra Strega lever machine. My mate’s Profitec lever makes exceptional coffee but since the Strega has a slightly more compact footprint and is similarly good as a machine it will be the way I’ll go. I’m really looking forward to a lever machine for that extra control on extraction in the morning coffee ritual. Hope it also lasts me the next 20 years of the daily grind and espresso pour and coffee fix

I have a Strega and can't recommend it. I ordered mine from Italy for about 1/2 of the cost of a US distributor. It came with the wrong pump (of course a much cheaper pump, not a nicer pump) and the unit would shut off due to temperature, although it indicated it shut off due to lack of water. I have mine plumbed in so the entire low-water circuit should be bypassed, but still... It'll stay on in the winter with the temp set to 68 but set to 70 is enough to make it shut down after an hour or so of being on. The unit is built poorly and the entire unit flexes as you pull the lever down, if you take the covers off the frame is riveted together with no triangulation. Finally, it uses it's own spring-lever group and good luck getting parts for it if a local distributor doesn't have them. Bezerra wouldn't help me and made me go through their incompetent distributor, it didn't work out and I have a machine that isn't as advertised and won't always stay on.

I'm looking forward to replacing it right after I got it. IMO you're far better off spending a bit more on a machine that uses the Bosco group like Londinium or Profitec.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
The grinder is most important for good espresso. This Italian grinder is cost effective and rivals in specs and performance the Mazzer Mini's widely used professionally. I've owned 2 of them for 2-3 years now and they have worked reliably and as advertised. Sometimes there are coupon codes which will allow you to buy one for well under $500.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/quam...MIuLeko6jZ3gIVciCtBh3lkAtyEAQYASABEgLTlfD_BwE

Now that you have some perfectly ground coffee, it's time to make espresso. I like this unit because it features separate boilers for steam and brew, features stainless steel and brass construction, rotary pump, and uses industry standard components. 3 yrs on and it looks as good as new. Best of all, can be had for under $2000

https://www.wholelattelove.com/expobar-brewtus-iv-r-with-rotary-pump

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Ceado grinder and La Marzocco machine -- GREAT combo! :cool:

Reactions: sefischer1

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
Ceado grinder and La Marzocco machine -- GREAT combo! :cool:
For the serious, and even wealthier, espresso lover. ;)

Thankfully, most coffee equipment pricing is still following the rules of broad market appeal rather than limited niche luxury product appeal. My whole setup with dual grinders cost less than many high-end power chords.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The grinder is most important for good espresso. This Italian grinder is cost effective and rivals in specs and performance the Mazzer Mini's widely used professionally. I've owned 2 of them for 2-3 years now and they have worked reliably and as advertised. Sometimes there are coupon codes which will allow you to buy one for well under $500.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/quam...MIuLeko6jZ3gIVciCtBh3lkAtyEAQYASABEgLTlfD_BwE

With the grinder I think you need to decide if you're going to use different coffees. I like having 2-3 choices available so a grinder with a hopper doesn't work for me. The other alternative is grinders intended for single dosing like the Kafetek Monolith among others. I have a Compak flat-burr grinder I modified for single dosing simply by removing the hopper and using an cheap aluminum tamper with a ball-end handle as a bean weight. I weigh the beans then put them in the grinder with the tamper on top to keep the beans from "popcorning" out. This allows me to switch beans easily but takes a few more seconds then simply pushing a button on a grinder with a hopper. For a single doser you want to make sure you have a grinder with little grounds retention. My Compak can be almost completely emptied of grounds using a simple bamboo skewer to clear the chute.

On the subject of beans this has been a favorite, and they are local...

https://dragonflycoffeeroasters.com/products/emmas-jo-the-leam-hammer-blend-12-oz-whole-bean

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing