Washing Machine + Service Man Woes

agc

Jan 12, 2016
A few nights ago I go to do my laundry. When my washing machine was done I went to check. Planning to remove items and toss in the dryer. Found a puddle of water under my washing machine. Could see it wasn't from the wall. So the next day (today) I contact a service company. Man comes and tests a fe things. And guess what? He finds NOTHING! And I was stuck with a $90.00 (inclu tax) bill for a "service call". That's more than a typical check-up at my dog's vet, my physician...etc. :) Couldn't tell me what happened. But did tell me where water leakage would have been coming from. So here I am back at square one. This could happen again. Though,, aft er he left I did one load of laundry. Nothing. :)

This happened to me before with another appliance. Problem occurred when I was alone. :) Service guy comes. Finds nothing. I get charged for a service call. :)

Quite the racket they got going. Only technical college education. Charge more than College professionals. :) Just so they could "have a look". Though he did test the washing machine. Just irks me he found nothing. If I didn't call him I would have saved myself $90.00. :)

I wondered if it couldn't be condensation? Water managing to build up in the back of the machine then forming a puddle under and in front of my machine? He said "No". :) We have nod idea where the puddle could have come from. :)

Said he wouldn't charge me. Then he charges me for the service call. I guess he meant to say for "labour". Didn't say that in his broken English.

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
1. The machine's behaviour is well known. Murphy's Law, or POIO (the Perversity Of Inanimate Objects). You can bet it'll do it again, but never when the serviceman is there. Like your car starts making a funny noise so you take it to the shop, but it never makes the noise while there is a mechanic in earshot.

2. He only charged you for work done. :p

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I would take the effort and time to put on a full wash, with clothes, and just hang around and monitor what happens during the cycle, checking every five minutes or so for the puddle starting to form under the machine - and especially when a different part of the cycle kicks in. A little bit of detective work, while a process is taking place, goes a long way ... ;).

agc

Jan 12, 2016
I would take the effort and time to put on a full wash, with clothes, and just hang around and monitor what happens during the cycle, checking every five minutes or so for the puddle starting to form under the machine - and especially when a different part of the cycle kicks in. A little bit of detective work, while a process is taking place, goes a long way ... ;).

I did a full wash right after he left. :) NOTHING!! :)) No water leakage.

Appliance Gods were having a little fun with me. HEH! Let's make his washing machine spring a leak yet not do it when tested by technician. :)

This "dryer attached to top of washer" was the builder's appliance given to the first owner of my suite 12 years ago. BLEEP is bound to happen eventually. :) I've been here for almost 3 years. This only happened once while I've been living here (condo suite). Techie claimed this set (by GE) isn't a bad set. And a builder (Persian) would give people "good" units? :) wink, WINK.

Wonder when it's going to happen again? :) Unexplainable phenomenon. Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Yep, I missed that bit about doing a wash straight after he left, :eek: !

Just a thought .. might it be the machine slightly overfilling, and the movement of clothes through the water splashing some over the the edges? An adjustment or replacement of the water fill switch might be worth trying ...

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
There is nothing more exciting or frustrating than t/s an intermittent problem. Especially when user(s) delete or remove all clues and ask you what happened

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Réparateur est vraiment French. Raymond is French too. That's a cool/imaginative username, I like it, it sounds 'professional'.

You repair washing machines obviously, so you are best @ helping us with them...your sig. You are an audiophile too in your leasure time...your rig.

I'm from near Montreal, je connais relativement bien des bons coins au Québec, et des bons gens de bonne humeur et de la bonne bouffe et la musique, évidemment. Très bien de t'avoir parmi nous Raymond.

Pour mes amis Québecois mon nom est Robert.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing