wardswebllc.com
Here is my main music system.

Clearaudio Champion II with SME 309 and Benz Micro Glider
Shanling CD-T1500 CDP
McIntosh C36 preamp
Juicy Music Tercel phono pre
PS Audio Quintessence Power Center
Shanling SP-80 mono blocks on the floor
Speakers are DIY: JBL 2235H, JBL 077, Altec 802-8G on 511B horns. Cabinets are baltic birch and MDF veneered with sapele pommele

Reactions: Folsom

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Tastefully done.

BTW, if those are DIY speakers, you need to get into the business.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
The only constant is change. I just swapped out the Mac for a SST Ambrosia pre. It also took over phono duty, so the Tercel is gone along with the shelf it sat on.

I was so use to the lush sound of the McIntosh that rolling in a non-colored pre like this took me by surprise at first listen. It is very clean and detailed without adding anything. It would equate it to using sharpen in Photoshop.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The only constant is change. I just swapped out the Mac for a SST Ambrosia pre. It also took over phono duty, so the Tercel is gone along with the shelf it sat on.

I was so use to the lush sound of the McIntosh that rolling in a non-colored pre like this took me by surprise at first listen. It is very clean and detailed without adding anything. It would equate it to using sharpen in Photoshop.

So, do you like it better now?

Lee

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Here is my main music system.

Clearaudio Champion II with SME 309 and Benz Micro Glider
Shanling CD-T1500 CDP
McIntosh C36 preamp
Juicy Music Tercel phono pre
PS Audio Quintessence Power Center
Shanling SP-80 mono blocks on the floor
Speakers are DIY: JBL 2235H, JBL 077, Altec 802-8G on 511B horns. Cabinets are baltic birch and MDF veneered with sapele pommele

Man is that ever beautiful! I built a custom JBL rig back in 1967 when I ran a high end shop in DFW area. Seeing these make me wish I had them back or could do it again.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Man is that ever beautiful! I built a custom JBL rig back in 1967 when I ran a high end shop in DFW area. Seeing these make me wish I had them back or could do it again.

Let me know if you're ever in San Antonio and you will have to stop by for drinks and tunes.

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Let me know if you're ever in San Antonio and you will have to stop by for drinks and tunes.

The same offer of a visit for music applies to you as well. Email me if travel brings you to DFW area and I will do the same when I'm in San Antonio.

Seeing your system made me search through my old audio photo files. I found a black and white print of my custom JBLs and scanned it to post here. They were 26" wide, 50" high and 21' deep, don't remember the weight but it required three people to move them.

They cost just under $2300.00 including the custom cabinets (my design) that were built locally. The drivers were essentially a JBL S7R plus Electro Voice T350 tweeter added on.

$2300.00 was quite a lot of money in 1967 and certainly a high end speaker at the time.

Attachments

• JBL S7R..jpg
    JBL S7R..jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 2,328

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Very cool. I love speakers the size of furniture. Most of the systems in my house have their rooms built around them.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Very cool. I love speakers the size of furniture. Most of the systems in my house have their rooms built around them.

Yeah trying doing that in a Manhattan apt. :)

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Yeah trying doing that in a Manhattan apt. :)

Yeppers, you need big rooms. So after the kids were gone, we moved to a bigger house with fewer bed rooms. Plenty of room to spread out and have more systems. LOL!

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
A day light picture featuring my Steely Dan Aja on canvas.

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Very nice!If one turntable wasn't enough,you got a modelled one too!
I loooove the pottery!

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Very nice!If one turntable wasn't enough,you got a modelled one too!
I loooove the pottery!

The little turntable is actually a radio. Press the little silver button on the front and the lid raises up. Move the tone arm to turn it on and rotate the platter to find your station. I think it's cool.

The pottery is by my daughter. You can't really tell much detail in the picture but it is covered in faces drawn into the clay. She works in clay, oils, water colors, charcoal, pen & ink and even does fashion design that she sews herself. She ran a fashion site for teens when when she was going to high school in France. I'm very proud of her and her many talents.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Christmas came a little early. Here is the new setup with the Conrad Johnson Premier 16LS line stage. Even my wife noticed the warmth of the system now.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The woodworking is impeccable. Wow.

Ummm. Where'd you get the little turntable radio? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing